Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

I hate the handling of the LX-3. Ergonomics/size of the S90 are much better in my opinion.

That rotating bezel around the barrel is pretty convenient.

I would say quality images between the two are negligible.

size = Canon S90

options (accessories) = LX-3

zoom = Canon S90

ergonomics/controls = preference

Wide angle = LX3

Basically what he said:

get the LX3. sell all attachments.

• 5 weeks later...

S90 killer? well, it looks like that's who samsung are going after :

EX1_FS_B_Global.jpg

TL500_T_B_Global.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022005samsungex1.asp#specs

Samsung has released the TL500 (EX1 in Europe) premium compact camera with a fast f/1.8-2.4 wide angle 3x (24-72mm equiv.) image stabilized zoom lens. It comes with an 1/1.7" 10MP CCD sensor and a 3.0" multi-angle AMOLED display. The camera also offers full manual control, RAW capture, VGA video recording in H.264 format and a new faster DRIMeIII processor.

looks pretty tasty. i think the only thing missing is HD video (just like the S90).

this looks pretty cool as well - Oly PEN / Panny GF competition :

PMA_concept-DSLR-001.jpg

Sony has decided to keep no secrets and has outlined its forthcoming plans for 2010, including an APS-C competitor for micro Four Thirds. The company has mockup images of a compact, slimline camera, plus three lenses including a currently-fashionable pancake prime. Alpha SLR enthusiasts will be heartened by a promised successor to the highly-regarded A700 that will shoot AVCHD video, shown alongside an as-yet unidentified, smaller video-capable body. Finally the high end is catered for by an upcoming Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm F2 wideangle lens, and a 500mm F4 G telephoto in what appears to be the same silver finish as graces the 70-400mm F4-5.6.

Ultra-compact new camera with interchangeable lenses, APS-size sensor and AVCHD; more additions to α DSLR line-up

Ultra-compact new α camera with interchangeable lenses in development for launch 2010

Additions to mainstream α family and mid-range successor to α700

New lenses in development including Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM 24mm, new Carl Zeiss wide angle lens and Super Telephoto 500mm f/4 G Lens

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022103sony2010.asp

Until somebody builds something SMALLER than the S90 or the same size at least with the same function and quality, I think it'll remain un-touched. Obviously haven't seen the Samsung TL500 in person but judging by the barrel protrusion, it's still a pretty big camera.

I personally think the S90's defining characteristic is the size.

• 1 month later...
thinking about getting micro four thirds.

what would you buy, GF1 / e-p2 ?? also, samsung nx10

I looked into these two a lot before deciding to go with something smaller (Canon S90), and as much as I wanted to like the olympus better for its looks, the GF1 seemed clearly better in terms of image quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sufu. I have a question..

Is there anything like an "external flash" for point and shoots (I have a Canon SD780) that are affordable?

I saw something called a "flash slave" but it looks like it only works to extend the primary camera flash, meaning it needs to sense the light from the camera's flash firing for it to flash. I'm looking for something that doesn't require the camera's flash to fire, but instead, an external flash. Is this possible?

I'm going to be building a DIY lightbox and instead of dealing with hot, heavy, expensive and cumbersome lamps clamped everywhere I'd rather have a well placed flash bounce off the ceiling of the box so I can take birds-eye pics of whatever's inside. to do this I would imagine i wouldn't want my camera's flash firing directly over the subject.

any help?

thanks in advance

optical slave is still your best bet.

check this link out

http://johnbagnell.blogspot.com/2009/09/using-off-camera-flash-with-point-and.html

"If you can't control the flash level or if you can't turn it down enough, then you might want to deflect or diffuse the builtin flash somewhat with a piece of paper. I used a small piece of white paper taped to the front of the camera at about a 45 degree angle. It effectively bounced the flash up to the ceiling and kept it out of the picture. (but still allowed triggering of the remote flash)"

Ah, I used that index card trick thing before for more diffuse lighting so I suppose it may work in a lightbox from an overhead perspective.

4541369620_247b4161ce.jpg

i kinda wanna recreate this, i took that in daylight though.

trying to do this

flash_illustration.gif

from this angle:

holeintop.jpg

like a hole in the top kinda thing. if that makes it any clearer are there any better options for that?? thanks again mang (can't rep)

i got my s90 today.. this thing rules! the manual mode is so easy to use, i havent even touched auto mode. i filmed these clips today and started to edit a video showing the video quality and then i found out i couldnt save a project in my imovie because its an illegal copy.. so here is an extremely random unfinished edit i made for those interested in seeing the video quality on the s90.

http://vimeo.com/11226537

yeah ive never edited any footage before so no need to tell me how shitty the video is lol

I was just about to ask about the new Sony actually, it looks pretty sweet. Anyhow, I want to buy a new camera as my carry around, and I am not sure that I want to spend the extra on a micro four thirds though, or that I need the high iso capabilities - I am thinking it would probably be easier sticking with something along the lines of the G11 or even the LX3 (I know people love the S90, but after handling it, it's too dinky for me).

I was wondering whether people think it is worthwhile holding out until the Samsung TL500 comes out? Looks like it could be the new LX3?

man I love sufu, I come looking for a thread that will give me peoples opinions on the s90 and I find it. Im thinking about buying one in a couple weeks, and I wanted to know what everyone thought of it. the new sonys are pretty sick but the lenses just look a little bigger than what I want to carry around.

has anybody has bad experiences (minus the dude a couple pages back with the bad shots in the club) with their s90? I see a lot of reviews full of pros and good things about it, but not a whole lot of bad things

bought mine today! Im in love. my buddy came over so I snapped a couple test-shots, this one came out kinda nicely. he's got some apcs

4620370995_c0b92445f8.jpg

...gunna pull the trigger on a S90 for an everyday carry, anyone know any site/deals? im not finding shit, just major retailers $375-$400 sorry for being lazy and thanx again

I got mine from best buy (I work there), with an 8gb class 4 sd card and best buys 2 year protection/service plan. without my discount allt hat would come out to a little below $500, worth every dollar