Levi's Vintage Clothing

Without trying to sound like a shameless plug, but what season is the leather biker jacket that I'm selling for a friend (link in signature for more pictures) from?

20100510_0955.jpg

The '60s moto jacket, from 2000. AFAIK, the first LVC leather jacket! Not an Aero product, but still nice.

eltopo, I love you and hate you. That shot is guaranteed to promote terminal buyers' remorse. My only compensation is that my dry 1901 are looking nearly as good. Nearly.

My barber-guru Gerald was admiring the cotton duck jumper, we googled to find who had them in stock, and I found this earlier model - mauybe it's the 200 series version airfrog mentioned? But I think the dude needs to tuck it in & choose more of a dust-bowl backdrop...

Pic courtesy Dr Cowboy, http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/drxxxcowboy/article?mid=2839&prev=2843&next=-1apf2320100123042139892.jpg

Paul, the shirt I was talking about was a 333 and matched the 1911 333s and buttoned all the way up not a pull over and had the same green #3 label and 333 on the label.

airfrog I think those look great - really like them.

For information purposes and since I am becoming increasingly fascinated with the production of denim and what goes into making a pair of jeans I took some photos of some distressed 47s which I own.

The other day I noticed the leg seam looked a little weird. If you follow the seam up from the bottom you can see where it looks "pinched in" for lack of a better word:

a_1.jpg

when you flip the jeans inside out this is what that area looks like:

a_9.jpg

a_10.jpg

You can see the difference in thread color where one starts and the other ends:

a_8.jpg

a_5.jpg

Here is another photo where you can see the two threads running parallel for a while before intersecting:

a_4.jpg

at first I thought they had run out of thread while sewing the outside leg seam and did a shitty job of starting a new thread - but upon further examination the same thing happens on this and other versions of patched and distressed LVC models. I am assuming when they originally put together this model they leave open access to the leg areas they plan to do further work around. Wasn't sure how I felt about it originally I thought I'd share some photos....

I don't get buying jeans with patches on them...

the wear areas... okay I get it, but buying jeans with patches and holes?

I never got that in the 80's and I guess I don't get it now.

I guess I'm old school and feel you need to earn a pair of jeans. I remember I felt that way the fist time I saw a pair of stone washed jeans when I was a kid....

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't get it. It's like that mister freedom pickup truck with the painted on "rust" areas....

what does everyone else think?

I guess I'm old school and feel you need to earn a pair of jeans. I remember I felt that way the fist time I saw a pair of stone washed jeans when I was a kid....

I do feel the same way - I know that sounds strange coming from the guy who just posted pictures of patched and distressed jeans - but I know the difference I feel between these and pairs that I have worn for years and years that feel like a part of me almost( but if I ended up wearing these for years and years I wonder how I would feel then... )

This pair I wanted something different and random to mix into my wardrobe and I like the lighter washed out color of these. Its no excuse not to have started working on a raw pair of 47s but I also want to explore some of the other things LVC is doing with their washes and distressing and so on.

EDIT: just saw the above photos of the Indigo Immortals - really great photos and jeans!!!

.....I never got that in the 80's and I guess I don't get it now.

.....I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't get it. It's like that mister freedom pickup truck with the painted on "rust" areas....

It's just another addition to the current highly profitable vintage knockoff trend to gain market share. Shred a pair cheap denim, market as a 'vintage work of art that cowboy's used to wear' and put a $500 price tag on it. Some 18-22yr-old kid will buy a pair with his college tuition money from daddy thinking that he's cool because it cost a lot of money and makes him feel like the rustic model pictured in the promo material. Like you said, just like the stuff in the eighties and it too will soon pass like it did in the eithies. jmho....

airfrog I think those look great - really like them.

For information purposes and since I am becoming increasingly fascinated with the production of denim and what goes into making a pair of jeans I took some photos of some distressed 47s which I own.

The other day I noticed the leg seam looked a little weird. If you follow the seam up from the bottom you can see where it looks "pinched in" for lack of a better word:

a_1.jpg

when you flip the jeans inside out this is what that area looks like:

a_4.jpg

at first I thought they had run out of thread while sewing the outside leg seam and did a shitty job of starting a new thread - but upon further examination the same thing happens on this and other versions of patched and distressed LVC models. I am assuming when they originally put together this model they leave open access to the leg areas they plan to do further work around. Wasn't sure how I felt about it originally I thought I'd share some photos....

About this: I sew clothes, not too well, but I sew. You would think if they were going to do this they would at least use the same thread color and at least line up the stitches such that one ran directly on top of the other. I don't sew too well, but this is something that I could do.

I don't know if there is some aesthetic purpose to the puckering on the outseam like you pictured, but it seems like they could have done a better job at wrapping up that leg.

]I recently picked up these LVC samples at an outlet for 37euros, but I dont know anything about them. From quickly typing the product code on the blue sample tag into google i found this page but i was wondering if anyone knows anything more about them? Is that a leather bag they came with? I removed the pocket cover but it can be easily stiched back on.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ticobene/lemp6s_1930_501/

SAM_0263.jpg

SAM_0259.jpg[/img]

I don't know if there is some aesthetic purpose to the puckering on the outseam like you pictured, but it seems like they could have done a better job at wrapping up that leg.

From what I can tell from looking at other pairs it is on purpose - but as to why I have no idea either. It does make the seam more "visible" to the eye like in this photo. The 1933 Tow Roll(here) really has that effect to it. On the other leg where there is a much smaller area where they did the same thing the threads line up perfectly:

a_12.jpg

Huh, it must be an aesthetic thing, in which case that is a ridiculous amount of attention to detail.

What's the general opinion on the changes to LVC at this point? Does it seem like anythings really changed from a customer's perspective?

Bit too early to tell. Of course, if you're in the US things have vastly improved - you can actually buy the items in-store, an always under-rated experience. Certainly, the Cone fabric has stepped up - for instance, a completely new cotton duck selvage fabric as well as reports of more consistently good fabric on jeans like the 44; then there's new items like the Cototn Duck pullover (obviously a personal favourite of mine), with more duck in the pipeline, and apparently some other very interesting items to come soon. But I don't think we've had a high enough volume of reports for a definitive answer.

One key test will be whether we get consistent sizing from next season.

]I recently picked up these LVC samples at an outlet for 37euros, but I dont know anything about them.

Google 'heath', within superfuture and elsewhere, and you'll find more. THey've turned up in this thread a few times. They were on sale in the UK, even so 37 euros is a good price.

Edit : here's one mention I remember: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=128217&postcount=11

PaulT beat me to the post line! Anyways...

]I recently picked up these LVC samples at an outlet for 37euros, but I dont know anything about them. From quickly typing the product code on the blue sample tag into google i found this page but i was wondering if anyone knows anything more about them? Is that a leather bag they came with? I removed the pocket cover but it can be easily stiched back on.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ticobene/lemp6s_1930_501/

SAM_0263.jpg

SAM_0259.jpg[/img]

Looks like a '33 'Heath' jean from 2005. Funny, the catalog version looks like a '37:

4602211095_fbb129a353_o.jpg

a_5.jpg

I think it's on purpose too, but for aesthetic reasons. I have a pair of 1901 denim devotees, and they have the same thing running the whole length of each leg. There are two threads which run along the seam and sometimes overlap and sometimes pull away from each other. The outer thread seems a little looser, so where it isn't close to the inner thread the seam pulls apart slightly so that you can see the darker color of the denim inside the seam. It's a really nice effect on the devotee, which has a really strong gray cast to the outer surface of the denim and a bright blue color on the less distressed portions inside:

4602884504_2d9692f7f0_b.jpg

Maybe its a way of duplicating the look of vintage jeans with slightly loose seams- while keeping the jeans structurally sound?

You know what I think. However my view is based on my experience with the s/s2010 201...the one with the Houdini denim that instead of shrink-to-fit expanded by one inch subsequently losing a couple oz.'s in weight, plus losing most of its colour and the paint coming off the buttons all after a few washes w/out even wearing them. It's the worst pair of LVC I've had and I've had a few real bad ones. If this is what the new "XX Group" is pushing off as new and improved then it's a big step backwards for the brand. I;ve never been so pissed off...there's nothing worse than being so flagrantly robbed of $220 -- I consider it criminal fraud.

I can't say anything about the 2010 201s because I haven't seen a pair in the flesh but my old 201s are really nice. Also the new CONE denim is just killer. Paul has said the denim on last years 201s was really sweet. I know the denim on the 1937 201 was like the jean itself not accurate. Nice denim just not the right denim for either a 501 from 1937 or a 1937 201.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't get it. It's like that mister freedom pickup truck with the painted on "rust" areas....

I don't get the trashed, "I just stole these from a poor old farmer", look of some of the washed jeans. But, I can understand wanting to have a pair of the moderately washed jeans ('54 Rootless for example), just so you have something a little lighter colored to wear while you're working on a couple pairs of dark jeans.

The first area that tends to wear out and require repair on any of my jeans is the crotch. I don't think I've ever seen an 'aged' pre-distressed pair with a worn or patched crotch. They may exist - I don't take that much interest (and I can understand why people may not want this particular detail), but for me that would be more realistic than a hole in the thigh or patch on the knee.

The first area that tends to wear out and require repair on any of my jeans is the crotch. I don't think I've ever seen an 'aged' pre-distressed pair with a worn or patched crotch. They may exist - I don't take that much interest (and I can understand why people may not want this particular detail), but for me that would be more realistic than a hole in the thigh or patch on the knee.

I have never had a crotch blowout in all my denim years. I have had my wallet pocket rip, my knees wear through, and my cuffs start to fray at the bottom.

I have had my crotch seam begin to fray a bit, which I repair with a little needle and thread, but my knees are always the first to give out and require patches.

PaulT beat me to the post line! Anyways...

You two and Dr. Heech and airfrog, are like the little know-it-alls in the classroom who always blurt out the answer before giving anybody else a chance. Brown nosers.

You two and Dr. Heech and airfrog, are like the little know-it-alls in the classroom who always blurt out the answer before giving anybody else a chance. Brown nosers.

Coming from someone who darts around Sufu like a fruit fly, posting in every thread known to man.

I have never had a crotch blowout in all my denim years. I have had my wallet pocket rip, my knees wear through, and my cuffs start to fray at the bottom.

I have had my crotch seam begin to fray a bit, which I repair with a little needle and thread, but my knees are always the first to give out and require patches.

It must be something to do with my big package and muscular thighs then...

I think it's on purpose too, but for aesthetic reasons. I have a pair of 1901 denim devotees, and they have the same thing running the whole length of each leg. ...Maybe its a way of duplicating the look of vintage jeans with slightly loose seams- while keeping the jeans structurally sound?

I think that must be it - or it makes sense anyway. It creates a nice visual effect and one that would last over time/wear/washing as well. The photos look just like what my 47s have going on - thanks for posting them!

For some reason this type of thing I find interesting and I'd like to learn more about the manufacturing side of things, especially when so much emphasis is placed on it with a brand like LVC, etc.