Pure Blue Japan

midnight

i received some negative feedback for saying "fuck you" to setterman in this thread in response to his comment to another poster that his jeans "fit like girl's [sic] should," and wanted to offer a brief defense.

insofar is there is merit to superdenim, i see it in the development and refinement of a fashion-aesthetic and with that the opportunity to discover and reconstruct social practices and norms in our current fashion-culture (e.g. mass retailers) as well as that of the past.

while there are certain aspects of e.g., 50s and pre-50s craftsmanship and material quality that we may want reproduced, there are also horribly oppressive elements of this fashion-culture we should want to identify and discard.

it is admirable when repro and denim crafters and enthusiasts, in practice and in this forum, are able to retain and even enhance those things from the past which are worth keeping, while discarding those elements which are undesirable. this is one of the things that makes clothing from the flat head so desirable, and is one of the limitations that shackle and confuse a brand like lvc.

setterman fails at in this endeavor more than anyone else on this forum, and it is evident from his posts on superdenim that he is not committed to merely participating in a fashion culture which aims in part at the preservation and re-imagining of the desirable aspects of vintage craftsmanship and aesthetic, but rather his comments make clear that his commitments are to "traditional" american values more generally (see, previous akka225/setterman superdenim dispute), and in this case, in reconstructing an undesirably gendered fashion discourse.

perhaps the person setterman commented on *does* have jeans which are too tight, and for reasons recognizable to members of this community. maybe the jeans will likely become unwearable after the predictable amount of shrinkage, or perhaps the tightness is so extreme as to lead to an accelerated rate of crotch ripping, making the wearer's investment in durable high-end jeans irrational.

i merely want to make clear the reasons behind my distasted of setterman's present contribution, and suggest that we continue to base our judgments on the kinds of reason i've given above, and not ones framed in terms of traditional race/gender norms.

setterman fails at in this endeavor more than anyone else on this forum, and it is evident from his posts on superdenim that he is not committed to merely participating in a fashion culture which aims in part at the preservation and re-imagining of the desirable aspects of vintage craftsmanship and aesthetic, but rather his comments make clear that his commitments are to "traditional" american values more generally (see, previous akka225/setterman superdenim dispute), and in this case, in reconstructing an undesirably gendered fashion discourse.

We have a previous dispute? I was totally unaware of that.

My commitment to, and interest in this forum, is vintage style denim. Sorry that my participation in this forum doesn't conform to your ideals.

You wish to continue this conversation, you can have it with yourself.