Levi's Vintage Clothing

glory days = valencia st.-made raw LVCs for $154...those were the days

not sure what my state of mind would be right now if i could look back and remember buying legit vintage levis for $5 a pop at the local men's store

No relationship at all. They are a premium, mass market product. When I last saw them, maybe 2008 or so, LVC were $189 (glory days) and these were maybe $120 or $140. THey are based on the standard mass market cut and details (for instance, no chanstitched hems, or internal rivets IIRC).

They aren't worth $245, or even the $199 the seller is asking for. I think that's the takeaway from Paul's advice.

Exactly.

Genuine LVC go for up to $200 or so on eBay - these are nice jeans, but worth closer to $100, especially considering you don't know exactly what cut they are or have an opportunity to try them on.

I had to give my LVC 501 1947 a second soak as the denim felt kind of brittle and did not really fall ("drape") well. This after wearing them for approximately 1.5 months. As it turned out there was still a lot of starch left in the denim, now I am waiting for them to dry. I assume the second soak will improve things somewhat, although I am not sure I will ever fully grow warm for the 1947 denim.

anybody have a pair of the spring bottom pants? They look great but are way past gone.

Hello guys, I'm new to levis.

I have just managed to get some made in Japan levi 503b-xx.

I will post pictures up when I receive them. In the mean time can anyone shed any light on frequency these are seen? Likes and dislikes?

Best regards

Thanks they look like the ones ive just picked up. I will post pictures up when I get them through.

Does anybody know if these are still in production? Or numbers of what was made? I haven't come across any made in Japan levi jeans before!

Thanks

Edited by dant87

I don't know much about them but I don't think they're produced anymore. I tried on a pair in size 31 (I usually wear a 32) and they're quite slim fitting compared to the 1915/37/44/55 models I own. They're probably closer to the 47 or 66 models in my novice opinion.

Japanese-made LVC started out in 1987, before they were reissued in the USA. From the early 90s, they continued to produce a small number of models like the 502 and 503 that were popular in Japan, but not in the US or Europe, alongside the main US production of the models we all know (1890, 1901, 33,37,40s,47, 55 and 66 501). NEarly all were sewn in Japan, some used Japanese and some used Cone fabric. THe 502 and 503 were available on and off until Levi's Japan was more or less closed - the news of the closure is on this thread, I suspect about three years ago, just after XX was set up.

THose 503 look like nice jeans; I am pretty sure they use fabric from Kaihara. The detailing is better on many Japanese reissues than on their American cousins.

Edited by Paul T

Japanese-made LVC started out in 1987, before they were reissued in the USA. From the early 90s, they continued to produce a small number of models like the 502 and 503 that were popular in Japan, but not in the US or Europe, alongside the main US production of the models we all know (1890, 1901, 33,37,40s,47, 55 and 66 501). NEarly all were sewn in Japan, some used Japanese and some used Cone fabric. THe 502 and 503 were available on and off until Levi's Japan was more or less closed - the news of the closure is on this thread, I suspect about three years ago, just after XX was set up.

THose 503 look like nice jeans; I am pretty sure they use fabric from Kaihara. The detailing is better on many Japanese reissues than on their American cousins.

Thanks for the information. Kaihara is where Evisu Japan get some of their denim from. I will be interested to compare.

On the label of the jeans there is xx. What does this mean? Sorry if this is a complete novice question. I include one of the photos i have already of them.

22AA9CCC-07C2-4E58-B244-9167709400DE-611-00000046B8237300.jpg

Edited by dant87

'XX' is ye-olde speak for "made using denim produced for levis." the red-line selvage said a similar thing back in the day. both markings no longer hold much meaning other than harking back the olden times.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the LVC leather jackets, and in particular the 1960s Buco leather jacket?

http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Levi_s_Vintage_Clothing_1960s_Buco_Leather_Jacket_4407.html

How's the quality, cut, etc? I'm looking for something similar and not sure if that's a good buy for the price or if there're better alternatives.

Thanks.

For the 501s? One doesn't exist, though some stores put measurements up on their websites (though they don't all measure the same way). Figure all models are over sized. Some like the '47 and '66 are a smaller amount, like 1/2" to 1" over tagged, and models like the '22, '44, and '55 are 2 1/2 to 3" over tagged.