jaspar

Stevenson Overall Company

Shameless I know..... selling a pair of Stevenson 714’s in a w33 on eBay.  Hardly worn.

Hey guys, I'm going to be meeting up with Tagaya-san, co-founder of Stevenson Overall Co. next week (August 29th) to do an in-depth interview with him. If you guys have any questions you want answered I could probably work a few of them into the interview.  I'm working on a denim site that will be online in a few weeks and I'm starting out by interviewing a lot of the heavy-hitters in the denim world.  It's all just for fun; I won't be making money or advertising anything.

Anyway, if any of you SOC fans have any burning questions for Tagaya-san, let me know! :)

I think this is a great opportunity for many fans here to get some serious questions asked and answered besides the usual PR stuff.
Maybe you also post this in the Denim Blunders thread for more visibility? ;)

FW19 is up.

http://www.soc-la.com/collection.php?c=15

Lots to like, but too much overlap with what I already have, so I’m probably not going to get anything this season.  Really like the bomber and the deck jacket and would probably be all over them if I didn’t already have a top notch MA-1 (Buzz) and an N1 (IH).

I might talk myself into that sweater...

I'm into the khaki/tan Trigger shirt, I'm also looking forward to trying one of the raglan merino wool thermals that SE stocked last year.
I also like the Rancher jackets, but I think my girlfriend would kill me if I bought another denim jacket...

LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: THE ETHOS BEHIND STEVENSON OVERALL CO.: https://202nekko.com/lost-but-not-forgotten-the-ethos-behind-stevenson-overall-co/

Edited by kiya

Anyone have one of the Stevenson thermals that SE just got a restock of? Can’t decide on a color between navy, grey or khaki. 

I went with khaki last year and I’m going to get light gray. These things are the best.

@youngofthesoonest how warm are they in a scale of 1 to 10? Thinking it would be a nice base layer when it gets cool here. I’m really torn between all three colors. 

@Broark they’re pretty warm....I’d say it’s a good 7-8. It does have some breathability so i never feel overheated but when i was in ny last winter, it was perfect as a base layer under an over shirt and a jacket. I was worried I’d get too hot when i was inside at restaurants with the heat on but i felt pretty solid most of the time. It only came off after a few drinks but that was less temperature related. 

Thanks for the info, I think here I’d probably be able to get away with one and just a jacket most likely. Just have to decide on color now. :happy:

@Broark I got the dark grey thermal from SE last year, and pretty much a +1 for everything @youngofthesoonest says. Super soft and comfortable, surprisingly versatile across a range of temperatures.

If I wear it on its own, it’s fine for being in the office or generally around town, but starts feeling toasty if I’m somewhere much above 70 degrees for a while. Outside, I just wear that thermal and a denim jacket and I’m good down to 50 or so.

I sometimes wear a t-shirt underneath to help keep it clean, but even that minor extra layer makes the combination a bit too much for the indoors.

Has anyone noticed how their rear pockets where they fold over (interior of the pocket bottom) aren't cut very close to the stitching?  

I've only noticed this on one other pair.. a $35 pair of 501s.  In my opinion this is an overlooked detail most other brands do well.  For whatever reason my pair is missing that close cut.  

The consequence of course is that this extra material fades through.

Edited by givemefive

Here’s a quick update on my La Jolla’s 

36588D79-FF0A-4030-979B-2F946C525A6D.jpeg

F6F1C79F-DC60-4EEC-B4B5-E99969B908C5.jpeg

E06EF0AA-6C70-4797-A181-D6123218F53A.jpeg

6 hours ago, givemefive said:

Has anyone noticed how their rear pockets where they fold over (interior of the pocket bottom) aren't cut very close to the stitching?  

I've only noticed this on one other pair.. a $35 pair of 501s.  In my opinion this is an overlooked detail most other brands do well.  For whatever reason my pair is missing that close cut.  

The consequence of course is that this extra material fades through.

I have that on a few other brands/pairs as well. Sugar cane is the offender that comes to mind most easily.  

Shameless, selling a near new 'Beaver Fur' Revolver Shirt (medium) from 2015 on Grailed for a pretty good deal. Figured it would be good to go to someone in here since you all appreciate Stevenson. 

This pair of 220 Carmel jeans is really stunning.

I'm not usually a fast fader but these are coming in brilliantly.

I almost want to buy a few more pairs so I'll have a lifetime supply.

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

The Stevenson Carmel is a great cut for me and the denim has aged really nicely. I have about 4 months of wear on these with 6-7 washes. 

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

IMG_1733.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

Wearing denim has made me realize that I always cross my leg the same way - resulting in different fades on each knee...

I’ve been buying more items from Canvas since they now ship overseas. They stock Stevenson, but their shipping price is kind of high at $36 IMO.  

If someone would know where to get one, I am looking for a SOC Unionist shirt in indigo chambray. Clutch Cafe has one, but in XXL, which is way too big for me. I'd need a Large...

ADN3877_1344x1344.jpg

Could someone explain to me what goes into "black indigo" vs "indigo" in those coton sweaters? Is that the number of dips, the color of the underlying thread, the concentration of the dye vat,...?

Black indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1212

Indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1213

Thanks.

4 hours ago, JDelage said:

Could someone explain to me what goes into "black indigo" vs "indigo" in those coton sweaters? Is that the number of dips, the color of the underlying thread, the concentration of the dye vat,...?

Black indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1212

Indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1213

Thanks.

I have this shirt and it is definitely black and fading to grey, not a so-dark-blue-it-looks-black.  It doesn’t smell like rotten eggs, so it isn’t sulfur dyed.  It’s something that fades like indigo but is black and not blue.  Not sure how helpful this is in answering your question.  I, too, would love to know more about how it is done.

1 hour ago, owlofminerva said:

I have this shirt and it is definitely black and fading to grey, not a so-dark-blue-it-looks-black.  It doesn’t smell like rotten eggs, so it isn’t sulfur dyed.  It’s something that fades like indigo but is black and not blue.  Not sure how helpful this is in answering your question.  I, too, would love to know more about how it is done.

Thank you for that. I ordered a similar SOC sweater from Corlection available in "black indigo" and "indigo", and got mine in plain, boring-ol-indigo. It seems I did well. What you're describing sounds like India Black or Indigofera's gunpowder dye.