Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

That does look awesome! I actually like it with the hoodie. 

All these ultra high end goodies must seem massively underpriced to you dollar based earners now.  I earn yen and I’m on the opposite end and have to refrain until things get better here. 

I would do the same while it lasts. You’ll never buy Japanese goods this cheap again. 

Meanwhile I wear cheap layers to keep warm. 

Merino base, wool sweater and hat, denim jacket and a cheapo REI shell. 

5 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Pacific Gas and Electric would like a word. 

Hey, I’ve got my fair share of down vests & heavy wool sweaters

& Anyway, our blackouts happen when it’s hot out, and no one here has A/C to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by julian-wolf

6 hours ago, vlad_III said:

That does look awesome! I actually like it with the hoodie. 

All these ultra high end goodies must seem massively underpriced to you dollar based earners now.  I earn yen and I’m on the opposite end and have to refrain until things get better here. 

I would do the same while it lasts. You’ll never buy Japanese goods this cheap again. 

Meanwhile I wear cheap layers to keep warm. 

Merino base, wool sweater and hat, denim jacket and a cheapo REI shell. 

… and probably just as warm, but why are you SHOUTING?

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

… and probably just as warm, but why are you SHOUTING?

Not allowed to use my phone where I work to earn the yen. Wrote it in notes and then copy pasted. Somehow messed up the formatting but at least everyone heard me now 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:55 AM, vlad_III said:

You’ll never buy Japanese goods this cheap again.

Say that again to the 400000 yen San Mateo😅

Their jean on the other hand are an absolute bargain for what it offered, keep me away from dumping 1k+ on those homemade artisan brands.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:35 AM, shredwin_206 said:

IMG_2298.thumb.jpeg.e4734073758c9b90f1d215c019ea3d45.jpeg1927 is coming along nicely. Even with a little spray paint action :( 

Did that patch shrink in the dryer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a good friend passing through Kyoto next week and they want to stop by Hoosier. I’m out of the loop but it’s a hard opportunity to pass up to grab anything - any favorite recent items I should have them scope for - anything the FW fan should really look at? My collection isn’t quite small but it’s all denim. 

If it’s the right thing I’ll probably email Seichiiro to check stock and hold size. This is squarely an I don’t need anything moment, but hard to pass up.

46 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

That’s exactly the best thing to do - ask Seiichiro what he has and take it from there.

But for what it’s worth a real FW fan should be getting the turned down collar sweater coat …

I love that thing but definitely a notch or two too rich of a purchase for an on a whim thing like this. 

14 minutes ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I love that thing but definitely a notch or two too rich of a purchase for an on a whim thing like this. 

Not a real fan then 🤷‍♂️

Anyways you know what you like, you know how much is in your wallet and you know Seiichiro will confirm your likes and take your cash. Looking forward to the result.

I really want the turn down collar jacket but I have to pump the brakes. It's already getting hot here so I wouldn't get much wear out of it this year. :sad:
I might be planning a Japan trip soon (sooner than later if this job opportunity works out). If I do go I'll be sure to meet up with Seiichiro, I'm sure he'll try to sell me that sweater. :laugh2:

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

Lovely knit... what's driving the ¥135k though Duke? IIIRC you have one and give it high praise indeed, so just curious

Apart from profiteering? You should have read the Denimbro exchanges when it first came out.

It’s a long process on a vintage machine - I got one of the first 50 made and I think those took well over 50 days to make. It’s also a lot of expensive wool.

I think it’s better value than the Ultima Thule stuff for example.

For me, the real FW is when they focus on stuff that’s ’hard to make’ - the details and the materials. But I only mention the cardigan because it’s a statement piece that’s been released again and not what @AlientoyWorkmachine was thinking …

It’s actually a great suggestion because I don’t know what I’m missing with what I don’t have, and I am definitely curious about what FW does best even if it’s not my normal sort of thing. So the insight is exactly the sort I was hoping for.

But it would be the most expensive item of clothing I’d ever bought - or that I even own - outstripping a wonderful Inis Meain cashmere and merino cardigan (which is quite similar but lighter) that I was gifted some time ago. Perhaps at another stage in life…if they ever release it again. 

^^^ there's quite a few 50s in your update Duke.... if it wasn't you I'd be getting suspicious

Just thinking of value, how would the turn down collar jacket price compare to Ironheart, for example, or if you extrapolate the costs of your OG jacket, what would it be today???  Or am I barking up the wrong tree woof :)

@Broark are you sure you don't need this to put away for winter?  An extra layer under the Sasquatch perchance?? :)

Joking aside, really nice jacket but am gonna pass!

On 2/24/2024 at 8:52 AM, Duke Mantee said:

It’s a long process on a vintage machine - I got one of the first 50 made and I think those took well over 50 days to make. It’s also a lot of expensive wool.

I like how they never elaborate on this sort of things in order to justify the price tag, definitely getting one if given the chance.

1 hour ago, l13902733261 said:

I like how they never elaborate on this sort of things in order to justify the price tag, definitely getting one if given the chance.

You rarely see FW in magazines and mooks and they rarely give interviews. They aren’t overly secretive , it’s more they like to plough their own furrow.

Anyway, there’s no reason why any brand needs to ‘justify a price tag’. That’s something we seem to concern ourselves over by looking for things to justify our purchases … details and specifications that we imagine would be expensive without knowing or thinking what actually does make a difference; although there are those that buy something simply because it is expensive.

I remember being asked why the 601XX 22s were so much more expensive than the 47s … really it should be obvious.

But generally a lot of this information is available if the correct questions are asked (the right level of genuine interest).

On 12/2/2023 at 12:32 PM, Duke Mantee said:

WW2 fabric … new thread though

Could you broaden your answer mate? Was lucky enough to see that beautiful WW2 fabric in Soas recently (albeit with cut off red tags) so am curious to know is the new thread sewing thread or is it the warp/weft aspect?

Edited by Dr_Heech