Westbrook

Acronym.

Posted (edited)

@kkuer99 are you still able to wear them comfortably as overpants after sizing down? I got them in my usual acr sizing(M) and after wearing my sp28's for lounging today I needed to go out and grab something(weather dropped to 50F tonight). I didn't feel like changing pants and just threw the the 38's on and it made me love the versatility of the pants even more.

Edited by AvantSol

18 minutes ago, AvantSol said:

@kkuer99 are you still able to wear them comfortably as overpants after sizing down? I got them in my usual acr sizing(M) and after wearing my sp28's for lounging today I needed to go out and grab something(weather dropped to 50F tonight). I didn't feel like changing pants and just threw the the 38's on and it made me love the versatility of the pants even more.

Yeah I have plenty of room on waist and cuff area. I consider this as a spring/fall pants but I prefer to wear slim insulation like nike pro over the colder days so it should be fine. Tomorrow looks very cold so I got the chance to try it out.  

12 hours ago, AvantSol said:

oh did i miss something? is that why even the E version is so oversized? they're meant to be overpants like the GT version? seems unlikely..

43 minutes ago, moneytalks said:

oh did i miss something? is that why even the E version is so oversized? they're meant to be overpants like the GT version? seems unlikely..

image.png.5deeff54d45f99475ad212059df7f7dc.png

seems like based on 38-e's copy and the gen indicator, 38-gt came first conceptually (thanks @TestaRossaTed)

gt overpants make sense, e overpants do not.

then again fashion is not required to make sense

Posted (edited)

why would you wear something that's not waterproof over something that's not waterproof

edit: bit of outerwear history relevant to epic.

When the PCU programme started up they had a hard time explaining to all the SOF bois what the different use cases of softshell vs hardshell were. Mark Twight intended E to be the active layer and hardshell (not gt at the time but a non-breathable textile whose name escapes me atm) to be the static layer. They had to make sure ppl understood the epic textile was not an overgarment but that it was intended to take the place of a BDU and that hardshells were supposed to go on top of it. This is where the numbered (l1-l9) layering system comes from - the idea was that it was easier to explain what goes on top of what if you number it. 

Of course all of this is important when you're assaulting tora bora but who gives a fuck what you do on the subway.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

4 minutes ago, Inkinsurgent said:

why would you wear something that's not waterproof over something that's not waterproof

8924B9D5-3EF7-4EA1-93B3-0FB68E796392.jpeg

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Inkinsurgent said:

This seems like a moot point, then what's the point of wearing something like stotz/ws/E as a jacket? It does what it needs to do in light to moderate rain conditions. 

Edited by AvantSol

jackets and pants are both outer layers that come in various levels of waterproofness and insulation

but wearing two sets of pants isn't quite the same thing as wearing a jacket over a sweat or tee 

Posted (edited)

The fact that the P38-E features actual side pockets instead of the P38-GT's reach troughs, meant to be used to reach a first/mid layer pant, makes it seem pretty obvious that the P38-E aren't meant to be used as an overpant.

image.thumb.png.885bb032994afe1eacc46401dff7bc17.png

Edited by itHZwhatitHZ

57 minutes ago, Inkinsurgent said:

gt overpants make sense, e overpants do not.

then again fashion is not required to make sense

38-gt pattern came first, then ideation of standalone pant in different fabric came second by turning gt troughs into functioning pockets. same dna, different ideas

4 hours ago, denimjeans said:

image.png.5deeff54d45f99475ad212059df7f7dc.png

seems like based on 38-e's copy and the gen indicator, 38-gt came first conceptually (thanks @TestaRossaTed)

Eh, doesn’t really say anything about it being an overpant

2 minutes ago, moneytalks said:

Eh, doesn’t really say anything about it being an overpant

yea cause it's not, it's just the result of experimenting with making an overpant in the first place (hence the gen indicator)

Honestly it's all semantics. Just consider them dual mode pants or not, up to you. 

the -gt has a slightly wider cut than the -e to accommodate the inner pant, so I don't think the -e is intended to be worn as an overpant - but hey, doesn't mean you're not allowed to;)

1 minute ago, eyesolation said:

the -gt has a slightly wider cut than the -e to accommodate the inner pant, so I don't think the -e is intended to be worn as an overpant - but hey, doesn't mean you're not allowed to;)

aren't they literally the same measurements? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AvantSol said:

aren't they literally the same measurements? 

yeah in terms of what the spec says, i.e. waist, length etc. they're the same, but thighs are a tad bit wider.

Edited by eyesolation

To me, P38E seems more like a variation to fits different needs from original P38GT , which is designed as an overpant for ppl living in colder or rainy areas. 

I think it's ok to say many other pants can be wear as "Overpant" if it fits the environmetn and your needs. I used to wear slim insulation pants under P30A,P31A over last winter. In this case the outer layer don't really need to be 3L water proof material but something windproof and water repellent based on my local weather condition. 

P38E is just another choice E provided to ppl living in warmer area, who can use the vents over summer seasons and probably wear slim insulation over colder seasons.

yup that makes sense, because it has vents and a functional pocket, which the GT does not, you can definitely use it as overpants if you want to, underpants even, lol - but the extra vents definitely point to summer pants 

19 hours ago, denimjeans said:

38-gt pattern came first, then ideation of standalone pant in different fabric came second by turning gt troughs into functioning pockets. same dna, different ideas

here we go

oh boy here we go

J1A-GT V.2.2

Built with 3L GORE-TEX® PRO [Next delam generation technology]

**Up to 200% more delamination compared to previous generation Gore-Tex® Pro products

is there a reason why stotz variants of J1 are not being made? hell, a DS version would be preferable to paclite

1 hour ago, Orientalq said:

is there a reason why stotz variants of J1 are not being made? hell, a DS version would be preferable to paclite

J1TS-S, J1B-S, J1A-S....... all released. 

Still no comment on the J56?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, darkart said:

J1TS-S, J1B-S, J1A-S....... all released. 

Yes like years ago on the 2.0, not the 2.2 or the latest version which was why I used "being made" since those have been made and are sold out. 

Edited by Orientalq