arcteryx veilance

thanks dude. i copped. my beater arcteryx SL i bought in 2008 is falling apart so i bought a veilance to replace it. 

i now own galvanic IS, composite, and actuator. i dunno. i own over 10 arcteryx pieces now including regular ones.

it's kinda crazy. my dad bought me my first piece at REI in 2004 or 5  have been wearing it ever since. the first one got me compliments everywhere. it was a made in canada beta LT in dark amazon or something. 

it's one brand that kinda jump started my jawn copping career and i still wear on the regs. it's one brand that has truly stood the test of time. i guess the quality of mainline has gone down over the years but it's really inevitable as the brand has grown. 

it's kind of one brand that really defines me. got the right balance of steez and practicality, you know

Want to buy the composite long sleeve, how is the fit?

Long sleeve? like, composite jacket? it fits just like all the other veilance shells  (i don't know about field IS – they had a weird ass fit when i tried it)

Want to buy the composite long sleeve, how is the fit?

It fits slim, but nothing to crazy.

Not sure what size you are but I'm selling a Mesa Blue in a size large. I can give you the pit to pit if it helps?

I realize this is a subjective question, but do you guys think a galvanic IS would be overkill for san francisco? I run hot so that's a consideration. It only has 60g of coreloft but I'm thinking I'll probably never use it up there. I've been eyeing a few long techwear parkas.

Edited by lysosome

I realize this is a subjective question, but do you guys think a galvanic IS would be overkill for san francisco? I run hot so that's a consideration. It only has 60g of coreloft but I'm thinking I'll probably never use it up there. I've been eyeing a few long techwear parkas.

I haven't worn this particular jacket, but judging from my experience with other insulated Veilance pieces, you're going to boil in there. While they are comfortable across a range of temperature, these pieces were designed more with Canadian than Californian winters in mind so I don't think they are comfortable above ~35-40 degrees. 

I haven't worn this particular jacket, but judging from my experience with other insulated Veilance pieces, you're going to boil in there. While they are comfortable across a range of temperature, these pieces were designed more with Canadian than Californian winters in mind so I don't think they are comfortable above ~35-40 degrees. 

It's way too warm. It was good in Chicago winters until below 0ºC with a thin cashmere/wool sweater underneath. Speaking of Galvanic, apparently Arc'teryx recalled the entire Galvanic coat line and is offering full refunds through their customer service, due to face wear issues (as mentioned earlier in this thread.) 

It's way too warm. It was good in Chicago winters until below 0ºC with a thin cashmere/wool sweater underneath. Speaking of Galvanic, apparently Arc'teryx recalled the entire Galvanic coat line and is offering full refunds through their customer service, due to face wear issues (as mentioned earlier in this thread.) 

How would one go about getting a refund (i.e. if I call in, what should I say)? Are they only refunding galvanics bought directly from their online store? Is it a specific season? Thank you!

I agree 100% with this.

Thanks a lot guys. I already own an align and a composite, so I thought it might be overkill/overlap to buy a long coat. But I now know it will definitely be overkill to buy an insulated coat!

Information regarding Galvanic IS/Imbric recall from Veilance:

Arc'teryx is committed to creating durable products that perform exceptionally well. We have recently discovered that one of our face fabrics is not meeting our standards. The products below are susceptible to premature abrasion of the face fabric. All fabrics are subject to abrasion through wear-and-tear over time, however this is occurring more quickly than what we find acceptable. 

The following models are affected:
1. Fall 2014 Galvanic IS Coat (Model #14820)
2. Spring 2015 Imbric Jacket (Model #15642)

We have contacted each official Arc'teryx retailer and customer who purchased the product online. 

I apologize for the inconvenience and would like to offer you the following options for your case:

1. Replacement with a different item out of our Fall 2015 Arc'teryx Veilance collection or Outdoor line
2. Replacement with the revised Galvanic in 2016 
3. Credit

a. Refund possible if directly purchased through Veilance.com
b. If purchased through a store the credit will need to be issued through the store

In case you should have any questions please do not hesitate and contact us under 1-866-259-6656

So, I finally had a chance to chat with the Germany sales manager for Veilance again, and a question came up: She seems to think that Veilance is (or should be) mainly rooted in the fashion side of things, with performance and materials playing a secondary role; I tend to think that men's teachwear / performance men's wear such as Veilance is more of a cross-over between the worlds of fashion and those of (outdoors) performance.

It's probably a very limited and self-selected sample I'd get here, but still wanted to ask: What's your attitude towards that? Why the interest in Veilance? Fashion or Gore-Tex - or fashionable Gore-Tex? ;)

(Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss publicly, for whatever reason.)

Veilance is fashionable gore-tex, ideally the same protection and longevity i expect out of their climbing-directed shells, just get to wear them comfortably in public and in semi-formal settings. :) 

Veilance is fashionable gore-tex, ideally the same protection and longevity i expect out of their climbing-directed shells, just get to wear them comfortably in public and in semi-formal settings. :)

this. the appeal in veilance lies in the seamless blend of performance and style. emphasizing one over the other would make it a lot less interesting.

that and the ultra minimalist aesthetic. 

Stoopid question: How do you pack the Actuator jacket into its own 'stow pocket'? I mean, considering the gore-tex fabric, should one fold it or stuff it or what? Idiot me spent 10 min trying and fearing of killing the pocket zipper. Thanks for any funny replies

Stoopid question: How do you pack the Actuator jacket into its own 'stow pocket'? I mean, considering the gore-tex fabric, should one fold it or stuff it or what? Idiot me spent 10 min trying and fearing of killing the pocket zipper. Thanks for any funny replies

Not very stupid, that question.

Judging by some of my stuffable jackets (no Veilance, though), the first answer to "How do you pack it?" is "As little as possible" (i.e., leave on a clothes hanger instead, whenever possible).

For stuffing, the recommendation seems (IIRC) to be stuffing, not folding, as folding is more likely to result in (always-the-same) creases that might cause problems whereas stuffing might be more random (putting stress in different places) and less folded-up.

Frankly, for all but superlight, non-Gore Tex, jackets, I'd rather not stuff them but roll them up.

Thanks szg! I now think stuffing may just be the only possible way to fit the jacket through the pocket hole.

TresUnCool: Yes that's it. Veilance even has a beautifully stylized image of the jacket inside its own pocket, but no more info how to do it. Feels to me like a damn magic trick.