Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Really good fit and I think the best collab BIG has done. Love the patch. I sized down 1 on my 0701 and I still can't get the top button done up after a week. These things will stretch eventually though.

Or maybe not.

I learned the hard way (twice) about sizing down on 0701, especially with the high-tension weave denim on those which makes for a painful fit with very little stretch. Hate to say it, but unless you never wash/soak them, you'll probably give up on those like I did and size up one or even two...it'll be a painful break in.

Or maybe not.

I learned the hard way (twice) about sizing down on 0701, especially with the high-tension denim on those which makes for a painful fit with very little stretch. Hate to say it, but unless you never wash/soak them, you'll probably give up on those like I did and size up one or even two...it'll be a painful break in.

sizing down is doable. the trick is when you soak them, wear them at the same time so they won't shrink too much. in fact they will fit your body just nicely. wear them till they're dry. it's worth the effort.

sizing down is doable. the trick is when you soak them, wear them at the same time so they won't shrink too much. in fact they will fit your body just nicely. wear them till they're dry. it's worth the effort.

As long as you're willing to do that every time you soak or wash them.

WHy do people persist with this BS? That denim is made on perfectly fine, Japanese-made Toyoda looms.

I agree with you Paul. It is a big misconception that the looms in Japan are US looms. But, just for the record, it was not N&F who made that claim... It was Free/Man fashion blog who got the info from a confused retailer. Simple mistake.

On that note, I have toured many mills in Okayama and never seen any US looms. I've seen many Toyoda and other Japanese shuttle looms though that were amazing!

I am told that Toyoda used to make machines for the textile industry and for the automobile industry as well. They had/have a nice investment in Toyota and have long since stopped producing any machines for the textile trade.

Here is one I photographed in October...

toyoda_loom.JPG?psid=1

It's worth pointing out that Toyoda shuttle looms were some of the most advanced in the world from the 20s onwards - so much so that they were produced in Europe, under licence.They look very different from US Draper looms but have the same, reassuringly chunky, heavy look to them. It was the success of their looms that gave Toyoda the money to invest in developing motor vehicles.

THanks for the photo... is that a 50 or 60 inch loom?

It's worth pointing out that Toyoda shuttle looms were some of the most advanced in the world from the 20s onwards - so much so that they were produced in Europe, under licence.They look very different from US Draper looms but have the same, reassuringly chunky, heavy look to them. It was the success of their looms that gave Toyoda the money to invest in developing motor vehicles.

THanks for the photo... is that a 50 or 60 inch loom?

I believe this one was weaving selvedge chambray 44in wide goods. But I'm not sure which model loom this one was or its size.

I've also seen many Sakamoto looms... I'm sure I have photos somewhere. I wonder if this is related to the famous Sakamoto dyeing factory which I have been to as well. But that wouldn't really make sense to me because they don't do any weaving... just dyeing.

good fit m1stral... what's the denim like compared to the vintage label/going to battle denim?

As far as the Going To Battle denim is concerned, I have no experience conserning those.

But the denim from the Copper Label is somewhat different than the Vintage Label.

Copper Label has been one washed using essences of Seto Seawater, to make the denim absorb tons of minerals. So due to this one wash, the denim feels softer than a pair of soaked Vintage Label jeans. Also the Copper Label is different in weight (14.7 oz in comparison to 15.7 oz) and hase a lighter base color to start with. The denim itself is made of cotton that they also use in some of their dress shirts.

Taavi from NDH told me that the Copper Label jeans fade faster and in a more natural way than the Vintage Label series does, but I'll just have to see that for myself. He has a pair posted on the NDH blog that turned out really nice.

does neone know what kind of thread momo uses, specifically on their back pockets? ive made four too many repairs to my back pockets. is it full cotton, cotton/poly blend etc
I think Momotaro uses cotton threads. no blends or poly stuff.

I'm not positive, but I think the stitching is a poly/cotton blend. 100% cotton thread is a lot weaker and Momo stitching doesn't seem to fall apart very quickly (based on the evo pics I've seen).

I could be wrong, though- I often am.:)

Hi,

I've read every page in this thread and it really made me wanna get a pair of these. Still want some suggestions from you guys tho.

Which size should I go with between 29 and 30 on 0705SP? I use size chart from momotaro website and it measures size 29 to 77cm and size 30 to 79.5cm... my waist is 81 cm. (I'm gonna get it from rakuten store cos it's the best price for me living in Thailand. :D The store also got the same size chart)

I think i'll be able to fit in size29...roughly, imo. What do you guys say?

its not like you are gonna soak them and go thru all the "hassle" every day or every week, is it!?

Well, it depends on the level of discomfort you can tolerate, dunnit? Unlike many other jeans I've made size mistakes on, Momotaros are damn painful.

Plus, I rotate about six pair right now and soak or wash at least twice a year. With that math, if it takes one week to get each pair back to a comfortable state, then that's a minimum of 12 weeks a year of discomfort. And tight =/= better fades.

what would they be closest to inline with other momotaro's?

0701/0705 is correct as per Nordic and BiG. Except these are 14.7oz sanforized, so break-in behavior will be different.

Hi,

I've read every page in this thread and it really made me wanna get a pair of these. Still want some suggestions from you guys tho.

Which size should I go with between 29 and 30 on 0705SP?

I think i'll be able to fit in size29...roughly, imo. What do you guys say?

Those are one wash if I'm not mistaken. I would go with the size 30, since the denim on Momo's is tight weave. They won't stretch much.

It's true - suggest true to size or size up one on this cut and denim.