The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

My apc rescue jortz

i couldnt stand the stanky anymore so i washed them.

pre:

3703858798_3bcd1e549e.jpg

3703858972_33534ac732.jpg

post - not a whole lot different with the flash on..

3703859182_2a60ebc71a.jpg

3703859446_8c8fd8bbc5.jpg

i'll take natural light pictures sometime soon..

Blue indigo is the already oxidised dimer. The yellow/green colour you mention is the reduced form (indoxyl) that is used for enhancing solubility of the dye in solution. As soon as it is exposed to air (oxygen), the dye turns blue.

Neither sodium, nor chloride, are oxidising agents. And in fact, what you describe would require a reducing reagent (again, not sodium ion or chloride).

^^I know that only reduced Indigo precursors are soluble in water and must be oxidized in order to dimerize and thus make the highly conjugated indigo dye.

And although neither sodium or chloride ion are oxidizing agents, they can help facilitate the transfer of elections in a redox rxn by the ultimate redox agent: water.

Furthermore, you don't know what other compounds are in the jeans. Some people will wear jeans for months without washing which leads to an accumulation of chemicals from perspiration, pollution, w/e. Any of these compounds can cause a non-canonical chemical rxn with indigo other than the simple redox reaction that you suggested.

I do not pretend to know everything or that the oxidation or reduction could be caused by a seawater wash, more likely yellowing is cause by staining from the insufficient washing of oils and other junk from your shedding skin and sweat. What I said was that if something were to happen in a warm, oxygenated, high salt, aqueous environment, and perhaps even with a dry in sun, might be oxidation.

My guess would be that if anything were to happen, the salt would facilitate the oxidation of the indigo dye causing it to take on a yellow/green tint.

give rep to angela, not too many shorties go anywhere near hard on denim( no pun). an ocean wash sounds novel @first, but in the end, its just nasty...

Pretty much the only reason i did an ocean wash was a) drunkeness and B) trying to re-create swimming in clothes from primary school swimming lessons.

That said, the salt really did stiffen up the denim a fair amount. I'm not sure whether having that much salt content next to your skin is to good though?

took pics of my apc cure...

worn approx 7-8 months, 4 washes, bought nearly 2 years ago. loads of shit happened to me while wearing those.

img4488c.jpg

img4489m.jpg

Like getting run over by the machine that paints lines on the road.

I was actually going to say that exact same thing :cool:

Anyways, here's a quick shot of my N&F Weird Guys Vintage Blue Selvage in a 28. Excuse the creepy basement pic!

NF1.jpg

These have been my work jeans for about 3 months, washed twice, in need of another wash pronto

My SUFU660, x-post from the Warehouse thread:

3705541497_b2624b9cca.jpg

3706354088_be98d376be.jpg

3706356714_917679d0d4.jpg

3706355452_bbe2cec10d.jpg

3705544183_f45f1d7f93.jpg

3706351470_2de188a15a.jpg

Funny how the 660's have almost the same fading pattern as my RRL's:

3705541497_b2624b9cca.jpg3706348714_2a3aa1481b.jpg

A pair of vintage LEE's I thrifted. Not much information about these, but thought they looked really cool for $3.50:

3706347350_857dd74f7e.jpg

3705537179_cc982ae165.jpg?v=0

sorry for double posting, but i was ironing stuff and saw my little sis' h&m sqin raw denim. it's not like she cared about denim nor knew it would give this results, but i find it cool. she seems to have retired them now because she has a pair of acne raw that looks quite new.

coutless amount of washes, owned for more than 2 years, worn a lot.

img4500a.jpg

img4501i.jpg