arcteryx veilance

What's not to like? As long as this doesn't affect their production or quality I have no problem with it. J. Crew has been carrying tons of 3rd party lines for a long while now. If anything it's going to be beneficial to guys like us because knowing J. Crew they'll put it on ultra sale by accident or have insane prices in-store.

And now there's an actual reason to go a mall.

I get that train of thought, but I think you need to understand how, ultimately, it's pretty selfish. (Not calling you out, just saying.)

They're losing their niche market appeal and essentially diluting their image. 

If Veilance ceases to be "cool," then there really is nothing stopping them from merging Veilance into the mainline. 

I'm in tresuncool's camp. Veilance is a boutique brand with a pretty niche aesthetic and an obvious incrowd-appeal. It irks me to see a brand with a strong image like that in jcrew's racks, where the intricacies of the pieces are likely to be lost on the customer.

However, i'm guessing that veilance might not be a mainstay for places like nordstrom or jcrew, but that they're experimenting with an emerging brand to see if it might fit their collection. 

also: the fuck is up with the new asymmetric chest pockets on the field lt in that jcrew picture? i can't imagine veilance messing with the perfection of the field jacket's base pattern.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

From what I heard is that Arc has given their  sales reps te possibility to sell Veilance to their existing and new customer base.

So while Jcrew is a big new fish in the pond , don't be surprised if it ends in your local climber and trekking store next to the regular Arc line..

J. Crew they'll put it on ultra sale by accident or have insane prices in-store.

And now there's an actual reason to go a mall.

Mall + insane prices = exactly what eventually will drag a brand down that defines itself by its premium positioning. I wonder why Arc did that. In need of the volume? Struggling to hit targets?

also: the fuck is up with the new asymmetric chest pockets on the field lt in that jcrew picture? i can't imagine veilance messing with the perfection of the field jacket's base pattern.

New pocket placement according to Jcrew : Inspired by british motorcycle jackets from the 50's

the problem with veilance in j. crew (also barney's, mr. porter, etc) if you see what other tie-ins and brands they're carrying, mackintosh, nanamica, barbour, all with a heritage slant unlike veilance of course but still expensive, it does make veilance look like the geeky mac/trench, a north face but a more expensive version to the unknowing customer. all the features, nuances, what makes veilance different will I'm guessing be lost on the average j. crew customer and they're in danger of losing that niche cache they have built up as a brand.

maybe we don't want something that is exclusively ours to be lost amongst the oi polloi.

Edited by scamster

Yup I saw that during my vacation. I get and understand the other point of view, but if literally nothing changes about AV aside from the fact it's carried at X Y Z I don't have a problem with it. I would be so happy if REI carried AV

Unlimited returns, I get money back, and I get to interact with cool climbing people? yes please

Random thought – Field Jacket performs best at 30º-40ºF when the weather doesn't know if it wants to snow or rain and it's just the perfect outerwear at the level no joke

I'm in tresuncool's camp. Veilance is a boutique brand with a pretty niche aesthetic and an obvious incrowd-appeal. It irks me to see a brand with a strong image like that in jcrew's racks, where the intricacies of the pieces are likely to be lost on the customer.

Exactly.

Also, I feel like people forget what it's like to physically go into a boutique and shoot the shit with buyers/store owners who have a passion for what they do and the brands they carry, and who's entire intention is to pass on some of that feeling into a shopping experience. That shit's cool, man. I really dig it and choose to support these operations.

But I won't lie, I buy Veilance on mad discount, too--it'd be stupid not to at this point. However, I'd also be that guy willing to actually save for an Insulated Field Jacket if they were made more scarce and never landed in the discount bin. 

I don't see why you'd pay Veilance at full price with this thread and Superfuture to help; as long as you buy between seasons and use Tigerprawn's patented insta-updates, I haven't paid full price for any Veilance ever.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Yes, I'm very affraid of the brand dilution but I feel that J.Crew is not that bad store, certainly not any more pretentious than Mr.Porter,Barney's or any menswear focused shops. They've been carrying techwear like Nanamica and Aether for years without ruining it. It probably won't be sold at the mall J.Crew shops but only online and at the flagship stores.

I feel that one bad celebrity "endorsement" (imagine Kanye in AV, horror) might be worse than one brand having three jackets in back of their catalogue.  

What I'm saying is that Veilance is still a rare breed, no store will change the product, only the brand vision transmission or whatever.

not exactly local I know but they're already selling veilance in snow + rock.

It's not exactly Snow + Rock but sister Arc'teryx-only London store nearby which is in my opinion perfect place for Veilance. Knowledgeable and passionate staff and shop only focused on Arc'teryx goods. 

Edited by Brainboy

I for one do find it very strange..

Veilance was set out by arc as their premium line. Sort of Nike's quikstrike.

Not readily available and therefor getting a bit more rumor around the brand.

Targeted at a specific niche market that wanted a good fitting jacket with tech options without snowskirts and helmet fitting hoods etc..

As Arc doesn't come cheap already and their lines are already confusing enough they are placing it in outdoor shops.

Imho their clientele isn't looking for a $ 1500 jacket that you can wear in town but is useless on the mountain. They are looking for a jacket full of options that they can use around town and in the mountains..(I know I do..)

The J crew option is also confusing..Sure you will win over consumers who have the money to spend on the cheaper Veilance jackets and you keep them away from your Tech stuff but you are also estranging the early adaptors (eg us) by throwing it out in the open. 

The bigger chains probably won't buy the patrol another really expensive stuff as their customer base doesn't buy that.

We( the snobs we are) go and look for other options to spend our money on(as we are early adaptors)

Therefore making boutiques(our dealers) rethink their strategy and maybe dropping the Veilance line as there are other options(acronym,herno) to consider.. They can't compete with the end of season sales (and wholesale prices) of the bigger chains..

So in the end if they overplay that hand (and they usually do)it will lead to quick downfall of the brand and dragging the Arc name along withit...

A better option would have been to broaden the boutique field with a low entry ,(low buying volume  and only the cheaper jackets) but that's just my two cents..

according to the veilance connoisseurs over at 290, the new apparat pants are actually cropped and not full length. the model a few pages back is probably like five foot tall or something. 

the apsis in the same pictures is a long coat made out of the same ultralight windshell material found in the windshell blazer.

Whoever on here has been shit talking Veilance stowable hoods was right - tried on a Galvanic IS and as an afterthought popped up the hood.  Godamn that thing is poorly designed.  I really like the IS and sort of like the Field Jackets but for a Co. that pride themselves on melding beautiful form and function they failed terribly on that mark.  I had toyed with either as a sort of "ultimate" do anything jacket for cold-weather city travel to complement my unlined Nomad but part of ultimate" is that the thing should perform and do so without making you look like a gimp - the hood provide almost no cover of the face and throat and looks and sits goofy as hell.

Still awesome jackets otherwise - would consider one at a deep discount for the slim warmth and just suffer the wet and ignomy if caught in heavy rain.

The galvanic's pack able hood seemed interesting as it stowed underneath the collar. I'm surprised it didn't work for you @fals3 cus' my field jacket lt stow able hood might be the best fitting one I've ever worn.

And to weigh in on the jcrew conversation: I can see the good and bad coming out of this jcrew thing. On one hand it will dilute the brand hype a bit, but to be fair that would have happened naturally over time. We all tend to be very fickle about our beloved brands and like someone said previously a bad celebrity endorsement is enough to kill a brands hype i.e. Robin Williams decked out in ACR. Tres is also correct that it is a boutique brand, and I agree on how much I enjoy befriending shop owners and having someone to nerd out on clothing with. Currently though I only buy Veilance online as I live in a city filled with awful urban wear and devoid of any cool shops.

However, this could be Arc trying to put some more money behind Veilance in the hopes of expanding the line and lowering the price point a bit, which inevitably benefits us the consumer, as we will have even more product to fawn over and better price points so we won't have to wait until sales season (could also give them money to do a women's Veilance line, which I personally would love to see the wifey in). It would also give them the money to expand the sewing facility in Canada and could eventually allow them to move more of the mainline production to their home turf thereby bettering the majority revenue stream. Plus, Nanamica didn't lose any cool points being sold in the crew and neither did Yuketen, and Common Projects are sold everywhere, yet we still love them. With the majority of big name designers now pulling elements from techwear and introducing them into their lines, this day was bound to come sooner or later, at least it's j crew and not topman or Asos.

However, this could be Arc trying to put some more money behind Veilance in the hopes of expanding the line and lowering the price point a bit, which inevitably benefits us the consumer, as we will have even more product to fawn over and better price points so we won't have to wait until sales season (could also give them money to do a women's Veilance line, which I personally would love to see the wifey in). It would also give them the money to expand the sewing facility in Canada and could eventually allow them to move more of the mainline production to their home turf thereby bettering the majority revenue stream. Plus, Nanamica didn't lose any cool points being sold in the crew and neither did Yuketen, and Common Projects are sold everywhere, yet we still love them. With the majority of big name designers now pulling elements from techwear and introducing them into their lines, this day was bound to come sooner or later, at least it's j crew and not topman or Asos.

I think quite a few pages back it was mentioned that ss14 or aw14 would include a womens line (I could be wrong, it might be 2015), but Im pretty sure its coming sooner rather than later.

Been wearing the STF jacket a lot lately. Finally got a chance to wear it in the rain since it finally rained a bit in the bay. Obviously very water proof, but noticed I needed a base layer under to stay warm. Even cooler though are the front two pockets! I was able to fit my ipad mini comfortably in one, and a 300 page 8x4 book in the other. The pockets are huge and easily accessible so I find myself hiding a lot of stuff in there from the rain.  

according to the veilance connoisseurs over at 290, the new apparat pants are actually cropped and not full length. the model a few pages back is probably like five foot tall or something. 

the apsis in the same pictures is a long coat made out of the same ultralight windshell material found in the windshell blazer.

That is so disappointing. I was really excited for those pants as they look to be composite and appear to have the front slant pockets from the old spec pants. I wont write them off until I see the actual site photos if they drop this week, I just hope they have a full length pant as a compliment to them.

There's a redesigned version of the Liminal pant for Fw14 which looks pretty cool too.  It's coming in a waxed brushed cotton/nylon material.

I missed the Liminal pant in 2012, I would love to get them but vaxed material, not DWR seems very strange for AV.

More SS items ready at 290sqm. And here is what 4chan/fa clueless sociopaths fellows think of our little discussion. :D

Edited by Brainboy