Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

• 3 weeks later...

This might not be the best thread to ask, but there doesn't seem to be a thread that's about both SLR and non-SLR.

I need a new camera set-up. I have about $1000-1200 to spend. I need a body, a good 50mm-equivalent prime (ie 28/35mm on an APS-C sensor, or whatever that is in m4/3), and a cheap zoom lens for times when I need all the other focal lengths, but quality isn't all that important for that one. If I'm going Canon I'll probably also get a 50/1.8 because why not.

I really care about ergonomics and manual controls, being able to get the shot I need in the shortest possible amount of time. Image quality is somewhat important, but more in the sense of low-light performance. Photography isn't really a creative pursuit for me, I just need to get the shots that I need to get. I've heard that recent generations of dSLR sensors really improved the low light performance to great extents. The last SLR I had was a Canon 30D. Currently my only camera is an LX3 but while it's great in some situations the performance just isn't adequate for me anymore, and it constantly underexposes everything unless I specifically tell it not to.

Maximum portability would be great of course, but not if I have to make large sacrifices elsewhere to get it. Is there still a large delta in performance between something like a 600/650D and a similarly priced non-SLR, and can the m4/3 lenses compare to Canon/Nikon ones?

• 2 weeks later...

which ones have good video (and audio)

i find that a lot of cameras i take to concerts record the shittiest audio..

everytime there is a lot of bass going on the sound is all muddled

which ones have good video (and audio)

i find that a lot of cameras i take to concerts record the shittiest audio..

everytime there is a lot of bass going on the sound is all muddled

From the cameras I've used, the sony nex stuff does a good job with video. Fuji does a shit job. Canon probably does better than Nikon but I haven't really tested those much.

Full frame mirrorless with 35F20 lens... pretty nice, but damn, $2800?!?

rx1.gif

http://www.sonyalpha...ame-a99-sensor/

If it had a NEX 6/7 type viewfinder I would've been much more interested. With that said, though, I can see myself buying a camera like this in the near future.

I hope Fuji has the X100 replacement at Photokina next week. It'll probably be my next digital camera as I'm too pleb to afford a Leica. Ha.

• 3 months later...

hope someone can offer some suggestions

i need to buy a camera fairly soon for a class and personal use. my budget is $500, and ill mostly likely be using manual settings. low-light performance, and image quality are important.

raw support, and the ability to mount a viewfinder would be nice also

the models ive looked at so far are the s110, x10, lx7

not really sure what i should be be looking at, but would like a nice all-around compact

any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

one part plug, one part genuinely looking for feedback.

I've designed a tiny fisheye camera, it's got some press recently, was featured in the UK metro and on the Dailymail website.

Let me know what you think?

it's digital fisheye minicam, 12mp, HD video, £65, time lapse feature.

I wanted to incorporate some of the features of shooting with film, and so the camera doesn't have a back screen - that way the developing process is replicated when you plug the camera into your computer and you get a surprise to find out what you managed to capture!

2lwlunt.jpg

I'm raising funds to put the camera into production on indiegogo - PM me if interested.

getting the word out is difficult though, as I have no budget for advertising.

yeh! but rather than using an effect to replicate the fisheye effect it has a fisheye lens. also, its a stand alone camera that feels like you're shooting with film (you don't know what you've really taken until you 'develop' it). also! it's really cheap £65 - way cheaper than a smartphone.

I've tried that RX1. Its pretty sweet actually. The friend that has it, hooked it up to his iPad so he can load pics on the go. Great photos too. He has a Leica M9 too, but he leaves that at home now since he has the more compact RX1.

I'm in the market, but unfortunately it seems there isn't something out there that has everything I want. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes close. Just seems a tad big.

Here's to hoping more options open up in the next few months. Something within my budget, unlike the Fujis and the Sonys.

• 4 months later...

I'm considering getting the Fujifilm X100S. Are there any good competitors in the price range I should check out first? I haven't really paid attention to the market over the last six months. I had a X100 a while back and liked it besides some minor issues, so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the X100S but I'm open to others.

Edited by emil.ca