SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

in terms of durability, which pair will last longer, texas cotton or the cotton used in the s710?

i dont wear my jeans hard, just for casual wear

donkeykong123,

S710 is 19oz and as far as I know, Texas cotton produces only 15oz denim.

I have been using S710 since last year and half and it is pretty strong. I recently started wearing S0500XX, which is Texas cotton 15oz denim.

Just by looking at the weight, I think, S710 will last longer than Texas cotton; but in my opinion, Texas cotton denim is better feeling and looking denim and has better fading characteristics.

ThePhantom

i measure where i wear them, whats the point in measureing round your belly button when you aren't going to wear them there.. it makes just as little sense to me as measuring your neck size and trying to go from that.
"Take a pair of your jeans that fits tight around your waist, button them all the way up, lay them flat on the ground, measure the waistband, double the number, take that number and subtract one number from it, that is your size in Japanese denim." - kiya

that's what i was looking for

thanks guys

hey i have a pair of samurai 0500's in size 32 and i really like the fit, but i'm looking for something just a tiny bit slimmer too. i've been looking into

warehouse 660s

studio d'artisan sd103's

skull s5010xx

i can't find any of those in stock in the us yet, so does anyone have any other recommendations?

I'm looking to get a pair of 19cm MIJ raw Dior jeans. Right now I have sz 29 NCs that fit me perfectly. Should I get sz 29 in Diors too?
^^ nope, get a size 30 -31 diors cuz apcs are vanity sized ( your 29's are actually 31's).

Diors are vanity sized as well, 29 is a 31. I would recommend getting the same size in the 19cm as your new cures.

1. does hairyness go hand in hand with slubbiness ?

No, you can have hairy denim that isn't slubby (eg. sugarcane's 100% cotton denim) and vice versa (eg. certain "streaky" denim).

2. how does slubbiness affect actual fading properties ?

They're not really related as slubbiness is a product of the spinning/weaving process, whereas fading is effected by the dying process and the dye itself.

1. does hairyness go hand in hand with slubbiness ?

2. how does slubbiness affect actual fading properties ?

1. No. Hairy denim is just a result of the denim not being singed (basically burnt) in production, leaving extra fibers on the cotton. It has no bearing on the indigo or the weave, just the cotton itself.

2. In my experience they fade like normal jeans to be honest. The slubbiness sort of goes away every wash, but usually remains visible for the most part.

Edit: Oops was late to the party...

All the grey denim jean brands out at the moment?

I know APC has one and also Diors but can't find where to get a pair and details on it.

Anybody have any info about those 2 brands or any others I will very much appreciate it.

Nudie, Nom de Guerre, Wing and Horns, Uniqlo, Rag and Bone, J Lindeburg, and Crate all have gray jeans.

As for the yellow/greenish hue, that comes from wear on certain jeans. I don't think it would be possible to replicate that well, but, you can try soaking with dissolved paint, tea, or a few other substances. Trying to re-dye by yourself will not work out well, especially if you are trying this on a worn-in pair of denim. Firstly, the denim will not really crease, and the dye may wear off in a strange manner. I personally think that's its a good idea to keep this kind of stuff to the denim producers and mills, get a new pair of denim.

2 part Questions:

How Do I get a yellow sheen on faded denim, left on dirt/oils?

Is there a simple way to re-dye my jeans? will the fading process be the same?

1) It would help if you habe a pic or example of the kind of yellow sheen you're talking about. Some jeans have an unbleached weft which will give a dirtier, more brown/yellowish fade. Leftfield has a limited edition tweed denim for BiG that has kind of a yellow sheen.

2) Obviously most jeans have a dyed warp and undyed weft, so it's impossible to re-dye those back to the original because you can't just re-dye the warp without dying the weft. You could do an overdye which could result in a nice fading process depending on the dye, but the fading process will not be the same...

Stupid question:

im giving my flatheads their first "wash" (not the first time theyre seeing water, i gave them 3 separate boiling hot water soaks to get all the shrinking out the way)

I was curious to know will soaking my jeans make them hairy again?

stupid question number 2:

i feel like im giving my jeans a premature wash even though ive been wearing them for 4 months+, should i still use detergent or just soak them in water?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic