MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a smart choice in subject matter for the patch (though I don't think there was an ill intent behind it). They could have picked any other number of cartoon caricatures for the patch that wouldn't be considered racist or stereotypical, and would have been keeping with the era.  

As for the "anti-war" defense of the season, I completely missed that intent.  

I think the article is pretty well written, actually. Of course, the point could have been made without the sucker punches at Cristophe, but as a whole I think it's completely valid to discount the reproduction of obviously racially degrading patches and messages, especially when there didn't seem to be any effort put into explaining its satirical motives when initially promoting the collection.

Yeah, I think that the multiple implications that christophe was racist or stupid, were stupid.

Maybe it's because I know he works with sugar cane (completely japanese), his wife is asian, he's done relief stuff for japan, the title of the collection is fucking SAIGON COWBOY, and that patch is so out-of-this-world comical and ridiculous, but I don't think that the patch was wrongfully done.

Then again, bloggers that have probably never owned a mister freedom item in their life surely know better than I, and act as the voices of all who have been insulted by insensitive clothing design from such ignorant men as Christophe.

And what's with the part about how he's not "sophisticated enough" to tell the difference between japanese and vietnamese people?  He just mentioned that he'd done a relief effort for asian countries, he's not saying they're the fucking same.  

By the way, I've sold most of my mister freedom stuff, so definitely not a fanboy.  Just annoyed by this shit.

I don't really get what your problem is here. Why do people need to approve a racially insensitive cartoon just because it's obviously over the top to you? No matter what you think about the patch, you don't get to define what other people find offensive.

(Disclaimer, I'm not trying to be more Catholic than the Pope here. But seriously, if someone made a clothing line featuring racist caricatures of black people, it wouldn't matter how many black friends that designer has, people would be rightfully pissed about it. I don't really see why it should be ok in any other case.)

I don't care if anyone approves of it or not, but he should've kept it to the patch, instead of making condescending remarks about the creator.  

But who decided to put the patch on the jacket? I think if MF decides to sell something inflammatory, they should expect some flames. 

Edited by Iron Horse

Hey Ben, check Rakuten--there are a couple of modified N-1s (if that's what you were referring to) left in size 38 if you do some digging.

edit: Never mind, we're talking about different jackets. But I'll leave this post up in case anyone else is interested!

Edited by chicote

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know, there is not much to see about MF clothes, but I actually wear the Gunslinger Jumper, one of the finest jackets ever made, wish I would wear it more often though...

the chambray is by Buzz Rickson.

photo is taken and edited by Axel Mosch, one fine photographer and fella.

besides the clothes, this is the best picture ever showing me, and I think it catches pretty well the spirit of the clothes, style and evening.

9fu436im.jpg

I know, there is not much to see about MF clothes, but I actually wear the Gunslinger Jumper, one of the finest jackets ever made, wish I would wear it more often though...

the chambray is by Buzz Rickson.

photo is taken and edited by Axel Mosch, one fine photographer and fella.

besides the clothes, this is the best picture ever showing me, and I think it catches pretty well the spirit of the clothes, style and evening.

9fu436im.jpg

The Picture is indeed perfect. Wish I would have been there.

what are the glasses @Blue Nemo?

Moscot Lemtosh @ThinFinn

@Max, yes it was a nice evening with lots of beer and nice chats, also, me playing bartender Again.......

Looks nice!
I've always thought about getting a pair of those, since I love all the details, especially those buttons.

The only thing I'm not much of a fan of is the leather pocket label, which I could easily change with a seam ripper.

But then again, I feel like I would be taking away from the jean...