The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Cold Summer: I honestly feel that BSP fit is better than the 3009's. The 3009's seem like they might be a little baggy once they stretch out fully. To each his own tho, the fit certainly looks great now.

ps. what happened to your PBJ xx-011s?

Well, even though my BSPs are tight, they never really stretched out anywhere except the waist, so I think these will be fine.

I sold my 11s a long time ago. Those jeans had great denim, construction, and details, but they were way too tight in the thigh - even worse than my BSPs. If I got PBJs again, I'd go down two sizes on the XX-009, that seems like it would be a good fit.

Luukoz: I wear a Size 31 in almost everything else (like Samurai S710) but I went up to 32 for 3009s. FH jeans run small and the 3XXX denim doesn't stretch very much. The best thing to do, though, is measure your jeans and compare the measurements with ones posted on Self Edge, DC4, or other sites selling 3009s.

Just picked up a pair of 3009's as well in a 33 going off of measurements that they'd be a 34 pre-soak. Nope. Just over 32 when they arrived. I've made them work, but has anyone else run into this?

No one has accurate measurements for the 3009. Just to give you a quick idea, a size 36 is likely the best option for someone wanting a 32/32.5 waist post soak.

After I soaked my size 32 3009s, they shrank down to 31.5" and they don't seem to have stretched any in the waist after a few days' wear. FH's lack of stretch is actually a good thing... if you size correctly.

I'd say, take your average size in other jeans and go up one size for Flat Head stuff.

I recently got the 3009s too in size 34. Pre soak they are actually 34 inches in the waist. The whole Jean fits perfect except the waist. It's a little tight before I even soak it. I think my best bet would be to exchange to a size 36 and do a hot agitated soak. I'm scared to keep the 34s and risk not being able to wear them just because the waist. Cold summer, you don't think they stretch very much? Would you recommend just going for the 36 and soaking the hell out of them? I purchased mine from Tate and yoko. Now that they arrived all the sizes are gone and they don't have anymore 36s. Oh what to do. Maybe they will get more in stock.

All jeans will stretch back to their raw size in the waist with enough pressure applied, the 3XXX denim is no different. The variable is the amount of pressure/length of time it takes.

My F350s (size 32) were 33.5 raw, shrank to 31 with an initial 60C wash and stretched back within a week or so. Wearing them damp helps.

EDIT: if necessary, these would also go past their raw size, eg if my waist was bigger and I didn't wear a belt, however in that case I would simply have bought a bigger size.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

3xxx denim shrinks a bit more with every soak. In the case of the 3009, this is a good thing for every part of the jean except the waist. My initial issues with the cut were the hip flare and the general sloppiness around the knees. However, this was rectified with subsequent soaks. (FYI, 3xxx denim appears to have the same shrink factor regardless of whether you use cold or hot water.) My size 34s were quite tight to begin with--and still are to a certain degree--but have loosened up considerably now that I am not washing them on a consistent basis. Be wary of the fact that the button holes loosen up quite a bit as well in a short period of time. (Essentially, once I unbutton the top, the rest come undone on their own.

No surprise, the westerns are cut a bit slimmer. FH shirt sizing is weird though. A few years ago I easily fit into a 42 black mint shirt, then it was 44 for the houndstooth western and then 46 for winter flannels! And I still weigh the same so cannot even blame it on weight gain. That new wabash shirt is looking good too.

those are looking good.

Speaking of which, the SE05BSPs are probably the next pair of jeans i'm going to get.

This has probably been asked many times here, but should I go tts on them?

edit: i'll try to post an update shot of my f310s tomorrow.

Edited by dragon_

Probably the same size as your 310s. BSPs are about the same in the rise; the top few inches of thigh is looser than on the F310, but there's a lot more taper in the knee and farther down the leg. If you've got plenty of room from the mid-thigh down in your F310s you can easily wear the same size in BSPs.

since i've dropped a few sizes, i can't use 310s as reference cause they're a size 34.

I don't really have any other references, but i do know that i'm now a size 30 on Levi's 511s.

edit: aside from the waist, my 310s feel/fit me fine. doesn't really feel that much loose anywhere else

Edited by dragon_

dragon_, in that case, why don't you send your jeans to denim therapy or a similar service to have the waist taken in. your 310's have such an amazing fade and I'm sure they'll get even better with time.

if you do end up getting the BSP's, they aren't as tight as the Self Edge picture makes it seem. the seat is really comfortable post soak. I sized up 1, don't think TTS would work unless your thighs are slim.

congrats on the weight loss btw.

Edited by rosarkar

Thought I'd take some new fit pics of my 3009s now that they've settled in.

3009fit1_zpsaa8bf29d.jpg

3009fit2_zps220d5ced.jpg

3009fit3_zps17aa9988.jpg

I was worried these might stretch out too much, but now that I've put them through a solid week's worth of snow shoveling and sitting with my legs crossed, I think they're through. Like my BSPs, the top thigh is a little loose, but I think it looks a bit better overall than on those jeans since the rest of the leg isn't disproportionately tight on me. Overall I'm really happy with the fit and the way the combs and whiskers are coming in - the shape is a lot better than on my BSPs and very different most Flat Heads, I think in a year or two these are going to have some pretty crazy fading patterns because of the way the top block fits. These 3009s should be very comfortable to wear in warmer weather since they don't hug my legs anywhere.

Here's an old BSP fit pic for comparison.

FH-tee2.jpg

Edited by Cold Summer