Levi's Vintage Clothing

Thanks Paul T,

don´t know where but I read that the "every garment guarenteed" disappeared in 1960. The Denim in real is a bit more hairy, it´s difficult to show on photographs...

here´s a nice early 60s pair with(wich is funny considering the repros), much deeper arcuates than at my late 50s pair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VNT-Levi-501-XX-Big-E-REDLINE-Selvedge-1964-1966-RARE-/120766166353?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item1c1e397551

I´d wear em from time to time but the leatherlike patch is so crisp, it even wouldn´t stand to be worn for just an hour... or do you know how to soften up

it again? so I will keep em immaculate for those are antique and not able to be restored.

thanks buddies

I´d wear em from time to time but the leatherlike patch is so crisp, it even wouldn´t stand to be worn for just an hour... or do you know how to soften up

it again? so I will keep em immaculate for those are antique and not able to be restored.

thanks buddies

I don't think there is any way to re-soft the leatherlike patch...It's hard to decide and tempting to wear those jeans, I know, but tbh- I wouldn't wear them. And I'm sure a patch in this condition (yeah, the whole jeans!) is hard to find, so be careful and keep the jean like an antiquity.

Raw 1880s, 33s, 55s and 67s at good prices, plus some washed models:

http://www.la1clothing.com/levi.html

Advertising a Type III with pics of a Type I seems just the sort of amateurism that keeps prices low indeed I wonder if you order a 1937, you'll get a 1973...

Edit: ordered me a '55; cheap and chances they mix up a '55 for a '55 are neglectible and 1955 for a 5591 are smallish...

Maybe not quite our speed, but I found this pair of 70's 646 Levis last weekend.

The denim is really nice on this pair although it's not selvedge they're kind of cool.

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00083.JPG

DSC00086.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

Maybe not quite our speed, but I found this pair of 70's 646 Levis last weekend.

The denim is really nice on this pair although it's not selvedge they're kind of cool.

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00083.JPG

DSC00086.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

i think a more accurate statement is "cut so selvage doesn't show" a great many levis up to the mid-late 70's esp. 505's 517's etc..were in fact selvage. i think it wasn't a priority to them back then to show the line. no one knew or cared about such things at the time. the best looking denim i own is on a pair of late 50's wrangler 11mwz. to my knowledge the majority and possibly all original blue bell wranglers did not show selvage lines. i have owned early 70's 505's that had some leg twist even though they're sanforized. i know they did something to the denim approx 1975 because it lost that deep blue tone and looked different after fading. it lost those deep blue lows where the indigo was retained. even the 501's had a different surface and color after the mid-70's though the selvage line was still there.

i don't think it was originally a budget line. it was a fashion line addressing the new culture. price point differences between the two were negligable back then. they became a budget line in the 80's and 90's. sewing methods were different, felled double stitched inner leg seams and gold bar-tacs instead of the black flag, more belt loops, different watch pocket etc... i may be wrong but i think it is a safe bet all 500 series and most 600 series jeans made before 1976 were in fact selvage denim. there was no practical way to run a selvage line down a flared leg and nobody cared anyway. i stand to be corrected but this is what i have observed.

I feel like I read about a pair of selvage Big E orange tab something or other that Lynn Downey had in her personal collection or something.

that would be interesting to know. i hope someone will help clarify o/t's but i think early on they used the same denim and later o/t's sourced their own. which is why the later ones look and fade so differently from r/t. i can't remember the details, but i think o/t's may have later used denim from swift mills? i would love to know more about this if someone could add to it.

Happy Holligan...

I found a pair in my exact size a 32x29. They fit so well on me its astounding. I got Jared from MF ( now at Levi's SF) to straighten them for me. I really like them as straight legs; as you mentioned the denim is great! It's slubby and hairy and has a great color. I believe mine are from 1974

you might not see it, but that doesn't mean that selvage denim was not used. any model back then other than a relatively straight leg the selvage would have been cut off. half selvage Lee 101z's are made from the same fabric on both ends but because of the cut only one line showed. it wasn't made of two diiferent kinds of denim. what sense would that make? the inverse is true also; when you get into flare legs which are wide in the thighs taper in at the knee and open up again at the bottom there is no way to retain a selvage line. selvage ends must follow a straight line or else be cut off. at least back then anyway when there was no importance attached to a selvage line. they would not have bothered trying to preserve it.

I totally agree colgems1966, I wonce owned two deadstock pairs of big e orange tabs, 606s and 646s, the denim was incredible stiff , hairy, heavy

and slubby with such a deep blue/red/grey cast. the denim still was much nicer than with any repro(including 555s) allthough no selvage appeared. But how can, if the jeans got doublefelted in and outseams!?

you might not see it, but that doesn't mean that selvage denim was not used. any model back then other than a relatively straight leg the selvage would have been cut off. half selvage Lee 101z's are made from the same fabric on both ends but because of the cut only one line showed. it wasn't made of two diiferent kinds of denim. what sense would that make? the inverse is true also; when you get into flare legs which are wide in the thighs taper in at the knee and open up again at the bottom there is no way to retain a selvage line. selvage ends must follow a straight line or else be cut off. at least back then anyway when there was no importance attached to a selvage line. they would not have bothered trying to preserve it.

I think some Lees only had half selvage because Lee introduced wide (59"?) selvage looms from something like the early 50s onwards and it wasn't so efficient to use the bolt edges for both legs. It wasn't due to the cut of a particular model in this case.