Acronym.

Westbrook

Seriously?

Ok…well, that's cool.

Well, ahem, let's just say I think they are rather fetching and I would be prepared to acquire funds permitting, if you please.

I love that 3A-1 bag in the burning chrome fabric.  "ooer missus ! "

Most interesting pieces for me are the LA3 and J-29B; thankfully for my wallet (and anyone who wants one of the limited number of size Ms out there) my wife bought me the Arcteryx windshell blazer recently so I'm not beasting.

the p10-e is 16.3% lighter than the p10-s so you could assume it's slightly less warm and more spring/summer appropriate. I think the most important consideration is how epic fades. errolson told me over twitter that olive will hold better than black, but these pics should help sway you a bit:

9ClB6QlhtIQ.jpgbXoGclqN74o.jpgzDKuAOSPPqU.jpg

to be fair, my olive p10-s has slight evidence of fading as well, but only a minuscule amount near the phone pocket area

Question: I'm now weighing up the P10s - Is the difference between the P10-S and the P10-E worth the €150 price difference? I guess i'm asking if Stotz is that much better than Epic?

I think I can answer that, and the answer is a resounding yes. Haven't had any issues with Epic as used in the E-J4, it's a good cotton jacket, and has held up well. I have black and olive P9-Es, and am less happy about how the fabric has held up. The black ones are mainly OK and just need to be redyed (they're not as faded as hooper's though), but the green ones have both faded horribly and also are growing an increasing number of holes and showing other signs of wear, such that I wouldn't buy another pair of Epic trousers.  

Etaproof/Ventile by comparison seems a lot sturdier (wearing P9-Ss now) and are significantly warmer, too. Water resistance seems a lot better as well; after a few washes, Epic is basically done as a water resistant fabric IME.

On the other hand, out of all the fabrics on offer, Epic is probably the most suitable for summer.

I should point out that I've subjected them to quite a lot of wear, and the P9-Es probably got washed every 3 weeks or so (but on a gentle cold wash, extra rinse, then air dried and ironed, not tumble dried).

Hope this helps.

edit - interesting that Errolson thought olive would hold up better, I'm finding it's the other way around right now.

And since I already brought up redying stuff, has anyone tried dyeing olive Epic? What colors did you use? Black over green might be interesting.

Edited by Dr Jonboy

Some people like cocaine. I prefer Acronym.

Cocaine is a much cheaper habit.

Can't comment on preference as only ever mainlined ACR ! 

I guess by default ACRNM it is ! 

The SS14 is just bloody lovely though, you can also see winter sweatshirt creeping in there too, all stealth-like ! 

I think I can answer that, and the answer is a resounding yes. Haven't had any issues with Epic as used in the E-J4, it's a good cotton jacket, and has held up well. I have black and olive P9-Es, and am less happy about how the fabric has held up. The black ones are mainly OK and just need to be redyed (they're not as faded as hooper's though), but the green ones have both faded horribly and also are growing an increasing number of holes and showing other signs of wear, such that I wouldn't buy another pair of Epic trousers.  

Etaproof/Ventile by comparison seems a lot sturdier (wearing P9-Ss now) and are significantly warmer, too. Water resistance seems a lot better as well; after a few washes, Epic is basically done as a water resistant fabric IME.

On the other hand, out of all the fabrics on offer, Epic is probably the most suitable for summer.

To add to Dr Jonboy's thoughts: Epic isn't as comfortable next to skin as Stotz is, the inside feels a little coarse, and the silicone encapsulation creates a sheen compared to the more matte Stotz. But it is much thinner (hence not as durable) and more suited to summer weather. Also Epic develops a patina quite quickly, expect to see the outline/impression of your phone on the phone pocket and of your wallet in the rear pocket.  

I think what Errolson meant about the green holding up better is in the way the fabric breaks-in. He showed me an old, beat-up, black Epic pant that was all shiny as if the face fabric has gone bald. But that's with years of washings, use and abuse.

That being said I'm still looking for a P10-E in black to replace my Stotz version, Epic isn't the most ideal fabric for the tropics, but it is preferable to the current heavyweight Stotz. If only they still made the old lightweight 5640 Etaproof!

Edited by cmdR

Mmm one more thought here...I'm in California and in my opinion (for here) I find even the heavy-weight Stotz to be more comfortable than Epic. Yes the Epic is thinner but it breathes far less. If I wear Epic my legs run with sweat in no time. With Stotz it might be a little warm but not sticky... YMMV.

Oh and one more thing: black Epic pants start looking shiny after a year already, not years and years.

In general you want to wash your pants as little as possible either way. They'll last longer.

Edited by TaoSpace

We are dangerously on the verge of Denim care (or lack of) territory, only the polar opposite where beating them up and getting them to look aged is desired.

Not been lucky enough to own or fir into a pair of ACRNM trousers yet, however with the advent of those P15-S things might well change, so please, noone buy any of the XL so I can have a pair for when I get paid at the end of the month !!!

Oh, that blasted silver 3A-1, I'm like a flipping Magpie !!

Mr Hugh you son-of-a.....

CmdR: When I think about it, the sheen probably comes from the silicone capsules around the fibers. Any kind of agitation/wear would then ultimately cause this. If that's true, dry cleaning ought to be better than having it bang around inside a metal cylinder.

I had one pair of Stotz pants dry-cleaned to remove cooking stains (fat basically). The pant now also has a very subtle sheen, basically due to the nap of the fabric (image it like suede). Nothing like what my Epic pants developed though. They actually hold up really well both in terms of wear as well as color. 

For me its Stotz pants (or CH) all the way. For jackets however, Epic is great in my book. Wearing my J23 today :)