Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

I've been following this thread for a couple months now, but really don't know what is the best fit. I would appreciate some help.

I currently own a Nikon D300. I really like it, but I'm looking for something smaller. My biggest issue with the D300 is the lack of video. I don't know. I guess I'm not being too specific, but maybe that's enough information. Price range of around a grand tops?

I've been following this thread for a couple months now, but really don't know what is the best fit. I would appreciate some help.

I currently own a Nikon D300. I really like it, but I'm looking for something smaller. My biggest issue with the D300 is the lack of video. I don't know. I guess I'm not being too specific, but maybe that's enough information. Price range of around a grand tops?

Get a Nikon D90, it has better image quality then the D300 and takes video. Its also smaller. You can find them used for around 6-700. The D90 is an epic camera.

any experience here with the nex-5 and gf2? the sony seems to be better for low light but the lens sounds weak.

NEX 5 user here and absolutely love it. You're right about the lenses tho. The kit lenses are competent, but not spectacular. There's a roadmap for new lenses and the Zeiss prime should be tasty. But I primarily use legacy lenses which I think is one of the biggest advantages of the platform. Super compact body with DSLR quality and sensor. I pretty much carry it with me daily, compared to before when I used a Canon 450D and rarely had with me ever due to it's size...

GF2 is also great. I've played around with it here and there, but I liked the NEX's sensor size and low light capabilities.

im still going back and forth between the s95 and lx5..i know the s95 is more "pocketable" and the damn lens cap on the lx5 kinda bugs me.

i wonder if its even worth it to get a filter adapter to stick on the front of the lx5.

If it's like the lx3, you can buy a retractable ricohish lens cap, you don't have to take it on and off all the time

youre also press fitting the cap onto a threaded area so you can mess up your threads which is bad if you want to use lens adapters and what not.

also you have to add some bumper things to avoid vignetting from the rico lens cap-- people use glue and foam.

glue fumes may or may not degrade your leica lens.

that being said i have a ricoh lens cap if you want to buy.

im still going back and forth between the s95 and lx5..i know the s95 is more "pocketable" and the damn lens cap on the lx5 kinda bugs me.

i wonder if its even worth it to get a filter adapter to stick on the front of the lx5.

if you have a dslr then get the s95 -- if you want this camera to be your full time camera and you are planning on shooting fully manual then go with the lx5. i have had both and all though i liked the size and ergonomics of the s95, i still preferred the lx5.

gf1 or epl-2? i want the pana 20mm which comes with the gf1 in a packaged deal. i also like the look and feel of the panasonic body better. epl-2, i like that it goes upto 6400iso, have IS, and a nicer EVF. but i'll have to put more effort into selling the kit lens and purchase the 20mm separately.

fuck, so hard to decide.

did you decide?

NEX 5 user here and absolutely love it. You're right about the lenses tho. The kit lenses are competent, but not spectacular. There's a roadmap for new lenses and the Zeiss prime should be tasty. But I primarily use legacy lenses which I think is one of the biggest advantages of the platform. Super compact body with DSLR quality and sensor. I pretty much carry it with me daily, compared to before when I used a Canon 450D and rarely had with me ever due to it's size...

GF2 is also great. I've played around with it here and there, but I liked the NEX's sensor size and low light capabilities.

which legacy lenses do you recommend for the nex as an everyday carry around?

which legacy lenses do you recommend for the nex as an everyday carry around?

with the crop, i'd say something slightly wider. my 2 faves are the CV 35mm/1.4 and Elmarit-M 28mm/2.8 - either one of those is pretty much on the cam at all times. occasionally i'll use the kit 16mm as well, which isn't bad.

cost wise - the CV is MUCH less than the Elmarit and faster too... but i like the compactness and sharpness of the Leica glass.

I have a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 on my NEX-5 but I would maybe even go for a 15 or 21 mm Voigtlander. The focal length + appropriate focusing distance means you don't really need to worry when walking around in day time, just snap away.

• 1 month later...
Is there anything new going on? I want to make a purchase on a non SLR sometime before summer ends. IS 4:3rds worth it?

I am enjoying my GF1 with the 20mm a fair bit, Primarily because its small and unobtrusive, great for street and general photography where you don't need the image quality of a DSLR.

Is there anything new going on? I want to make a purchase on a non SLR sometime before summer ends. IS 4:3rds worth it?

check out the sony nex-5 line. the nex-7 may be coming out later this summer/fall as rumored. But it's an amazing camera. You can get an adapter and throw on an amazing quality leica lens or voigtlanders for a fraction of the price.

zeiss lens will cost you an arm and leg. go for GF-1 if you want to keep it simple. gf2 touch screen really bugs me, a dumb decision by panasonic.
what computer you use? windows or apple?

Apple. I downloaded the software and probably just fucked something up. Is there some camera formatting I need to do or something