japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

going to be there from the 6th-13th of may. if your meal at ryugin happens to be sometime before my trip to tokyo, i'd definitely be interested in your thoughts and impressions of the meal. still figuring out where I want to go for sushi

Edited by shirokon

Posted · Hidden by shirokon, April 10, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by shirokon, April 10, 2012 - No reason given

if your meal at ryugin happens to be sometime before my trip to tokyo, i'd definitely be interested in your thoughts and impressions of the meal

that list is dope, these guys have a lot of friends and good stories to tell, if they're good peoples they host well, I feel like that list probably gets you into situations like that if you tell them such and such sent you. I talk to this old guy who has gone everywhere to do sushi since the 70's with the masters, cooked French, etc, he has some hilarious stories.

Yeah the chef from my local place asked me what part of Kyushu my wife is from and he pulled out a business card of sushiya 3 blocks from her parents house ran by a guy he trained with who also trained at Mizutani.

Edited by DaBestSpoona

I'll be there at the end of April. When i was doing some sushi research for my trip, based on what I found, sushi saito was at the top of my list, but I couldn't get a reservation. If I were you, that's the place I'd call ASAP. Mizutanis lunch menu is slightly over 18k yen, jiro roppongi is 20k(heard bad things too), saito has an insanely value for money lunch menu(below 10k iirc), which is why it fills up so quickly. Other names that were thrown out were kyubey, and Sawada. I was also told about Daisan Harumi that apparently tops all the Michelin rated sushi joints except Saito on tabelog

Here's an official article regarding the accident:

http://www.yomiuri.c...-OYT1T00449.htm

looks like the alcohol spilled on the table, spreading the fire and catching the guys on fire.

so messed up.

I was drinking w/ him last Monday too :(

wow, this is quite unfortunate. note to self, no more flaming shots.

feeling that list of restaurants. thanks spoona.

while i definitely like the upscale sushi places, is it wrong that i love tskiji honten in shibuya so much? can never get enough maguro steaky when i:m in the area.

Speaking of Tokyo real estate: is this technically a "1LDK?"

http://www.japan-sir...?taxonomy=areas

lol, understatement of the century - why would they call it 'Minamiazabu5 1LDK' rather than '$20m Hiroo penthouse' ? Ken corp would've done the latter. The Japanese version page says the furniture and art aren't included. Pretty expensive if that's accurate. There's a Harajuku 2LDK on that same site for 6-7m has a massive roof deck, and a nicer place. All that marble and wood is nice but not worth $15m.

Why do they call minami azabu property azabu "juban"? For marketing reasons really. Hiroo is more synonymous with foreign ex-pats families while this 1LDK-2LDK is clearly for the rich bachelor. Technically this residence IS in Minami-Azabu though.

Edited by djrajio

Yeah obviously, but Minamiazabuni clustered around Sendaizaka, the edges of Motoazabu, maybe the edge of Higashiazabu - they qualify as 'Juban' because there really aren't that many residential addresses in juban, and there's only one train station as a reference point. If it was in Minamiazabu-3 I think one would call it Tengenji, and if it was 5-chome like this place, I think people would be calling it Hiroo; if on a site in the Jap real estate game like Ken corp they'd definitely be playing it up as 'Hiroo' or 'Arisugawa penthouse' - Sotheby's is eminently more foreigner-centric than Ken corp too?

Anyway, I think the price is pretty out there - compared to other properties this penthouse is tailored for an extremely affluent childless Japanese couple who want an Asian luxury hotel as a house. It'd work for a bachelor, but I think it's not really ideal, a Tokyo bachelor pad with this many zeroes should have expansive in-house private parking for a car collection as well. $20 million on a bachelor pad and I'd expect at least 10 spots, maybe it's own parking level. If there were a realistic downside to this place besides the price, I think that the balance of the house design is slightly off - for example, the wine storage is kind of lacking at 150 bottles, only considering that the house has 1BR and two formal dining rooms, I think the logical connection between the two would've given way to a better wine storage solution... but then it has storage for 200 pairs of shoes. It's a couple's house.

This one is nice, location less elegant and the interior could be redone a bit more tastefully - but it's a third of that Hiroo place. Twelve million bucks saved would give you a bit of room for changing the wall colors and cabinet doors: http://www.japan-sir.jp/ja_jp/thing/archives/7877?taxonomy=areas&term=tokyo

Yeah dismal -- I like the building and the floors, but for that $$, the other finishings aren't impressive. None of the other spots on that site really seemed that attractive -- I guess that the much less expensive all-concrete thing in Oyama-cho is pretty cool. The variance in the 100-200 million yen range seems crazy massive, but perhaps I undervalue proximity to subway stops.

Or just fuck tokyo and go south, http://www.japan-sir.jp/ja_jp/thing/archives/6589?taxonomy=areas&term=yokohamakamakura

Edited by raddy

Are there any "good" real estate sites with a lot of stuff in Kamakura? (Or Tokyo/Yokohama I guess...) I've never found a navigable site for sifting through listings yet.

Also, I've only been in Kamakura during the daytime -- has anyone a sense for if you'd kill yourself after a month or two living down there? I think it could be awesome, but I dunno =\

Depends what you want. Are you looking to rent or buy? If you are thinking there will be some sort of young nightlife well you are wrong. Perhaps have a summer house in Shonan would be more appropriate?

Agree w/ you on the wearability aspect outside of Japland. It's amazing seeing guys rock full-on Phenomenon in Tokyo.

The contrast parkas are fucking sick.

But I think a lot of the S/S collection is wearable if you style it correctly.

This peak-a-boo lined trench.

And the elongated blazer.

This training jumper.

damn that shit is ugly

I'm looking for a club or a place with some techno parties, do you guys recommend anything?

btw. Bentobox, I went to velours just now and I saw your stickers next to the staircase leading to the club, some good promoting ;)

Ha, thanks man.

As for Techno, let me ask around. My first thought is to check out spots like Womb, Air, Eleven, and Sound Vision to see what they have coming through.