The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Can anyone link me to either a sizing chart other than dc4 for the flat head 3002 model, or give me the email to contact the store "2nd" in Japan, i cant get it off their rakuten site im just not trying enough with my translate or something, or being dumb today, but either a sizing chart or contact info would be great so i can see possible variations in size differing possibly from DC4's. Trying to nail down my size in the model, any help would be great, or if anyone here has a tagged 33 or 34 they can measure. Not the RJB collab, just the plain 3002 model.

Thanks

EDIT: Read back 20 pages or so and saw that 2nd may not provide measurements at all, which is pretty weak for what seems like a big seller of TFH items. Any other source would be great though, otherwise ill trust DC4's are gonna be what 2nds are like.

Edited by jcashen87

Yeah, 2ND doesn't provide measurements, I agree that it's pretty inconvenient but apparently they've had problems in the past with customers getting upset about the sizing on their orders being different from the posted measurements. On some items (like Samurai jeans)they have manufacturer-posted measurements, but TFH doesn't do these.

DC4's measurements should be pretty accurate, I've used them for reference before and they seem to be good. I don't know of any other site besides DC4 for regular 3002 measurements, but a few more shops on Rakuten have measurements posted for the 3002FXR, if that helps.

Yeah thanks kyle, glad to hear you have used DC4 measurements before, soon i should be the proud new owner of the 3002 regular mdoel, the FXR thigh was just a little tighter than i needed or else i would have loved to grab those. Second pair of flat heads first pair was just the collab with tate and yoko which are great.

Great! I hope the size is right and that you'll enjoy your new jeans.

Here are a few site updates on cool stuff we've posted over the past week or so:

The Hickory Work Jacket, which is a different twist on the typical denim jacket. This thing is made with an indigo-dyed hickory fabric that will age over time, but in a different way from normal denim.

The 3001-A Natural Indigo Mix, which uses a blend of conventional pure indigo and natural indigo in the warp threads. These jeans don't fade like most natural dyed jeans; there's a beautifully faded pair here in the office that has the same contrast as other FH jeans, but with a really nice aquamarine tint that's different from any other denim I've seen.

There's also our Embroidered Herringbone Shirt which is made with a herringbone fabric that consists of warp and weft threads with slightly different shades, dyed before the fabric is knit. I really like how the orange chainstitch embroidery and selvage line contrast with the rest of the shirt.

Kyle,

You've said before, I think, that if you put the Pioneer denim in the washing machine on hot instead of soaking, that that will get the shrinkage out right off the bat. But I've heard others say that it takes several washes for all the shrinkage to occur. If I have washed my 3009s on hot and they fit good now--but would be too tight with more shrinkage--do you think I'm okay or is there more shrinkage to come?

Also, is there a definitive word on whether or not the Pioneer denim actually stretches in the waist or not?

Thanks!

^ I washed my raw F350s (Pioneer denim) in the machine at 60C and that accounted for virtually all the shrinkage. Waist shrank about 2-2.5" and stretched back out to tag size very quickly.

Edit: F350s!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

@yuvisdan pretty much all the shrinkage will be out however that is not considering the fact that they will stretch with wear and then after you soak or wash again they will shrink a little bit more. However it won't be near as significant as the first soak.

peacedoff: From widest to slimmest would be 3003 (Wide straight), 3005 (Regular straight), 3009 (Straight tapered), 3007 (Tight bootcut), 3001 (Tight straight), 3002/SE05BSP (Slim tapered).

yuvisdan: Yes, warm water plus agitation is the key to shrinking FH's denim. I don't think a cold wash will fully shrink the jeans. Your 3009s are probably finished shrinking.

The Pioneer denim does stretch in the waist, but it takes longer than with most denim and probably won't go far beyond the raw measurement. If you need to size down, the 16 and 20 oz. denim is probably more accommodating. No idea about how the Kevlar denim stretches.

x-post from the evo thread.

Finally got around to some fit pics!

SExFHxRJB15

2 washes

roughly 22 mo. (16 mo. of consistent wear, sparingly last few months)

8662113396_5d99e2fd58_c.jpg

8662113492_8dca493a16_c.jpg

how tall are you bro? what size are you? these are fkin nice

I'm new to The Flat Head, i'm looking to get a pair of 3001s and need some sizing advice. I know they're unsanforized so will need a soak before wearing, how much do they usually shrink? Also how much do they usually stretch out with wear? Thanks

Flat Head's Pioneer denim shrinks a whole lot. Expect up to two inches in the waist, .5" through the leg, and 3" from the inseam when fully shrunk. I suggest a soapless wash in warm water, or filling the bathtub in warm water and moving them around by hand until the water turns very, very dark blue.

With time, the waist will eventually stretch back to its pre-soak measurements, but don't expect the thighs to stretch back. As a general rule, you'll want to go up 1-2 sizes from what you wear in most jeans when buying the 3001, 3002, or SE05BSP. What other jeans do you wear, and in what size?

Also, what sort of fit are you looking for? The 3001 has a very fitted top block with a tight thigh, but the leg is almost totally straight from knee to hem. The 3002 and SE05BSP taper from the knee to hem for a slim leg opening.

The reason i'm going for the 3001 is that it is available in the UK so I won't need to pay customs tax. I currently have APC New Standard size 28 and my true waist is about 30". I want a leg opening of around 7.5" for my new pair. I want a slim but not skinny fit, I wear desert boots quite often and don't like them with skinny jeans. Does the leg opening shrink after a hot soak? From the size chart here - http://rivetandhide.com/brands/the-flat-head/3001.html - I think i'd go for a size 30, what do you think? Thank you!

matt0, if you're a size 30, then buy a size 30. TTS will be fine.

EDIT: Sounds like Sugar Mountain knows this model better than me! My experience of going TTS is with the looser F350/1005 cuts.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Matt, I was wearing a tagged 28 in APC New Standard before buying a pair of 3001 in size 32. The waist didn't need stretching out after soaking, as it fit comfortably, but there's no way I could have gone down to a 30. Pay closer attention to thigh measurements with the 3001 is my advice fwiw.

The reason i'm going for the 3001 is that it is available in the UK so I won't need to pay customs tax. I currently have APC New Standard size 28 and my true waist is about 30". I want a leg opening of around 7.5" for my new pair. I want a slim but not skinny fit, I wear desert boots quite often and don't like them with skinny jeans. Does the leg opening shrink after a hot soak? From the size chart here - http://rivetandhide.com/brands/the-flat-head/3001.html - I think i'd go for a size 30, what do you think? Thank you!

My flatheads are sz 30 and they measure 11.2" in thigh 8" in the knees and 7.8" leg opening after a hot soak. I hope this helps. They shrunk about .2" in the knees and leg opening.

Thanks man. I'm like 5'4". haha, not even frontin'. Size 29.

Im 5'5" bro. Hehe. I was thinking of getting these but not sure on what size to get. How does the fit compare to pbj's and strike golds?

Im 5'5" bro. Hehe. I was thinking of getting these but not sure on what size to get. How does the fit compare to pbj's and strike golds?

Oh wait, sorry I lied; I'm a size 28. My Iron Hearts are 29 so I forgot. haha. But it's very similar to the SG1105. If I remember correctly, the SExFHxRJB15's are just slightly slimmer from the knees up. Can't do a direct comparison right now because I left my Strike Gold's back home in Cali. Never owned any PBJ's (yet...). I'm a pretty slim guy though so ymmv.

Oh wait, sorry I lied; I'm a size 28. My Iron Hearts are 29 so I forgot. haha. But it's very similar to the SG1105. If I remember correctly, the SExFHxRJB15's are just slightly slimmer from the knees up. Can't do a direct comparison right now because I left my Strike Gold's back home in Cali. Never owned any PBJ's (yet...). I'm a pretty slim guy though so ymmv.

alright. thanks bro. i thought i saw you post a pic with a pbj on thats why i asked. my pbj xx-011 just came in today, i was debating for the longest time on which to get next between the sg1105, sg1109, SExFHxRJB15 and the pbj's, i chose the cheapest.

Crosspost from WAYWT.

62668_368387706615459_1256391296_n.jpg

I found this awesome snow print sweater hiding in the bottom of a box in the stockroom, it's instantly become one of my favorite FH items I own. Also, I'm thinking the 3009s look quite good with cuffs. They're at two months of real wear now.