The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Well, the fancy Japanese denim uses indigo to dye the fabric. Be it synthetic or natural, indigo is far less colorfast than other blue synthetic dyes.

My girlfriend has a pair of what amounts to about the same jeans, and if you look at the color, it doesn't look like its all indigo, theres some other blue color in fabric, which I would assume to be some other sort of blue dye which is probably far more colorfast than indigo alone.

how many wears/washes on these? and what do you do in them? great work. soonami's 660s are grail, no question.

I was actually going to say that exact same thing :cool:

Anyways' date=' here's a quick shot of my N&F Weird Guys Vintage Blue Selvage in a 28. Excuse the creepy basement pic!

[img']http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/Ndrisk/NF1.jpg[/img]

These have been my work jeans for about 3 months, washed twice, in need of another wash pronto

Well, the fancy Japanese denim uses indigo to dye the fabric. Be it synthetic or natural, indigo is far less colorfast than other blue synthetic dyes.

My girlfriend has a pair of what amounts to about the same jeans, and if you look at the color, it doesn't look like its all indigo, theres some other blue color in fabric, which I would assume to be some other sort of blue dye which is probably far more colorfast than indigo alone.

I see...You might be right about them mixing synthetic indigo with other synthetic blue dyes to improve colorfastness...but on the contrary, each dye maker has their own standards for what they classify as "indigo"..they also produce what they call "indigo" dyes in a variety of shades....so it's hard to say.

But yeah, most Japanese denim manufacturers use only 100% synthetic indigo to dye their denims....albeit of better quality than denim dyed in other parts of the world (for the most part - there are exceptions) Natural indigo is rarely used these days...even in Japanese denim.

and to top that off sukumo (natural indigo) doen't necessarily fade 'better' than synthetic indigo. how the jean is worn ultimately determines the fade, although some are well known to fade better than others....

The "pure" indigo that some brands advertise with is just them saying that the jeans aren't mixed with another colour.

When you do mix the most common outcome will be the jeans that has red cast or green cast.

Never heard of a mix with other blue dyes than indigo.

edwined55graniteautolig.jpg

probably a dumb question meant for small questions thread, but while its on my mind, where does one get "real" japanese edwins in USA? i'd definitely like to cop a pair, but only a few stores sell them, and i fear they are euro edwins. or whatever they are..

how many wears/washes on these? and what do you do in them? great work. soonami's 660s are grail, no question.

Two washes, Three months of work wear (5 days a week, 8 hours per day). I'm working as a summer labourer and it is my job to clean up playgrounds which involves alot of picking weeds. The fade in the coin pocket is from a marble that was given to me by a 2 year old kid who desperately wanted to help.

I haven't posted my 501's for a while. They were worn a lot and machine washed like 6 or 7 times and handwashed twice maybe?

They haven't been getting much love lately since I'm living in my flatheads, and they're kind of big on me now. Maybe I'll do a super hot wash to make them fit better.

img7937c.jpg

img7941x.jpg

probably a dumb question meant for small questions thread, but while its on my mind, where does one get "real" japanese edwins in USA? i'd definitely like to cop a pair, but only a few stores sell them, and i fear they are euro edwins. or whatever they are..

My ED-55s are 'euro'. As are most Edwin's nowadays these are Tunisian production as opposed to Japanese (Even the Nashville now). As far as I'm aware the only Edwin's that are Japanese production are Sen's, Win RV's, and the Rebel Vintage collection.

All the ED's are Tunisian production (Rainbow Selvedge ED-47 is Japanese denim assembled in Tunisia).

gotta rep klue for that last post. but i can't. i see bunga's evisus have those little fade lines that i was talking about. we gotta come up with a name for these...

i see bunga's evisus have those little fade lines that i was talking about. we gotta come up with a name for these...

i think these are from the washing machine, i call them crickels

i think these are from the washing machine, i call them crickels

i like the name, but they don't always come from the washer, cause i don't ever machine wash...and they always show up where the creases are not @...but i kinda like''crinkles'' better (crease+wrinkle=crinkle).

Crosspost from LVC thread:

Here's an update on my LVC 1947's, 2-2.5 months

Lap fades

That dot on the right leg was from some tapioca I got in life plaza when I visited southern california. It's since gone

1947-1.JPG

Crotch repair from Denim Doctors.

1947-2.JPG

The patch ages beautifully For the texture, think of the used leather on a major league baseball

1947-3.JPG