The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Evisu Lot 2001 in No.1 denim, after over a year's non-continuous wear. Like most of my jeans, these got worn to death for around three months and then worn when they suited me...

The patch is STILL in ok shape, started to crack a while ago but still holding on:

dscf3610.jpg

The fades on the front just get better and better in my opinion, these are always going to be a winning pair of jeans with me:

dscf3598.jpg

dscf3602.jpg

dscf3607.jpg

what does an ocean watch do for color and shit?

^The principle of osmosis. Water can only take up so much "matter" before it becomes saturated with respect to that type of matter. This goes for sodium chloride salt and indigo molecules. The idea is that salty seawater is already a concentrated solution (not saturated though) and so will be able to solvate fewer indigo molecules.

Of course, this is a highly over-simplified explanation of the chemistry involved. In my opinion, an ocean wash would be have a minimal effect on indigo retention compared to a regular water wash, since we are talking about such insignificant quantities of indigo any.

ocean watches dont do anything for your jeans

They make them stink a lot faster.

and they make the ride home pretty shitty, even if you rinse off. it should be called an ocean soak, since you really have no choice but to wash once you get home.

here's a picture of my skulls, then another picture a month later, after an ocean wash.

before-

frontemh.jpg

after-

frontrrl.jpg

i didn't really do any of that "rub sand all over yourself and rinse then do it again" stuff, i just flopped into the water for a bit, and that's all. i was over it as soon as i got out of the car. hot as shit.

what does an ocean watch do for color and shit?

In contrast to what switch said, I think the salt actually keeps the jeans from smelling as bad because the dried salt in the jeans acts like an anti-microbial preventing bacteria and other bugs that cause stink from proliferating. For the same reason, salt is used as a preservative in food storage because it keeps the organisms that would spoil food from living

As for color, I can't say it'll do anything. I ocean washed my SUFU660 just for fun, but I don't have a control to which to compare it too. My guess would be that if anything were to happen, the salt would facilitate the oxidation of the indigo dye causing it to take on a yellow/green tint.

My guess would be that if anything were to happen, the salt would facilitate the oxidation of the indigo dye causing it to take on a yellow/green tint.

Blue indigo is the already oxidised dimer. The yellow/green colour you mention is the reduced form (indoxyl) that is used for enhancing solubility of the dye in solution. As soon as it is exposed to air (oxygen), the dye turns blue.

Neither sodium, nor chloride, are oxidising agents. And in fact, what you describe would require a reducing reagent (again, not sodium ion or chloride).