Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Yeah, the measurements on them are nearly identical to both my Strike Gold 1109's and my IH 301s', (other than the waist and the rise) but somehow are much much tighter in the whole top block.

Hey Roy fans...just put some RS 1's on ebay.  I think these came from the second batch Roy ever sent to Self Edge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111688256551?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Worn sparingly, washed 2 or three times. 31 tagged - hemmed at SE to 33.  Exact measurements in listing.

And as to not be a complete salesman - Some pics for your ogling pleasure:

IMG_2426_1.jpg

IMG_2429_1.jpg

IMG_2432_1.jpg

Edited by leftyaxeslinger

While my DTWC IH634-XHS were getting a washing, I wore my RT1002 for a day. They were still a bit loose, so I gave them a hot wash + dry to see if there any more shrink in them. They did in fact shrink quite a bit more. 

After wearing them for a couple of days, I'm really, really impressed with what Roy has created. His attention to every little detail makes these jeans simply amazing. 

disclaimer - while my new phone cam takes much, much better pics than my previous one, these pics don't do the denim or the fit justice. The angle of my mirror gives a bit of a Fun House Mirror effect... 

http://RT1002_6-10-15_4_zpswhw6agub.jpg

http://RT1002_6-10-15_1_zpstyguvbap.jpg

http://RT1002_6-10-15_2_zpsxkkxxggy.jpg

BTW - I'm not afraid to put jeans in the dryer for fear or somehow ruining them. I only do it once a great while if I feel they need to shrink a bit, or in this case if I want to insure all the shrink is out. They didn't soften anymore than they were before. I've also found that if they need some stiffening up again, a quick wash and hang dry takes care of that. After a few days wear, they all end up being the same anyway re: whiskers, stacks, combs, etc. I prefer denim to have some rigidity, so I won't be putting these in the dryer again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right....

I have a pair of Brand New Big Bro Jeans - CB-1 Size 33 im offering up.

Unworn, unhemmed, unsoaked - mint as new, with labels all in tact.

These are the cinch back model in a 11oz Unsanforized Denim. Long sold out and never to be remade etc....

Pm for details.

My Big Bros are getting a lot of wear this summer - moving into a super sweet vintage-mid-tone-blue stage:

7XqhERM.jpgPlus, crotch shot.

Yes indeed - cinch back and classic arcs

Edit:

Felt bad for a new page without a picture.

Here are 4 Roy Patches at different levels of total destruction. I don't baby my Roy's:

N1ngMJh.jpg

Edited by erase

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else here still wearing the contest jeans? Here are mine. They're in need of a knee replacement, but they still have some life left in them.

19898350641_a00e6af274.jpg

19893312015_1c9dce8491.jpg

19705295150_b99fd304f1.jpg

My BigBros are just starting to hit their stride. They're being shelved until I can get them shortened and maybe a crotch reinforcement.

19885808602_9e7c04ff36.jpg

19272381443_8917e6bb46.jpg

19885806622_9fe34d0f63.jpg

Roy's new shirt looks great! I'm not really into short sleeve button fronts, but I'd be very happy to own & wear one. Plus, I love red chambray. I really dig the busted back seam - way cool detail. I've often thought more shirts should have that - especially shirts that are made by brands making raw selvedge denim jeans. 

What size shirt is Josh wearing in the pics - small, as usual? I usually take 2 sizes larger than his model shots. 

One thing I dislike the most is the busted seam honestly. Just seems like an extraneous detail... At least on leather jackets it's frowned upon and a plain back much cleaner, I think it extends to shirts.

And people are funny, I hear so often that people don't like short sleeve button downs but I seriously love them! Ultimate casual wear.

those measurements are wack.  43" chest and 16.7" shoulders?  

I would need a M chest, a S length and an XL shoulder to get a fit worth a damn.

The measurements don't always tell the full story.  I just posted this on another board:

There is nothing odd about the fit of these shirts, and i say that with all honesty, even though i'm the guy retailing them and i'm sure people would rather hear this from our customers than me.. I own far more short sleeved button-down shirts than anything else in my wardrobe and the new Roy shirt fits similar to a Flat Head short sleeve except the Roy shirt is longer in length.  I wear a 40 in FH shirts and i'm wearing a Small in Roy's new shirt, but i had to hot soak and dry it to get it to be short enough for me.  

Here are my pre and post soak measurements:

Roy Baja Shirt

Small

BEFORE

Chest: 40

Length: 28.8

Sleeve: 9.6

Shoulder: 16.3

AFTER

Chest: 38.8

Length: 28.2

Sleeve: 9.4

Shoulder: 16

One thing I dislike the most is the busted seam honestly. Just seems like an extraneous detail... At least on leather jackets it's frowned upon and a plain back much cleaner, I think it extends to shirts.

And people are funny, I hear so often that people don't like short sleeve button downs but I seriously love them! Ultimate casual wear.

I get that re: busted back seam on jackets. On a shirt I don't mind it. I'm not into fussy details, and I there're way too many on clothing - especially in this world - that I find a turn-off. This is one detail I like. 

That's a fundamental problem with every one/brand that does their own thing - every one wants to do basic things a little different just so they can differentiate themselves from the next guy/brand, and more often than not these things come off as contrived. What I appreciate about Roy is he does his own unique details, but gets the basics right, and his unique touches just blend in to the overall garment seamlessly. Unless you know what you're looking at, they're unnoticeable. 

Re: sleeve length, for me it's as much of a climate & practical thing as a style thing. In the middle of the Rockies at altitude we have three seasons - June, July, August and Winter. During those three months of not-winter, If I'm wearing a short sleeve shirts it's a t - that's the ultimate casual wear. Temp changes from day to night can be as much as 30-40 degrees, so even some evenings in the middle of summer warrant long sleeves. If I lived in a place where it's roughly the same temp year round, day and night, I'd be wearing more short sleeve button front shirts, fer sure. 

Kiya do you think I'd be an XL or XXL in this one?

I took an XL in the Stevenson mezcal shirt and it fits well, but I'm sure this one is a good bit slimmer through the body.

I would think a XXL after a hot soak would be good for you, i'd say this shirt runs half a size smaller in the body than the Mezcal Dreams shirt.

Thanks for chiming in Kiya.  But that shoulder still seems awfully small considering the rest of the shirt.  

yeah, ill probably try one on since i've found that smaller shoulder measurement can sometimes be OK for me, depending other factors; that said, i like a 19+ shoulder and 40 chest (TFH accomodates this well)...the roy xxl is 19.4 shoulder (maybe <19 after a wash) and a 50 (!) chest..roy is kind of a beanpole himself but i don't want to speculate on how he comes up with designs since i know absolutely nothing..guess this will need to be tried on to see what it's really like

Edited by ironheartfan123

I'll echo what Kiya has to say about it. The shoulder measurements are smaller than my other short sleeve shirts but somehow it doesn't feel small at all compared to my other shirts. The shoulder measurements are closest to my 3sixteen short sleeve and Sugar Cane wabash but when I put it on, it feels closer to my flat head houndstooth shirt in overall fit. I ended up hot soaking and machine drying and got pretty much the same measurements as kiya. 

Here are some quick pictures I took for comparison:

1OIvexnh.jpg

shoulder: 16inch

Q4tv6Bph.jpg

shoulder: 17.75

YseVPJCh.jpg

shoulder: 16.25

b33xYzhh.jpg

shoulder: 18

EkdDmD8h.jpg

shoulder: 16.25

Edited by youngofthesoonest

yeah it does fit like your other shirts, all way too long for me though imo. 

shoulders are still very small, but if it doesn't affect comfort then it doesn't really matter I guess!

Re: sleeve length, for me it's as much of a climate & practical thing as a style thing. In the middle of the Rockies at altitude we have three seasons - June, July, August and Winter. During those three months of not-winter, If I'm wearing a short sleeve shirts it's a t - that's the ultimate casual wear. Temp changes from day to night can be as much as 30-40 degrees, so even some evenings in the middle of summer warrant long sleeves. If I lived in a place where it's roughly the same temp year round, day and night, I'd be wearing more short sleeve button front shirts, fer sure. 

Oh yeah, I totally got ya. Really I'm talking about people who just straight up don't like the look of them. Living in southern california probably forms my opinion on practicality and style ;)

If I lived in the rockies I'd love wearing a bunch of long sleeves and jackets!