Levi's Vintage Clothing

As promised, my new 2010 season 1944's - fit-pics and some details, courtesy of the GF and her EOS.

These are different in many ways from my 2005 44's, but due to the many variations on the original wartime productions, I'm not fazed at all and love the new cone denim on these. They seem a slimmer cut than previous 44's I've owned, and this may be due to me downsizing by one size (these 33" waist measure 34.5") They will get a coldish soak soon.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Sorry for the pic overload.

Just killer Dr H.

hey guys, im usually a flat head & RRL guy, but these intreast me as im looking to join the LVC club, other than them being one wash can you guys help me make sense of this model? are they 47's?

Help Me Identify These Please?!?

Vinneus, I don't think those are LVC at all- probably something from Levi's Premium line. (No back pocket rivets or big 'E', so not a '47, and the arcuates look wrong for a '60s Levi.)

If you want a LVC jean in a similar cut (fairly modern and slim), the '47 or '66/'67 would be close, and jcrew carries models of both. Though Cultizm would be cheaper.

well they came today, i ordered the same exact pair in the link, and i do believe they are LVC and the disc hints at them being 47's i think.... here are the pics, i just opened the package! so maybe they are one washed 47's? theyre chain stiched and hiden rivits.... very interesting!

Vinneus, the jcrew photos don't match the jeans you have there. Yours do look like LVC '47s. Compare your pics to the jcrew photos of the back pocket, where you can see bar tacks and a small 'e'. Maybe they just used the wrong photos? I wonder why they didn't specify it as LVC, like they do in their other entries.

boiling soak will get the max shrinkage out but will cause the leather tag to shrivel up.

hot wash + take out before spin cycle will get max shrinkage without damaging the leather tag (but will lose a bit more indigo)

your call :)

Would a soak in boiling water do damage?

boiling soak will get the max shrinkage out but will cause the leather tag to shrivel up.

hot wash + take out before spin cycle will get max shrinkage without damaging the leather tag (but will lose a bit more indigo)

your call :)

Not the best of advice IMO, as you're essentially buying a pair of STF (shrink-to-fit) jeans, which if you follow Airfrogs' and Erk's advice, will do just that.

Lvc are not part of our modern, instant (just add boiling water) type of lifestyle, and are a thing to be nurtured and loved.

Think two years MINIMUM to get those jeans to the fit how you want. Be patient, maybe rotate them with an already favorite/worn pair, but dont rush them.

I still have pairs of Lvc that show little wear/fading and they are several years old. Love them more every time I put them on.

Quick question on drying my 1901's in the dryer. I did a 3 hour hot soak on them and they shrunk from a 32x35 to about a 31x32.5. They are still about 1/2 to 1 inch loose in the waist. I was wondering if I did another hot soak and did a hot dry in the dryer would it mess the jeans up and screw up the fading process? I figure my dryer would look like blue splatter everywhere. I guess I could just soak in a boiling pot for a little while too.

Turn inside out and run through the wash on warm or hot. When they come out, the waist and inseam are just about as small as it's going to get. You could run them through the dryer and make sure you've reached max. The dryer will soften the jeans, and cause a little extra indigo loss. Will it kill the jeans and their ability to fade? Of course not! Ever pair of one wash MIJ jeans has been through an industrial washing machine and dryer, and they still turn out just fine. The most important thing is that your jeans fit well and you want to wear them all the time.

Turn inside out and run through the wash on warm or hot. When they come out, the waist and inseam are just about as small as it's going to get. You could run them through the dryer and make sure you've reached max. The dryer will soften the jeans, and cause a little extra indigo loss. Will it kill the jeans and their ability to fade? Of course not! Ever pair of one wash MIJ jeans has been through an industrial washing machine and dryer, and they still turn out just fine. The most important thing is that your jeans fit well and you want to wear them all the time.

My caveat on this advice is that according to Paul T (IIRC), Cone Mills strongly recommends not putting the denim used for LVC in the dryer. MIJ one wash jeans may be made with denim that is specially made to go through an early drying cycle.

My caveat on this advice is that according to Paul T (IIRC), Cone Mills strongly recommends not putting the denim used for LVC in the dryer. MIJ one wash jeans may be made with denim that is specially made to go through an early drying cycle.

One wash MIJ denim is the same as what's used in raw MIJ jeans. They've just been run through the washer and dryer to get most of the shrinkage out of the way, making it easier on customers to find their size/fit.

The main concern with the dryer is it does increase indigo loss. So if you're looking for max contrast, you don't throw your jeans in the washer and dryer every week. But putting your jeans through the dryer a couple times at the begining to get them shrunk down isn't going to render them incapable of fading nicely.

I think most of us want jeans that look like Levis did in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. You don't get that by being terrified of normal washing procedures.

One wash MIJ denim is the same as what's used in raw MIJ jeans. They've just been run through the washer and dryer to get most of the shrinkage out of the way, making it easier on customers to find their size/fit.

The main concern with the dryer is it does increase indigo loss. So if you're looking for max contrast, you don't throw your jeans in the washer and dryer every week. But putting your jeans through the dryer a couple times at the begining to get them shrunk down isn't going to render them incapable of fading nicely.

I think most of us want jeans that look like Levis did in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. You don't get that by being terrified of normal washing procedures.

According to Cone, a hot dryer removes the last of the resins or starch and pulls away more of the indigo with it. I can't see any reason to do it, when the slight extra shrinkage it gives will disappear with only minimal stretching.

It also eliminates that last trace of new-jean crispness, and that probably will have a (slight) effect on the fading, too. I'm not at all certain that all washed jeans are dried at a high temperature, because quite a lot of them, certainly my old Uniqqlo one-wash, have some starch left in them.

So it seems, from reading this thread, that the soak/wear/soak routine for LVCs is a little different from other raw denim. The consensus on other raw denim seems to be to wear as long as possible without washing or soaking but for LVCs I hear you guys soak a little more often.

So I am trying to approach my first pair of 1947s the right way. I soaked them in hot but not very hot water for 30 minutes. How long would you wait before another soak? And is the first soak sufficient to to get enough shrink out to hem them or would you do another soak?

It also sounds like putting them in the dryer is a bad idea so I don't plan on doing that.

So I am trying to approach my first pair of 1947s the right way. I soaked them in hot but not very hot water for 30 minutes. How long would you wait before another soak? And is the first soak sufficient to to get enough shrink out to hem them or would you do another soak?

It also sounds like putting them in the dryer is a bad idea so I don't plan on doing that.

Soak/wash amout is kinda a personal choice, its the same with all denim, the longer you wait in between washes will provide for more contrast in the fades. but i think LVCs lend well to a vintage look, which isnt all that contrasty so maybe thats why it seems like LVC wearers saok more

Based on personal experience (a pair of 2008 '55's and 2009 47's) and what I've seen of everybody's reports of recent purchases I'm thinking LVC is now shrink to tagged NOT shrink from tagged. I'm buying my 66's accordingly (unless the store swears bloody murder they measure as tagged)

Anybody want to fight me over that, careful I have a shiv hidden in my shoe!