Eternal Jeans

minya

DSC01916.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

Awful pictures, but you guys get the idea.

5'5, 125lbs

These are size 28 waist. Inseam shrank up pretty nicely I'd say (unless there's more shrinking to be expected). The left leg twisted.

I'm new to unsanforized denim. I didn't really "soak" them, just threw them in the washer inside-out with the hot water setting and took them out before the spin cycle. They stood up on their own after the hang dry! But now they're soft and very comfortable.

Went for the 32's in the end, and very glad I did. Wore them during the soak and air dried them with a piece of wood in the waistband to ensure they didn't contract too much. Waist fits perfectly IMO and the general fit is exactly what I was hoping for yet still allows for any more shrinkage from further soaks/washes.

Thanks to all who advised on this.

Before and after soak pics.

Before

5pfv9h.jpg

rwv1op.jpg

xczmc.jpg

After

1zexyxh.jpg

jl2ql1.jpg

2vj5qop.jpg

Fail mifune

but fiddling with the centreback is one of the worst things you can do.

Firstly, your tailor will NOT have a double needle chainstitcher to put together what he's taken apart. Instead he apply single 2 single needle stitches.... that looks like shit and not very durable.

I've had this done of on a pair of samurais 510. The tailor said they will look exactly the same as the original stitches. The truth is they Dont, and i was extremely pissed and demanded he needs to replace my jeans. But he wouldnt, so i've been spreading bad rep for him ever since.

just got to chime in here and say that the elite tailors (denim doctors, for one) have the double needle chainstitcher and can do those alterations. I had 2 pairs altered by them in this fashion without problems. They are pricier than your local tailor but you get what you pay for.

i wouldnt really say that is a complete explanation, the reason vintage jeans have such intense whiskering sometimes is because they are not skin tight. its just about creating tension in the fabric, and since there is much more overall tension in a tight fighting jean there is less of a difference in the whiskers themselves, as less of a crease is created. it sounds like they are just very snug fitting, meaning fading around the knee bulge will be intense and immediate compared to the 'waise/crotch' area.

hmmm...interesting theory but I think you're lumping all fantastic vintage fades into one broad collection. For every one jean with awesome fades that end up in a photo here or in some vintage shop somewhere, there are probably hundreds of jeans that didn't turn out looking fantastic and are probably sitting in the bottom of a trunk in some cellar somewhere if not in the dumpster.

i definitely agree recurrent wrinkles need to set in before fading can occur. I can see how a pair that is too tight may not give one area enough stretch if it's pulling tight all over the place. But I've had way too many pairs that were too loose for wrinkles to set in quickly enough. Perhaps supertight fits may defeat the purpose; but overall, generally, a snug fit that creates areas of tugging is better than a loose fit in my opinion. If I were to choose, I would ere on the side of being more fit and snug than loose.

• 1 month later...

Nice progress. Reminds me I should post some evo shots of my 883's.