Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

I love Neds Atomic Dustbin SOOOOOOO much. Grey Cell Green blew my young teenage mind.

kill-your-television-bumper-sticker_LRG.gif

dkatz - there were no subcultures back then, just hair, guitars, feedback and DMs. Oh and the Neds had two drummers.

Blasphemy! Neds had two BASSISTS!

I spent quite a few years following PWEI around the world, i even flew out to Birmingham then London for their reunion gigs about seven years ago. The firm that designed their identity in the early 90's was the one thats influenced me more than any band or designer, they were called The Designers Republic. They started in Sheffield in the mid-80's and shut down about five years ago.

my favorite thing about pwei is that their name is an anagram for "little pail of spew" (bonus: the wonder stuff -> the town duffers)

the neds were sort of a big deal in the weird "alternative rock" explosion in the US circa 89-91. i mean weird because the following bands had radio hits fueled by 120 minutes (MTV show):

the neds (happy, grey cell green, kill yr tv)

something happens (parachute)

an emotional fish (celebrate)

the la's (ok this was legit)

the farm (groovy train, all together now)

lush (sweetness and light)

blur (there's no other way)

can u dig it?

ps - glad to hear SENY is ok... andrew - we're ok, thanks.... close call with a tree grazing our house and now resting on our power service line (which has held up, remarkably)

Edited by readytoignite

hey guys,

wonder if Kiya or anyone on here can help me out.

I'm searching for a replacement for my RJB 66BSPBK (s 30). bought them over 3 years ago.. BEST denim i've EVER worn. Ive had them repaired once by the team at Self Edge.. but they're slowly dying and its time for a new pair.

Anyone know anything of a similar cut? Preferably something black or any color but blue denim.

These jeans are an amazing cut for me as im skinny and super tall.

any help would be much appreciated.

I'm making a trip to SF at the end of the month. cant wait to visit SESF again!

my favorite thing about pwei is that their name is an anagram for "little pail of spew" (bonus: the wonder stuff -> the town duffers)

Yeah, but that was on accident.. The name Pop Will Eat Itself was actually based off an NME writeup on Jamie Wednesday in the mid-80's, saying how pop music is merely a regurgitation of itself, hence pop eating itself. I made a yoyo earlier this year using the same back story called the YWET, Yoyos Will Eat Themselves.

hey guys,

wonder if Kiya or anyone on here can help me out.

I'm searching for a replacement for my RJB 66BSPBK (s 30). bought them over 3 years ago.. BEST denim i've EVER worn. Ive had them repaired once by the team at Self Edge.. but they're slowly dying and its time for a new pair.

Anyone know anything of a similar cut? Preferably something black or any color but blue denim.

These jeans are an amazing cut for me as im skinny and super tall.

any help would be much appreciated.

I'm making a trip to SF at the end of the month. cant wait to visit SESF again!

If you've got your heart set on another pair of blacks again, take a look at these two:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=969

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=771

Self Edge New York Update & Iron Heart Pop-Up

After spending the entire week closed due to the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Self Edge New York will be open again for regular hours starting today. We wish the best to those affected by this disaster and for a speedy recovery to the strong and resilient people of New York City (and surrounding areas).

Due to the SENY Iron Heart pop-up being cut short we have extended the pop-up at SENY until November 7th. During this time we can still take phone orders for any items which are only available at SENY during these next few days. Come by the shop and see the goods.

WTF happened here, a minor discussion about the Stourbridge Indie scene circa 1990 just ballooned. Makes me nostalgic for yesteryear :D

On the marketing side of things, I think the UK band from around that time who marketed better than anyone else was James, everyone walked around in those tee's with "come" on the front, and "home" on the back.

The Stone Roses did really well with John Squires rip offs of Jackson Pollock too.

Hey Kiya or anyone at SE

I have the 3sixteen+ 11BSP in size 31. They're pretty close to perfect fit. Would the Roy RS04 be something that would fit me well? And if so, which size would you recommend? Thanks in advance

I would get a 32 in the RS04, they shrink quite a bit more than the 11BSP denim does and they run a bit smaller in the waist.

Thanks Kiya. So would those shrink down to something similar to the 3sixteens, or would they be considerably baggier?

They will be a hair baggier in the leg, you have to remember that Roy's denim shrinks a massive amount, the initial fit isn't a good representation of what it'll fit like after a hot soak.

On the marketing side of things, I think the UK band from around that time who marketed better than anyone else was James, everyone walked around in those tee's with "come" on the front, and "home" on the back.

The Stone Roses did really well with John Squires rip offs of Jackson Pollock too.

to be fair, the stone roses made one of the greatest albums ever recorded... so i'd say they were successful despite shit lyrics like "there she looks like a painting / jackson pollock's #5"

the band from manchester that i thought really blagged it were the charlatans, selling t-shirts before they had a record out and only one halfway decent song at the end of the day!

Where do I post this stuff -- IH thread or here?

So I've been looking for my first denim jacket for years now. Finally pulled the trigger on last year's IHxSE overdyed jacket, To my dismay they were too short and had to return them. I held on to that store credit like Cio Cio San held out for Pinkerton despite all the good shit coming in and out of Self Edge that tempted to me to go whoring with. Well when they released that Final Jacket as part of their pop up shop I took those credits and bought it the first day. Damn you people mail things fast!

IHfinaljacketfront.jpg

IHfinaljacketinside.jpg

IHfinaljacketlabel.jpg

ihfinaljacketclose.jpg

It was the first raw denim jacket I ever bought so I got to wearing it right away....

....because it is essentially bulletproof. I feel like I"m wearing armor. The buttoning together and apart tears at my fingertips and nails. For two weeks now I've been walking day and night with blue finger tips. I should have taken pictures. And the pain and soreness of my fingertips at forcing those buttons through those hard slits and the blood that comes from under my nails ....oy it was a lot to deal with. The first week was decent enough but then fucking Hurricane Sandy came made me homeless for a week. For 2 days since loosing power Monday night my bf and I weathered it out at home in the dark, with no heat, no water, no electricity, no internet connection. I had this baby wrapped around me to keep my warm during the nights reading by candlelight. After 2 day I said enough of this shit and and made plans to stay uptown with a friend. I grabbed whatI little clothes I could...included my new Final Jacket. Didnt have it off me 24 hours a day for 4 days as we alternated sleeping on a friend's floor and then running around all over the city from cafe to cafe, trying to find reception, camping out at the museums restaurants and movie theatres. This spanking new jacket got more work put in it this past week with Sandy than it probably would have gotten all year. In just a matter of days, some wear is appearing in the sleeves already:

IHfinaljacketsleeve.jpg

sorry for the harsh white-out but i had to take it with the light hitting it like that to see the wear breaking out.

IHfinaljacket.png

And today finally, everything is slowly turning back to normalcy. You can see the overall fit. I preferred the slimmer of waist of the Overdyes from last season but can't quite complain with this one. I'm so glad I got it.