Left Field Jeans

scotty2

I really like and am intrigued by the sizing up method on Chelseas that's caught on on the last few pages. Those are some nice fits. I'm about to buy another pair and could use more overall room, so I was initially considering sizing down on some Greasers. What would be the main difference in fit from sizing up on Chelsea jeans and down on Greasers? A slightly lower rise and wider leg opening? Is that much of a visible difference?

I really like and am intrigued by the sizing up method on Chelseas that's caught on on the last few pages. Those are some nice fits. I'm about to buy another pair and could use more overall room, so I was initially considering sizing down on some Greasers. What would be the main difference in fit from sizing up on Chelsea jeans and down on Greasers? A slightly lower rise and wider leg opening? Is that much of a visible difference?

KH, I'm about a month into some Black Maria Greasers (which are killer, by the way). Chelseas were just too narrow from the knee down for my taste. So, I found myself caught between a 34 & 35 Greaser in the waist, and after getting input from Satchel & Pepper Davies, I went with the 35's. I'm glad I did, for one particular reason: I haven't had a pair with such high rise in a while. While the leg measurements would have been more than fine in a 34, I think my rather average thirtysomething beer gut would have been in some serious discomfort with a smaller waist + high rise combo. The high rise is especially noticeable when sitting down. Ultimately, no complaints from me: I got good advice and wasn't delusional about cutting back on craft brew. I suppose if you measure about the same or wider at the hips as you do across the stomach, you might be able to do the sizing down on the greasers though. Good luck. 

^right on MHE. KH a TTS or sized up chelsea is going to give you more room than a sized down greaser. They will all stretch but my vote is +1 or TTS on the greaser depending on your tolerance.

Thanks for the advice. I've got a pretty high tolerance. Also I'm a slim dude, so it was never an issue with comfort. I'm like you MHE, a 30 something with a craft brew habit who's looking for something with a little more room from the knee down these days, but still something that would compliment a slim guy (Sorry I'm not currently near any LF retailers).

Edited by Karl Hungus

I love the greaser cut in the smaller sizes. I would imagine if you have a larger waist but are still slim the Chelsea could be legit too. I've tried the greaser in a 31, 32, and 33. The 32 I found was slim but I love the amount of room in the upper thigh.

Edit: Nevermind! Thought I was being slick, but I see these are still offered on leftfieldnyc. Thought they'd been gone for some time. Anyway, they have other sizes available.

http://berkeleysupply.com/products/cone-white-oak-indigo-selvedge-canvas-tailored-chinos

Edited by Karl Hungus

Edit: Nevermind! Thought I was being slick, but I see these are still offered on leftfieldnyc. Thought they'd been gone for some time. Anyway, they have other sizes available.

http://berkeleysupply.com/products/cone-white-oak-indigo-selvedge-canvas-tailored-chinos

KH, You on the Front Range in Colorado, or more precisely, in Denver, too? Berkeley Supply is a cool little (and I mean very little) store. The guy who runs the place is a nice and friendly chap. Copped a nice Tanner wallet off him last fall. I don't get up to the Highlands too much, but he's in a nice little neighborhood. 

MHE, I'm right below you in NM. I got some close friends up there who were just in town who I'll be going to see soon. That shop looks impressive, kind of a Woodlands in PDX vibe. All American made and brands that I support. It got a mention in a rawdenim artice about Colorado just recently.

KH, I'm about a month into some Black Maria Greasers (which are killer, by the way). Chelseas were just too narrow from the knee down for my taste. So, I found myself caught between a 34 & 35 Greaser in the waist, and after getting input from Satchel & Pepper Davies, I went with the 35's. I'm glad I did, for one particular reason: I haven't had a pair with such high rise in a while. While the leg measurements would have been more than fine in a 34, I think my rather average thirtysomething beer gut would have been in some serious discomfort with a smaller waist + high rise combo. The high rise is especially noticeable when sitting down. Ultimately, no complaints from me: I got good advice and wasn't delusional about cutting back on craft brew. I suppose if you measure about the same or wider at the hips as you do across the stomach, you might be able to do the sizing down on the greasers though. Good luck. 

Same issue, here. However, I know a 35 will be way too big. Only real solution is to get a gym membership and trim thafuk down. (<--talking about myself. I'm in no way calling you fat.)

Edited by TresUnCool

My thirty-something torso is fortunately not afflicted with a gut, but I am annoyingly keg shaped; if anyone has (like me) obsessively read and re-read Cryptonomicon, when Neal Stephenson describes Randy as being keg shaped, with excess weight distributed across my torso, he might as well have been describing me.

But it's very cyclical - beer out of keg into my mouth and into a keg again.

I've got two pairs of Greasers, but I'm toying with the Chelseaas - unless I keep misreading the measurements, the diferences are pretty modest; certainly fairly modest compared to other brands differentiation between a straight and slim cut. Is it fair to call the Chelseas something of a slim/straight to the knee and then a taper from knee down?

^jake, yes. compared to most jeans that do a mid-rise straight and a low-rise slim, the differences between the greaser and chelsea are small.

Hey wait a minute where did this size 35 come from?  I have lamented with Satchel many times upon the absence of the size 35, so prevalent 6-7 years ago.

Good call, size 35 is a good niche to provide.

I would love to see 37.  Been squeezing into 36's (which is actually 35.5).  35.5 to 38 is a pretty big gap.  If there's enough demand, would a 37 become a reality?  I would order a pair of Black Marias today if I could get em in 37.  

I'm in your boat setterman.  35.5 to 38 is the biggest jump between sizes in the Greasers and I fall within the middle of that gap.  My 35.5 Kurokis did stretch out after a few months of wear though.    

At the end of the day, these types of measurement & fit issues significantly affect how and why somebody buys a pair of denim, regardless of whether we want to support Christian/LFNYC or Karl at RGT or the guys at 3Sixteen. But, at the risk of sentimentalizing our consumer choices, these measurement/fit issues are also what bring us together with the brands we like and, hopefully, patronize (not to mention the people behind those brands). I admire RGT & 3Sixteen, and I happily own a pair of indigo work trousers from RGT (which are cut much differently than the Stantons). But, despite my admiration for these two other brands, I just don't fit happily in their jeans. Indeed, not fitting in their jeans contributed a great deal to my learning about and then buying some from Christian. I think that's just the way it works. No matter how much you can like a brand's product or viewpoint or whatever, if the product doesn't actually work for you than you're stuck either finding someplace else to shop or risking being grumpy and dissatisfied.

That said, unless I'm missing something, the 35 greaser emerged only after their was observable consumer demand. The beauty of having the "virtual" attention of Christian on this forum is that there's a reasonable chance he'll consider our concerns even if he doesn't/cannot always act on them.     

christian, out of everyone, is one of the most direct, transparent and accessible brand owners around when it comes to questions, concerns, comments and requests from customers, potential customers and stockist (or potential stockists).

just like MHE said, it's super hard to fit 100% of the people who want jeans with just two cuts. Sufu is a tremendous benefit to consumers, brands and shops because it brings everyone together with a common goal, finding jeans that meet one's needs. as we all learn from each other and adjust accordingly, people like me who have the pleasure of helping many people make happy denim purchases, can see brands grow to better serve their customers. no one has done more than christian. serious ground level, man-of-the-people stuff.

Yup!  Completely agree Mile High and Satchel.  That's why I thought inquiring about 37 was worth a shot.  But if there's no demand, hey, what can you do?  No biggie.   

By the way, Choctaw Ridge boxer briefs...oh yes!  Found some on a nice sale.  4 pairs is not enough! 

Yup!  Completely agree Mile High and Satchel.  That's why I thought inquiring about 37 was worth a shot.  

That's right. If no one tells ya what they're looking for, you'll never know.  

Edited by setterman