The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

klue - your pair has a really unique almost black-greyish tone, was the denim originally like that, or perhaps effects from the ocean washes? on the evisus, i rarely ever wash my denim using the washing machine, if ever

salaami - over here we like to call them "roots" as they do look a little bit like treeroots but crinkles sounds good too! they only seem to pop up on certain denim only (notice it pops up a lot on 70s and 80s Levi's - even normal 501s) though and are much harder to get thanhoneycombs/lapfades. Check it out here again

Picture143-1.jpg

Picture144-1.jpg

The subtlety on this pair is really great, you really have to see and touch it in person to get an idea.

pomata - sanforized denim seems to really have that extra super leg twist, there was an explanation somewhere but i forgot what it is. anyone care to give me a refresher?

pomata - sanforized denim seems to really have that extra super leg twist, there was an explanation somewhere but i forgot what it is. anyone care to give me a refresher?

I think Unsanforized denim tends to have more leg twist. I believe its caused by the denim not shrinking an even amount in all places when soaked or washed. which causes the twisting of the fabric

I think Unsanforized denim tends to have more leg twist. I believe its caused by the denim not shrinking an even amount in all places when soaked or washed. which causes the twisting of the fabric

you're right - that's what 20 hours of non-stop work does to you, everything becomes a jumble :P

Leg twist is caused by the diagonal nature of denim's twill, combined significant shrinkage found in unsanforized denim.

For this reason, brands like Wrangler introduced a broken twill denim. The zig zag in the twill eliminated leg twist by evening out the pressure when the fabric shrank

and if i'm correct most Levi's denim are right hand twill while Lee uses left hand twill. That's the direction when the denim is going through the weaving process you basically force the weave to be straight and perpendicular to the selvage but at the same time you give it this direction during the construction.

hence when you wash the fabric, it'll naturally follow the direction of the weave and pull/shrink in that direction, which gives us leg twists.

i think.

On the left - Nudie Super Slim Kims - Almost 2.5 years old, about 18 months of wear

On the right - SExI04 - About 18 months of wear pre-wash.

Sorry about the shitty pics. I'll take post-wash pics with my D40 so the quality isn't terrible.

3727911012_92113c5aca.jpg

3727911362_90dd07181c.jpg

3727911638_e18ceb7ce9.jpg

3727912462_162688d3ce.jpg

3727110531_1832d7e2cc.jpg

3727913524_8cd93347e6.jpg

idk whats up with sufu I didnt mean to post post that and it wont let me edit it... here the other pics

FULLCOUNT 1310 (black), almost 8 months, just after the 3rd wash i think

fc0709back.jpg

fc0709hem.jpg

those are in direct sunlight and kind of washed out looking, so heres indoor w flash for comparison

fc0709frontindoorjpg.jpg

bunga, did you coke wash those?? that color is pretty cool

no coke wash on these, i find that a lot of denim particularly Levi's and Lee will take on a yellowish hue if left unwashed for a long time, it's probably the residue from dust and sweat that makes the denim take on that kind of shade.

Grail overload the last 2 pages!! Can't rep all but someone should..

damn, i ran out of rep. bunga, pooplush(we gotta get up soon), farmer, FFF, everybody great work. these last few pages were worth the crash.