Belafonte Ragtime Clothing

Posted (edited)

This is a thread to share opinions and information about the Japanese brand Belafonte (or Belafonte ragtime clothing). I couldn’t find any other thread about the brand, and I think the brand is quite interesting and deserves its own thread.  

This is their website

Instagram

The brand style is mostly inspired by early 20th century workwear, but I don’t think they do strict reproductions. 

You can quite easily order from them either via email or via Instagram account of Tom (which is also the model in their pictures) who has perfect English. They ship worldwide as far as I know.  

Personally I currently own 1 item from them and have another one on the way. The main reason I decided open this thread (first one for me, so sorry if it’s not too good) is that I can’t really find a lot of info or history about the brand. I did find this little quote from the Clutch Cafe website: 

Belafonte was started in 2012 by Noboru Tanaka, a designer from Tokyo, for more than 20 Years. Mr Tanaka's vision with Belafonte is to create clothing that matches his own personal vision and something that he, himself, would wear. In order to do this, production can become a little expensive, but as a small independent brand by doing this they ensure the greatest quality product for their customers. For each season, half a year is spent researching and evaluating what kind of clothing would be produced during the time period Mr Tanaka takes his primary inspiration from. Belafonte don't like to make like for like replicas of vintage goods but rather take the best part of a vintage design and apply their own vision and touch to try and make something that’s uniquely appealing to their customers. This freedom of design is something that Belafonte hold in the highest regard. “ 

Please, feel free to share your experience and products and anything Belafonte related. 

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

I think this brand has popped up in the ‘unknown’ brands thread - probably more deserving of this dedicated corner.

Clutch stock a little bit - they had more but it doesn’t look like they’ve restocked https://clutch-cafe.com/collections/belafonte

Similar with EastWest Apparel https://eastwestapparel.co.uk/shop/browse/brand/belafonte-ragtime-clothing/

I quite like the look of their Hammeralls denim

Here in the US, Brogue stocks Belafonte. I was able to visit Brogue a few weeks ago and it was great being able to handle the clothes - Belafonte is a brand I’ve checked out on numerous occasions through the Brogue site, but haven’t seen too much of online otherwise… I particularly like the Ragtime 1890 Aged Canvas trousers, but not sure I’d be able to pull them off - they are quite wide. The other pieces Brogue had were also very intriguing. The fabrics are all quite nice, and the general aesthetic is unique.

@AlientoyWorkmachine as far as the hi back trousers go the fit is wide but not balloon - like. Everything is much more proportional than other wide jeans I’ve owned. It’s a high rise with sewed in buttons (including inside suspender buttons), I wouldn’t say it’s a MUST tuck in, but for me at least shirts get a weird bump around my belly button, if I don’t tuck, since that’s where the rise reaches. 

@Duke Mantee yes I agree. I think it’s the same fabric they use on their 30s jeans, but maybe I’m wrong.  In general I find their fabrics to be quite interesting. Kinda wish I lived in a wool- appropriate climate so that I could try their wool trousers and cardigans. 

@tooth those look really good. I don’t know if you tried them on yourself or but keep in mind that the model on their website usually wears everything extremely oversized. They look much more “normal” when worn in regular sizing  

@Hopethisoneisnttaken that's been my hang up. I am not a shirt tuck in sort of guy. I can do short in length pullovers/sweatshirts and jackets, but tucking in...haven't been able to find comfort in it. I'll do it when the situation calls for it, but in my life that's fairly rare. I may revisit come winter because wool was what I thought about.