Lofgren of Japan (Speedway)

RRLselvageDenim

I know I'm dredging up an old post here, but in case you read this guy's bullshit account of Lofgren:

im like 99% sure i know this dude. back then he went by "johnny lofgren". i was in the JET program with him and as soon as we shot out of that plane ride from sfo, took a look around at all the other assholes in the program, i turned to him and said "hey man im ditching orientation tomorrow". he was 5 steps ahead of me. dude was well versed in the ways of tokiokan nampa-do and i was getting my ume popped so he offered to show me around town. i just had to tag along to some of his "business" meetings. turns out he was scheming to open up a vintage clothes and jeans thing out there and he had to hook up with contacts and flip levis and shit. i never knew fools were buying assy levis for yenzillions like that. he schooled me on all that redline pocket pet copper tittie minutiae. he was a meganerd in that department. all this fancy jean skirt details is exactly this dudes bag. i mean, if this aint dude, he's got a serious doppleganger evil twin brother singing his songs and bangin his wifey out there in nifonia. in any case, the stuff looks tasty, yatta homie!

Then check out this part from an interview:

"What made you move to Japan?

- Various reasons really...I was working at a raghouse selling vintage clothing wholesale and saw no future there. One of my customers from Japan offered me a position as a buyer for his company and to open up a vintage clothing shop of my own."

Somebody is not telling the truth here; my guess is, it's the incoherent charisma man from a few pages back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a clown > http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-LOFGREN-CO-ENGINEER-BOOTS-BROWN-HORWEEN-LEATHER-/171112143942?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d7141c46

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-LOFGREN-CO-ENGINEER-BOOTS-BLACK-HORWEEN-LEATHER-/181202305419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a307fc18b

He's selling them at a approx. 40% mark up from Speedway's retail price, i feel sorry for the buyers who will fall for this.

Also check out the McCoys stuff he's selling, also ridiculously overpriced.

Edited by Mich

Crazy aint it? He is just a very expensive proxy disguised as an ebay seller. He has zero stock and you even have to contact him before you bid just to make sure he can get hold of the item. All the pics are stock photo,s.

I do a McCoys search most days ("looser" i know) and there is usually 15-20 items for sale, as from last week thanks to this dude there is now 200+  i have to waste my time viewing 5 pages instead of 1.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Haha yeah, i had the same thing with an automated ebay search on McCoys receiving an email almost everyday.

And to know there is no easier way to get hold of a pair of Lofgren engineers than to simply contact John himself.

from the source, fast easy and one hell of a lot cheaper, who needs a proxy for that...

There is some chances out there taking advantage of the uninitiated... I remember a few years ago there was a seller in the US just re-posting Yahoo Auctions sales on ebay, same photo's same write up just ran through translator with 50% higher BIN. Quoted 6weeks delivery to allow for double shipping. Always with the caveat "Could be out of stock"

• 2 months later...

Anybody have any thoughts on the John Lofgren engineers in CXL vs. the new Badalassi leather ones? I know CXL, but Badalassi is an unknown entity for me. What are the relative merits of each?

Anyone? I'm looking at a pair of Lofgrens and wondering about the differences in leather.

Also, any pictures of some well worn in ones? I think billy's are his newest pair (out of his 3, bastard :D ).

• 9 months later...

Lofgren sneakers!

Retail will be about $175 in Japan, about $205 in America.  There are three models, all have a vulcanized sole, all edges are taped (not stitched), and they're super heavy because of the double-thick sole making them super comfortable.  Should be at Self Edge in January or February.  

JLS7.jpg
JLS8.jpg
JLS4.jpg
JLS6.jpg
JLS1.jpg
JLS2.jpg
JLS3.jpg
JLS5.jpg

Currently have a pair of Vans in that same ecru/gum sole combination and I get lots of compliments now that they're all beaten up.

Hope they make them to American shoe size standards (assuming they will, since SE is carrying them).

When I lived in Asia it was nearly impossible to find shoes in my size.

me likey. 

What's the outer fabric and lining fabric - do you know yet? 

The fabrics are 100% cotton for breathability. 

These look awesome. Also,

...all edges are taped (not stitched)...

I'm not familiar with sneaker construction, this wouldn't affect durability would it? Or are you just saying that they're made by normal vulcanized sneaker standards and not welted to the sole?

These look awesome. Also,

I'm not familiar with sneaker construction, this wouldn't affect durability would it? Or are you just saying that they're made by normal vulcanized sneaker standards and not welted to the sole?

That is correct, it's a traditional vulcanized sole with taping.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Next Lofgren boot release is going to be so good.. Nero Badalassi leather, short shift engineer boot with 4mm taken off the sole/heel for comfort/weight reduction.

DSC06368.jpg

DSC06373.jpg

DSC06370.jpg

Next Lofgren boot release is going to be so good.. Nero Badalassi leather, short shift engineer boot with 4mm taken off the sole/heel for comfort/weight reduction.

DSC06368.jpg

DSC06373.jpg

DSC06370.jpg

yeah, those are nice indeed.   what is the e.t.a. for these boots?

yeah, those are nice indeed.   what is the e.t.a. for these boots?

February!