Levi's Vintage Clothing

a 30min hot/semi hot soak should get a lot of the shrink out, but there definitely will be noticeable shrinkage after your first real wash.

I don't really think its much to worry about, but it will definitely make itself known.

Based on personal experience (a pair of 2008 '55's and 2009 47's) and what I've seen of everybody's reports of recent purchases I'm thinking LVC is now shrink to tagged NOT shrink from tagged. I'm buying my 66's accordingly (unless the store swears bloody murder they measure as tagged)

Anybody want to fight me over that, careful I have a shiv hidden in my shoe!

Hey there ChuckO. Here is my experience....I just had the luxury of having several pairs of 1947s (2009/10) in my hands. Measuring the BiG method, each of them were under the tagged size by about an inch. (Tagged 32 measured 31) Even though the current models are supposed to be same as tagged. I have heard this reported by others as of lately too.

...don't cut me...

Soak/wash amout is kinda a personal choice, its the same with all denim, the longer you wait in between washes will provide for more contrast in the fades. but i think LVCs lend well to a vintage look, which isnt all that contrasty so maybe thats why it seems like LVC wearers saok more

Thanks for putting this into perspective Med. I am coming from the Japanese denim, ultra crazy contrast state of mind. :cool:

Based on personal experience (a pair of 2008 '55's and 2009 47's) and what I've seen of everybody's reports of recent purchases I'm thinking LVC is now shrink to tagged NOT shrink from tagged. I'm buying my 66's accordingly (unless the store swears bloody murder they measure as tagged)

Officially, no. THey are, and always have been, shrink FROM tag size. But several recent models are made oversized - probably thru prodcution errirs - and some other models, including the 55 and the201, look better if you wear them true to size.

I would genreally say size up by one inch on ost models - but using the measured size, you can't rely on the tag size.

Basically, you can't generalise. Please look at the

'>501 guide for a more complete guide.

My 501s on there mostly had minimal soaking, it works for me but.. whatever turns you on.

This sizing situation is a drag especially at these prices. My 2008 55's are tagged 36/34 and measure 35/31 after a lot of washes. My 2009 47's were tagged 36/34 but the waist was between an inch and two OVER tagged and after three washes they measure 36/33.

Thanks for the advice everyone

yea i know... does anyone know a good site for raw measurements of the diff models? almost like self edge does....

The Japanese site joe.net has most of the 2010 models up with detailed measurements:

http://www.joenet.co.jp/casual/levi/vintage/index.html

Don't go by the older models or the LVC Japan models on this site, as there may be a lot of differences in sizing. Only the 2010 models they have up, which are the same models we get in the US & Europe now.

You'll need to use babelfish.com or google translations to translate the web page and figure out the labels for the measurements.

How are you liking the '47s?

The Japanese site joe.net has most of the 2010 models up with detailed measurements:

http://www.joenet.co.jp/casual/levi/vintage/index.html

Nice link, hadn't seen that before. I am surprised at all the pre-washed models that are on there, lots and lots of them - the 33s that come with the Levi's suspenders look nice. Never knew there were so many LVC pieces available. Sure aren't cheap tho if the currency converter I am using is correct....

Nice link, hadn't seen that before. I am surprised at all the pre-washed models that are on there, lots and lots of them - the 33s that come with the Levi's suspenders look nice. Never knew there were so many LVC pieces available. Sure aren't cheap tho if the currency converter I am using is correct....

I guess there's more of a market for crazy distressed stuff in Japan, as LVC Japan made a lot of seriously distressed and destroyed & repaired looking stuff. They got criticized for that a lot here on sufu, but LVC Japan also made some really nice stuff that wasn't available in the US or Europe. Including that early hunting jacket (1874 or something), which looks really sweet, and which LVC is apparently going to release worldwide for 2010F/W.

They also produced a nice hickory-stripe 20's chore jacket and a natural colored pique WWII 506 jacket, just to name a couple pieces.

I miss them.

Yup. They're so long because my gf got a longer size than I needed it's 32x36 and I'm only about 5'7" :o . Do they really look that sloppy?

I don't really think they look that sloppy, but maybe a little less length would do you good. that little bit of length could come when you do your first wash though, that just depends.

I would like to see a better picture though. one where your feet aren't so far apart.

LVC Japan also made some really nice stuff that wasn't available in the US or Europe. Including that early hunting jacket (1874 or something), which looks really sweet, and which LVC is apparently going to release worldwide for 2010F/W.

They also produced a nice hickory-stripe 20's chore jacket and a natural colored pique WWII 506 jacket, just to name a couple pieces.

I miss them.

Saw the re-issue of the 1873 Duck pants when I was in cinch last.

The range of Japanese stuff is great, but as Runormal said, VERY expensive.

About four or five years ago, I was contemplating the raw version of the 1922 501XX (now long sold out), and the limited run raw 501ZXX with the gripper zipper, but after conversations and conversions, it worked out to nearly £500 ! That's just waay out of my budget.

I don't really think they look that sloppy, but maybe a little less length would do you good. that little bit of length could come when you do your first wash though, that just depends.

I would like to see a better picture though. one where your feet aren't so far apart.

Alright. I hope some length does come off after the first wash because with college, work, and dance performances, I don't have the time to get them hemmed. I'll do my best to get another pic asap.

You think one more cuff would do it or should I redo the cuff to be higher?

One more turn at the current size might be too much. I'd redo the cuff.

IMO, there should be very little, if any piling up/stacking with cuffs. I know some guys on superfuture wear their jeans that way, but it's my feeling that if you're going to wear vintage style jeans, you wear them the vintage way, and that's cuffing them high enough that they aren't covering half your foot. They should be hanging so that the front of the cuff it just touching the top of your foot and not piling up.

Look at Zissou's recent post in the Mister Freedom thread of him wearing his black Mulholland jacket. That's how cuffs are supposed to look.

Again, this is all just my opinion, go with what makes you happiest.

i really want to pull the trigger and get into some LVC's for a long hall, im just so darn intimidated by all the varying fits.... i guess 47's would be my best bet based on the fit i want ( higher rise, full straight leg, still slim though) help me out brothers.... i have that one washed pair of 47's in 34x32 and i would like a little more roomier fit, so if i get the same size in raw and no presoak, that might be that answer? my head hurts! sorry for rambling!

i have that one washed pair of 47's in 34x32 and i would like a little more roomier fit,

Get the same size '44? Or the same size (or maybe a 32x32) '55? I know the '47 tends to the be the most popular LVC model here, but IMO the '55s are THE classic 501 and is probably one of the easiest wearing/best fitting models.

No, Rivet Head, sorry I was being an bit over-emphatic... I'm getting crabby, went away for a week to come back to around one sizing wuery a day, replied to them all but they're still showing up on my PM notification - so however many PMs i ever answer they will never be gone, like the labors of Sisyphus.