ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Happy birthday Daniel!

5333590687_eb467ec04a_b.jpg

This is unsoaked, I can't bear to get them wet, they look so sharp raw.

p.s. It's in the lower 40's in SF. If you can't make out what I'm saying in the photo, it is:

"Fuck."

"Fuck fuck fuck!!!"

"Goddamnit."

This is my favorite. I would rep you roy but I cant. People I want more. or else i am going to release my frustrations.

my boxers are so long they end below the knee. how the fuck am i going to wear them with shorts!!!

why worry... you wont be wearing shorts for the next 357 days due to your allegiance to this competition

(i rolled them up to wear under my cut offs yesterday)

This is my favorite. I would rep you roy but I cant. People I want more. or else i am going to release my frustrations.

i hope releasing your frustrations isnt the same meaning as releasing your tension.. :eek:

Oh, and I'm 18 years older than Dkatz.

That's right, son, old enough to be your father.

is there anyone on this thread old enough to be yours? we'd be damned if there were 3 generations of ROY-wearers.

why worry... you wont be wearing shorts for the next 357 days due to your allegiance to this competition

(i rolled them up to wear under my cut offs yesterday)

what a horrible contradiction!

So, I realized I haven't been clean shaven since 1.1.11... anyone else in the same/similar boat and want to do a no-shave beard growing side bet?

Looks like Joseph Hill started his Roy contest beard on 1.1.10 already.

When I saw the chainstitched outseam I checked some of my other jeans. Turns out my Left Fields have it as well. I wonder if this is common in some factories. I think it is traditionally done with a single needle lock stitch.

I checked this detail on my other jeans and was pretty surprised by what I found: the Japanese jeans almost all had a single needle lock stitch on the outseam (Warehouse, Eternal, Flat Head). However, the made in USA and less expensive jeans featured a chainstitched outseam (SExSC06, 3sixteen, Stussy Deluxe, Naked and Famous). The one anomaly in this was the SExIH07Bk, which also had a chainstitched outseam.

I'm curious about the significance of this detail. What are the advantages of one over the other, if any? Is it a reproduction detail? Any of the Levi's guru's care to chime in about this?

Even though I'm not participating in the contest, I'm enjoying all of the details you guys are discovering and I find myself checking my jeans to compare. For example, the multicolor chainstitch - my Warehouse and Flat Heads also have this "feature". Even when Take5 hemmed my FH for me, they used a two-toned chainstitch.

What I mean to say is that Roy's workmanship and attention to detail is on par with some of Japan's best craftsmen. What impresses me more is his adventurousness to introduce new elements that I haven't seen before (i.e. the tucked in belt loops, cotton duck pockets, linings, hidden coin pocket, etc.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: enjoy these jeans, you lucky bastards.

^also chain stitch is stronger, but with more give, yes? Tucked (AKA tailored?) belt loops are fairly common.

i used to always do tucked belt loops until someone pointed out it wasnt how how jeans were done

: |.......................

mine are almost dry, fit is great, struggling to do up buttons, not cause they are tight but the button holes are snug and fabric is like 80 grit sandpaper at the moment

i used to always do tucked belt loops until someone pointed out it wasnt how how jeans were done

: |.......................

Yes, my observation only applied to my jeans and excluded other pants. My 3sixteens, however, have tucked belt loops that I never noticed before. Hmm... maybe Roy made my OG 3sixteens, haha.

Thanks tg76 and zissou for dropping that knowledge!

Yup, tg got a great fit there. Good job shrinking 'em, lady.

I think lockstitch can handle less stretch and is more prone to breaking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My Roys and I spent part of the evening drinking my favorite beer (lately, New Belgium Trippel) and cutting several 1.5" wide 8oz leather strips.

stripsr.jpg

RxC, I, gf and Brassy the Monkey went up to the market today, freakin' 35 degrees C in the shade again.

Had lunch at a small Chinese-Malaysian eatery:

p1080015.jpg

Hainanese chicken and Hor Fun:

p1080034k.jpg

Brassy the Monkey and RxC chilling out:

p1080027s.jpg

At the market...

Duckies:

p1080038g.jpg

More pics in the WAYJDT thread...

had a very harrowing moment not so long ago and my ROY's still have the fresh scent of smoke on them...

I was on my way up to the 40th (top) floor to work out with my girlfriend when we noticed that the elevator smelled very strong like smoke. At first we thought somebody may have been burning something in the elev. car and tried not to think too much about it. When we got to the 40th floor we noticed that the smoke was getting stronger so getting a little more worried we figured we should head down to the first floor to let the front desk know. When the called elevator opened up, a cloud of smoke poured out and we had a "OH SHIT!" moment. We ran down the stairwell back to the 28th floor, looked out the windows and saw dozens upon dozens of Fire trucks, ambulances, police cars and even a helicopter surrounding our building. After finally getting through to the front desk they said head to the 40th floor there is an emergency. I immediately changed into the ROY's and put on random shirt with wool coat (to douse fire and to help cover my nose/mouth to while breathing) in hand, we gathered up the roommates who were calm and insisted on staying in the apartment until they realized that the smoke was getting very strong. "What should I bring?!?" everyone kept asking while I tried to assure them that they only need to bring themselves. In my head I honestly thought I would only need the ROY's on my legs and thought better of risking my life for a computer etc.

So we headed into the hallway and damn would you believe that the smoke was permeating everywhere. We knocked on all the doors, running up and down the hallway alerting everyone to the fire. When we got to the elderly woman a few doors down from us, and I swear to you it was just like a movie it was so surreal, we told her there was a fire and that we needed to move to the 40th floor (didn't really make sense to me either but gotta follow the directions)...She kept insisting that she wouldn't leave because she didn't want to leave her cat. My girlfriend kept pleading, "I will HOLD your cat, we just need to get out!" (God I love her lol) and she replied with the most indescribable look of being at peace with death (no other way to put it :X) saying "I can't..."

At this point we decided we needed to get to the stairwells...Opening up the doors there was smoke EVERYWHERE and it was almost impossible to breathe. We headed up towards the 40th floor and had to pour out ever floor to get a breath of fresh air. Only two or three floors up there was a crowd gathered so headed over and tried to decide what to do. People were freaking out: "They said to go up!" "It's a fire, smoke RISES", "But the fire is on the 7th floor!" etc. etc. so I called the front desk again and no reply (thank god for cell phones). A woman in the group somehow broke through the busy lines and no one really seemed what course of action to take. As soon as we all seemingly decided to split up (those going up, those going down) as we were all in the smokey stairwell which at this point was impossible to navigate through due to the blinding and dense smoke, a firefighter emerged from below and yelled "GO BACK TO YOUR APARTMENTS! We have CONTAINED THE FIRE!"...It was singularly the most reassuring image I've seen and immediately I felt immense gratitude towards my fate and the fireman who had most likely run up from the first floor in the smokey stairwell carrying his heavy gear and axe all the way up to the 40th to assure no spread of fire, etc.

So here I am, rightfully thankful that nothing terrible had happened (it seems at least 3 have been taken to the hospital in serious condition, I'm guessing people from where the fire started), sitting in my apartment in smokey smelling ROY's typing on superfuture (of course, after things have settled down and all the appropriate social networking lol). Things could have turned out differently, I could've been trapped in a smoked out elevator, the fire could have reached my floor, etc. etc. but thank god nothing extraordinarily terrible has happened other than my eyes being opened to how I would react in such an emergency. So everyone out there, be thankful for what you have, be thankful for those around you, and don't take life for granted!

Words from your fellow, somewhat shaken, ROY x CONE contest member!

(BTW, the old woman down the hall is alright, we came back afterwards to let her know things had been contained!) Now to get rid of this smell! lol

"GO BACK TO YOUR APARTMENTS! We have CONTAINED THE FIRE!"

that sounds like incredibly bad (possibly illegal?) advice/instruction, am I wrong? when a building is filled with smoke I can't imagine telling the tenants to head back to their units, regardless of whether or not the flames themselves were contained...

Thanks everyone, things are still a little in disarray, and I'm guessing there won't be an official memo or announcement until things settle down so no word on what the cause was. Funny how the first few things I thought of while getting ready to evac the apt. in this order were: Protect girlfriend and self/get out, "already wearing the ROY's...", and concern for my denim collection stored in the closet particularly my WH pairs...

Call me obsessed but I'm glad everything is ok!

aho's 2011 Disaster Preparedness Checklist (margin of error +/- 26):

1. I know where to shut off the water, power, and gas and have placed the tools at each location.

2. Anything that would have fallen on my head has been secured to the wall.

3. I have moved the bleach and ammonia to separate locations.

4. I know the unsafe locations in the house.

5. I have made an emergency plan and know escape routes and meeting places.

6. Emergency lighting has been installed in selected outlets.

7. I know the location of the nearest police, fire station, and hospital.

8. I know which neighbors have medical experience.

9. I have talked with my neighbors about emergency preparedness.

10. My neighbors have keys to my house, and they know how to turn off my utilities.

11. My neighbors also have a list of my important phone numbers.

12. My household has conducted a home evacuation drill.

13. My children know how to get help from neighbors and 911.

14. Each family member carries a family photo.

15. I have evaluated what supplies my family needs to store.

16. I have the proper amount of water stored for emergency use.

17. I have stored emergency food supplies.

18. I have stored cooking items for emergency use.

19. I have stored emergency items to use as shelter.

20. I have a first aid kit.

21. I have stored emergency lighting equipment.

22. I have stored items to keep in touch with the world.

23. I have positioned tools that I will need in an emergency.

24. I have stored sanitation supplies.

25. I have stored supplies for the baby.

26. I have stored misc. supplies including money for emergency use.

27. I have my girlfriend/significant other with me.

28. I am wearing my ROY x Cone contest jeans, bitches.

Thanks everyone, things are still a little in disarray, and I'm guessing there won't be an official memo or announcement until things settle down so no word on what the cause was. Funny how the first few things I thought of while getting ready to evac the apt. in this order were: Protect girlfriend and self/get out, "already wearing the ROY's...", and concern for my denim collection stored in the closet particularly my WH pairs...

Call me obsessed but I'm glad everything is ok!

Wow, that seems like a close call! Glad no one was seriously hurt.

You obviously have all the right priorities in the right order.

Now wash those smokies! :)

that sounds like one hell of a crazy day. glad you and your girlfriend and the ROY x CONEs are safe. heck, in time of emergency what do you grab? GRAB YOUR FUCKING ROYS AND RUN. FUCK THE WAREHOUSE, FULLCOUNT, DENIME WHATCHAMACALLITS AND RUN. BUT REMEMBER TO BRING THE ROYs. damn that was one hell of a day. cleaning up after the smell must be terrible. good everything is in order and most are safe though.