Levi's Vintage Clothing

i've never been able to wear zipper jeans since watching "there's something about mary"

<shudder>

Haha.

personally, I like wearing my 551z but the zipper is small and fiddly - wish it came with a gripper zipper or similar.

I think rnrswitch said He has a pair of 551's with a gripper.

Some of the originals did.

I think I compared prices on the '66s.

I'd personally like anything '20 and earlier, but I really shouldn't buy any more jeans for a while.

Er, sorry to be such a nerd, but could you post photos?

And yes, would love to see evo or other shots too, we've seen airfrog's 1915s (where are you allen?) but that's it. I've been in my writing bunker for so long I haven't seen the jeans in the flesh.

Here are some pictures of the River Junction buckles showing the thick points of the brass two tine buckle compared to the utility buckles. The difference is more noticeable in real life. They are also a little bright. That's probably what really put me off.

2009-12-18012-1.jpg

Here are some fit pics of my 1915s too. I have probably worn them about ten to twenty times. I wish I had airfrog's dedication, but I like to rotate.

2009-12-18015-1.jpg

2009-12-18019-1.jpg

I think that middle buckle does come in a more subtle finish -- or I got the last one four months ago. I swapped out a buckle on my Lees with the middle buckle (swivel/two-piece) and it came in the antiqued brass color (one on the right).

IMG_1197.jpg

Here are my new LVC 1947's. I thought the legs would be a bit slimmer, might go get them hemmed a little bit pretty soon.

How's the fit?

Why is everyone so obsessed with slim cut? Anyone who wants a slim Levis should opt for 1967 505 as opposed to the 1947. http://superfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-15424.html
exactly. the 1947 isn't going to provide a slim fit without significant down sizing, and as a result you will end up with significant crotch explosion.

You young people and your new fangled ideas on slim fitting! Historically 47's and 66's are definitely slim fit. The new thing is SUPER slim fit. I like my jeans to taper from the knee down but the super slim fit's are just crazy. It's going to lead to a lot of embarrassed people years down the road when they see those pictures or show their own kids. Any new trends in jeans since 1980 should be avoided. The 47, 55, 66, 67 look timeless and the 47, 66, 67 are as slim as a man should go (unless your Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting and let's face it none of us are). You may not believe me now but you will.

-Gramps

You young people and your new fangled ideas on slim fitting! Historically 47's and 66's are definitely slim fit. The new thing is SUPER slim fit. I like my jeans to taper from the knee down but the super slim fit's are just crazy. It's going to lead to a lot of embarrassed people years down the road when they see those pictures or show their own kids. Any new trends in jeans since 1980 should be avoided. The 47, 55, 66, 67 look timeless and the 47, 66, 67 are as slim as a man should go (unless your Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting and let's face it none of us are). You may not believe me now but you will.

-Gramps

Absolutely well said.

jean, if these are to big in waist, don´t soak em, because they shrink only a little and will become bigger again with wearing, in the case of too long legs i´d go for soak... so you better go with one or two sizes smaller... i always sized my 44s down...

sorry for chip in...

I have a pair 1944 Raw jeans, the size quite big for me. Should I have a post soak to let it shrink before wear or just wear it for 6 months then soak it?

Best advise is to go for your true waist size in the 44's and size up two on the inseam, after soak you've got a perfect 44 imo.

In your case I would soak them pretty hot, maybe two times and hot drying after that to get the most of shrinkage outa them.

jean, if these are to big in waist, don´t soak em, because they shrink only a little and will become bigger again with wearing, in the case of too long legs i´d go for soak... so you better go with one or two sizes smaller... i always sized my 44s down...

I got my 44 with 32W and 34L. Normally I wear 31W and 32L...

I'm still ok with the waist, only legs too long for me; is around 3 to 4 inches extra, not very nice look even cuff.

What you said about the stretch on waist is truth, It does happened on my 1947.

Best advise is to go for your true waist size in the 44's and size up two on the inseam, after soak you've got a perfect 44 imo.

In your case I would soak them pretty hot, maybe two times and hot drying after that to get the most of shrinkage outa them.

Dr.House,

Thanks for you advice. My friend also said like that...

I'm asking this question because many website do advice that wear the raw jeans at least 6 months before soak or wash it... I do it with my 47,it have very nice fade out....

Maybe I will do the post soak on my 44 before wearing and check out how the jeans fade....

Dr.House,

Thanks for you advice. My friend also said like that...

I'm asking this question because many website do advice that wear the raw jeans at least 6 months before soak or wash it... I do it with my 47,it have very nice fade out....

Maybe I will do the post soak on my 44 before wearing and check out how the jeans fade....

Soak them (not wash) and nothing will happen. You need to soak them first to get the shrink-to-fit effect. After that you can wear them as long as you like, wash 'em when they're dirty, but best wait until the first significant signs of wear are visible imo.

I've done both pre-soaks and just wear and I can tell you I get much better fades just wearing for as long as I can stand them. Yeah they're baggy but 4-6 months is not that long and remember that even with the soak its usually 4 wet to dry cycles to get most of the shrinkage out and full shrinkage is 10 or so wet to drys. My advice wear'm RAW and put on a belt, cuff'm and soak'm when ya can't stand'm anymore. I have a pair of 1915s I'm just over 4 months on and they are looking iNCREDIBLE. Should be some photos a while back at 3 months. Scroll down to 5784

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2033674#post2033674

They can only be raw once.

Then after the fades are set really well (usually 4-6 months) then give them a soak. In fact Levis recommends holding off soaking as long as possible. Then go as long as possible between soaks. If you're really hard core wear them in the tub for the forst soak and wear them till they dry. But DO NOT shorten until you have full shrinkage out of the way which is 10 or so wet to drys.

You should see how the 1915s are looking now. I will post some photos again in a month or so.

airfrog, I think I will be getting a pair of 1915s soon due to your pics :D

Great advice but I think the one question on everyone's mind is "won't the shrinkage cause the combs to be out of place?"

I've done both pre-soaks and just wear and I can tell you I get much better fades just wearing for as long as I can stand them. Yeah they're baggy but 4-6 months is not that long and remember that even with the soak its usually 4 wet to dry cycles to get most of the shrinkage out and full shrinkage is 10 or so wet to drys. My advice wear'm RAW and put on a belt, cuff'm and soak'm when ya can't stand'm anymore. I have a pair of 1915s I'm just over 4 months on and they are looking iNCREDIBLE. Should be some photos a while back at 3 months. Scroll down to 5784

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2033674#post2033674

They can only be raw once.

Then after the fades are set really well (usually 4-6 months) then give them a soak. In fact Levis recommends holding off soaking as long as possible. Then go as long as possible between soaks. If you're really hard core wear them in the tub for the forst soak and wear them till they dry. But DO NOT shorten until you have full shrinkage out of the way which is 10 or so wet to drys.

You should see how the 1915s are looking now. I will post some photos again in a month or so.

Great advice but I think the one question on everyone's mind is "won't the shrinkage cause the combs to be out of place?"

That is true and that is one of the reasons I always say that you should always at least soak them. Not only will the combs move but you will spend your 1st months looking like a dufus with huge pants. One hot soak won't make any difference. Also levis does not suggest you go without soaking. They suggest you soak and then wear without washing for the first few months.

Airfrog is hell bent on his method and you can try it if you want but I cannot suggest you do.

So you do a pre-soak the combs are still going to move some because it really take a good 4 wet to drys to get most of the shrinkage out and 10 or so to get it all out so they're gonna move anyway. The good thing is they move but more form. I don't think miners in the early 1900 worried about the combs moving. They bought jeans, put'm on and went to work. When they got so nasty they couldn't stand'm they went to the river and washed'm. My point is I rarely see photos of jeans broken in today that look as good as those. One day in the mines or the farmers fields is like a month on the bar stool.

That is true and that is one of the reasons I always say that you should always at least soak them. Not only will the combs move but you will spend your 1st months looking like a dufus with huge pants. One hot soak won't make any difference. Also levis does not suggest you go without soaking. They suggest you soak and then wear without washing for the first few months.

Airfrog is hell bent on his method and you can try it if you want but I cannot suggest you do.

Yeah but the pay off in 6 months is worth it and it ain't so bad. If they're post 37 wear a belt. If they're pre 37 cinch'm tight or wear suspenders. You should see these 15s now. In a month and a half or so I'll put up some new photos.

did they stretch an inordinate amount? giving serious thought to ordering a pair. i'd get a 34 (36" waist pre-soak) and allow them to stretch to 36 when all is said and done.

My 15s are a bit trimmer than my 17s but they are full in seat and thigh and they are larger than tagged so I would say that would be safe. You might want to get exact measurements of the jeans first to make a good decision. I've bought so much from Dejan he know my size and I always get jeans that fit from him.

I don't want to wear pants like a miner. So I soak 'em first. But if you want them to look like they did in the early 1900's, Airfrog is definitely right on. It just depends on what you're going for. Personally, I've found that the first soak/wash, if it's hot enough water, basically fully shrinks the jeans. Your mileage may vary.