Standard & Strange / Oakland CA / Info, Updates, Etc

mrsmiff

(Pardon the cross-posting from the Ooe Contest thread here):

Since we were already in Japan for the CC Show (clutch collection) we figured we should pop down and visit Ryo & Hiro as it’s only 90 minutes from Tokyo.  Towards the end of the day, I realized that they have the 43200G that we use in the shop for hemming, and I asked Hiro if I could have a go at it.

She made me practice on some cut-off pieces of legs until I was smooth on their machine, which was set up by Mr. Matsuoka (look him up.  Seriously.)

Once I greased the groove again, I borrowed the World Tour jeans to wear while I hemmed my pair of contest jeans on their 43200.  It was like butter, smoothest machine ever.   I kind of fudged the first hem, because I didn’t iron out the leg first, but after we pressed out the other leg, I nailed it.  I kept the fucked-up hem on my jeans as part of their story, rather than ripping it out and starting over.

Big lesson for the day - these machines can vary wildly in their feel based on who set them up, and how well maintained/tuned they are.  

Hiro taught me a better way to measure for the hem (mark off total off, then back off 2.4cm and mark again, rather than doing the math first):

SgEAMo8.jpg

In action:

cq6Zulj.jpg

The two hems. Top most is the first pass, without pressing; bottom is after pressing:

Mqu2P8z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

any update on the oldblueco restock?

I've put in the order, but do not have confirmation from Yax yet. I'll let you know as soon as they're ready to ship!

Also, we just kicked off our summer sale. There's a lot more in-store that's either too old to be in inventory, or that we didn't get around to putting online.

• 2 weeks later...

New stuff day at the shop!

First up, we've got two styles in from Pure Blue Japan - KS-013-WID and XX-011. We stock both in one-wash to make sizing easier for our customers.

The KS-013-WID is their slim taper fit in an all new, super slubby - they call it "knubby" - 16oz denim, with an indigo warp and weft.

fZLGCYk.jpg

Then we have a PBJ classic back again - the XX-011 in 13.5oz left hand twill. Here's a pair with 8 months of wear - notice how the left-hand twill leads to more vertical falling in the fades than usual.

7U7zZXS.jpg

The Hawley from Indigofera showed up as well. It's a western shirt cut in super-supple whiskey goat suede. This guy runs huuuugge in typical Indigofera fashion so size down one. 

5XNrvCi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

34075494-b743-429f-8661-3f8c4f3bef28.jpg237cd3df-c365-4231-a356-15802eb847a0.jpg

Every year, Denim Bruin brings some of the rarest, most interesting brands in denim from around the world to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ooe Yofukuten will be coming all the way from Ichinomiya, Japan just for the event; Indigofera, from Sweden; and Michael Masterson, from his secret headquarters on the moon.

Ooe Yofukuten will have Denim Bruin t-shirts knit and sewn in Ichinomiya (yes, knit right there) in collaboration with Mr. Matsuoka as part of their new brand M&O Mfg.

Sunday the 31st, we will be hosting the event at our shop in Oakland from 12-4pm. Cocktails from Rob of Workhorse Rye will be poured to go with all of the incredible work on display from our friends-in-denim.

It's always a good time, and we hope to see you there! If you can't make it out, check us out on Instagram and @standardstrange on Snapchat.

----------------------Full Schedule----------------------

Friday, July 29th at 1890 Bryant St. Studios, Studio 311 in San Franciscofrom 6-9pm

• Michael & Charla Harris present The Harris Collection
  • Levi's Vintage Clothing
  • Live work by Hollows Leather
  • Drinks by Workhorse Rye

Saturday, July 30th at AB Fits, 1519 Grant Avenue in San Francisco from 6-9pm

• C.O.F. Studio
  • Freenote Cloth
  • Michael Masterson
  • Dustin Offutt Design 
  • Mary James
  • Food & drink provided by Perbacco Restaurant

Sunday, July 31st at Standard & Strange, 5010 Telegraph Ave in Oakland from 12-4pm

• Indigofera
  • Ooe Yofukuten with Matsuoka Project
  • Warpath Leather Goods
  • Lady White Co
  • Live work by Tina Vines
  • Cocktails by Workhorse Rye

^Not to divert the thread, but I'd love to get one of the Ooe shirts...Wondering how much they cost and if you'd be willing to hold one? ;)

In the same boat as aho, I would love to buy one of the shirts!

I don't have pricing on the shirts - we're going to do them first-come-first-serve for the event on a special edition tee that's being made for this event.

However, if the base t-shirts are as awesome as everything else OA, I hope to stock the blanks.

Edited by mrsmiff

Look at these cool dead stock vintage felt letters... 

13696605_1784687941771280_92428599_n.jpg

Oooooooh!  OOOOOOOHHHH!!!!  OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I hope I see some of you folks out tomorrow at our shop for Denim Bruin!

34075494-b743-429f-8661-3f8c4f3bef28.jpg237cd3df-c365-4231-a356-15802eb847a0.jpg

Every year, Denim Bruin brings some of the rarest, most interesting brands in denim from around the world to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ooe Yofukuten will be coming all the way from Ichinomiya, Japan just for the event; Indigofera, from Sweden; and Michael Masterson, from his secret headquarters on the moon.

Ooe Yofukuten will have Denim Bruin t-shirts knit and sewn in Ichinomiya (yes, knit right there) in collaboration with Mr. Matsuoka as part of their new brand M&O Mfg.

Sunday the 31st, we will be hosting the event at our shop in Oakland from 12-4pm. Cocktails from Rob of Workhorse Rye will be poured to go with all of the incredible work on display from our friends-in-denim.

It's always a good time, and we hope to see you there! If you can't make it out, check us out on Instagram and @standardstrange on Snapchat.

----------------------Full Schedule----------------------

Friday, July 29th at 1890 Bryant St. Studios, Studio 311 in San Franciscofrom 6-9pm

• Michael & Charla Harris present The Harris Collection
  • Levi's Vintage Clothing
  • Live work by Hollows Leather
  • Drinks by Workhorse Rye

Saturday, July 30th at AB Fits, 1519 Grant Avenue in San Francisco from 6-9pm

• C.O.F. Studio
  • Freenote Cloth
  • Michael Masterson
  • Dustin Offutt Design 
  • Mary James
  • Food & drink provided by Perbacco Restaurant

Sunday, July 31st at Standard & Strange, 5010 Telegraph Ave in Oakland from 12-4pm

• Indigofera
  • Ooe Yofukuten with Matsuoka Project
  • Warpath Leather Goods
  • Lady White Co
  • Live work by Tina Vines
  • Cocktails by Workhorse Rye

Thanks to Jeremy, Neil, and the crew at Standard & Strange for hosting a great event today at the store in Oakland, California.  Here's a pic of Garden Gnomes, me, and the folks from Ooe Yofukuten (Hiro, Ryo, and Mr. Matsuoka).

Ryo%20and%20Hiro%207.31.16.jpg

Thanks to Jeremy, Neil, and the crew at Standard & Strange for hosting a great event today at the store in Oakland, California.  Here's a pic of Garden Gnomes, me, and the folks from Ooe Yofukuten (Hiro, Ryo, and Mr. Matsuoka).

Ryo%20and%20Hiro%207.31.16.jpg

Great to see you there, too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Rogue Territory FW16 just arrived. It's an incredibly strong collection, and response has been phenomenal. 

Based on vintage barn coats, the Rancher comes in a 11oz light indigo neppy 2x1 denim and a custom New England plaid.

The Hunter shirt returns in tan/navy plaid, and gets an update in maroon/navy plaid and an olive neppy flannel.

That same neppy flannel shows up in black in a western cut, and in dark navy blue for the return of the Jumper. The workshirt comes back again, but in their exclusive 11oz black Stealth denim for the first time.

All-new rinsed copper canvas is sewn up in the SK (slim tapered)Stanton (slim straight) and Officer Trouser (slim tapered) fits.

00b0a94c-00ab-4103-b5aa-210ced307e06.jpg     9d43204a-754f-4c40-8b3d-459da3bb0194.jpg   47ff8d0f-4dc0-41c9-9ed7-bc0ba880f9c7.jpg   97072ed8-5d38-4f90-b006-57a7620426d3.jpg  

f6b88230-2a37-43af-a3c3-0a2640959395.jpg   4b2c8dbc-e915-4dbe-9448-2973f92a28ad.jpg   af2f18a1-6f2c-41b4-8560-2c9aef7a2b63.jpg   1842a608-b526-411d-b483-ee6d74775531.jpg   9691e656-5f02-4ef3-84a5-66eb5d95baa3.jpg   ab5e3361-a802-4b53-921f-40834e827e21.jpg

A little later this week, we'll have our 1st PAT-RN FW16 collection online. There's not a lot of hype around what Cris and Silvia do yet, but it is some of the best we have ever seen, in any category. Everything is made in Italy from mostly - with the exception of the two pieces cut from Japanese selvedge chino cloth - Italian fabrics. 

They run on two themes - International Trad, mashing up the best of American Trad and Italian tailoring to produce timeless classics; and Advanced Workwear, applying Italian tailoring to workwear staples - chinos, chore coats, etc. The common ground is all excellent inputs and soft, comfortable tailoring. 

Here's a teaser - both pieces are in Japanese yarn-dyed selvedge chino cloth, and the undershirt is a Real McCoy's N-1 (also in stock now).

vdpaPhw.jpg

THE NEW OA X S&S HAVE ARRIVED!

Ooe Yofukuten is the most special brand we sell - every pair made start to finish by Ryo and Hiro. Their OA02 fit remains our favorite fit of denim, and for this release we went with their new patent-pending Time Machine treatment which ages the denim to resemble deadstock. The base denim is the same OAXX as the last release, but with 50 years of aging on them, to honor the era that the 02 fit derives from. The treatment gives a dryer hand and a greener cast, and truly looks like a pair that was found in the backroom of a defunct menswear shop from the 1960s.

The longer inseam and deeper pockets carry over from the last release as well, and we're doing free chainstitch hems with every pair.

Check the size chart carefully. They do stretch to actual tag size with wear - my 35's measure 35, my 36's 36, and Neil's 34, measure an actual 34. 

rrjeqp8.jpg

H0Uw6Lm.jpg

QmYhuEY.jpg

qBDkyez.jpg

q8JFWMp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to check out the shop today, and actually touch some Real McCoy's clothing.  So thank you for carrying them!
Picked up the awesome olive military thermal shirt.  Big ups to Brandon as well, for the in-store hospitality.  

• 2 weeks later...

Indigofera Fall-Winter 2016

Known for heavyweight flannels, great-fitting denim, and a strong Western vibe, Sweden's Indigofera has released their strongest fall line-up yet. To give you a good look at this collection, we shot a lookbook of the new styles out on the salt marshes in San Francisco Bay.

This fall sees the return of several of our favorite items from in new fabrics. The stalwart selvedge flannel Norris is back in a new indigo/brown colorway, and the Fargo shows up in a new heavyweight green selvedge twill.

In the western shirt department, the Dollard shows up in four styles -heavyweight black canvastwo tone red twillindigo selvedge chambray, and abeige check lightweight flannel.

For the skinnier guys out there, we have the new grey/black Walton flannel and the Copeland overshirt in Gunpowder black selvedge denim. Both of these pieces are in a new slimmer cut that Indigofera developed on our request.

Downstairs, the high-rise slim tapered Buck returns in the Gunpowder black selvedge denim, and we've brought in the slim-straight Ray in the same denimto round out our selection of fits.

Check out the Indigofera FW16 lookbook here.

edb063b1-e7de-486b-b776-6ef3f64a0967.jpg

c6f5b80b-1a00-4ba0-95a7-e735e896ead5.jpg

a26fb6a9-94b7-4c18-9b07-1121de9e2ced.jpg

f1298842-0716-4073-b286-a1344899bd42.jpg

16e3d412-b4ca-4278-9fe2-206236fd89eb.jpg

1c18d19e-1031-4dea-b5ee-58dee930dd46.jpg

820d65c1-f7b6-4f11-8ad3-b68b8110019a.jpg

a43a9556-a0b7-4c16-b36b-49ab4f4c0cb8.jpg

876608dd-87e2-4afa-9879-14d7527e1ca9.jpg

ac572801-a4a7-49a9-afed-a136ff165a13.jpg

Edited by mrsmiff

• 4 weeks later...

S&S X TRUMAN BOOT CO.

We are kicking off our partnership with Truman Boot Company with two exclusive makeups. Both are built in Boulder, Colorado at Truman's factory.

Truman uses a modified double stitchdown construction, based on the way logging boots are built in the Pacific Northwest. This time-tested method leads to durable, long-lasting boots that only get better and better with age.

The first make-up is in Amaretto horse rump with the toe cap and heel counter flipped and waxed to expose the inner beauty of this leather. This sits on a natural leather midsole and a black Dainite outsole.

For the second make-up, we flipped Truman's Iceberg Kudu inside out for a rough-out plain-toe boot, also sitting on a natural midsole and black Dainite outsole.

Both make-ups are available for pre-order now. If you have any questions on sizing, fit, or details, don't hesitate to reach out to us via email or our contact form.

Orders close on November 14th, 2016, and we're limited to 12 pairs of each leather for this initial run.

SAVE THE DATE: Truman Trunk Show

November 12th, 2016

Vince Romano, the founder of Truman, and his crew will be at our shop from 11am til 7pm on Saturday, November 12th to talk footwear, manufacturing, and, of course, help you get fitted for your next pair. Come join us for an evening and meet the folks who make each and every pair of Truman boots.

d1f43884-31e6-4b23-ae00-0b976b6a04b2.jpg   3972e038-d300-4ffb-8faf-9355e4d64d4d.jpg

e23b5dc7-8d2b-4e31-9dc2-afe28219b021.jpg e2badcbb-c18d-4078-9859-3797def64a07.jpg   a10050c0-2118-4b2d-8948-ca0d0c70293b.jpg   279c3676-3f39-4e4a-925d-614599a9b8b9.jpg

Oh - and some updates from the road in Japan. We have a ton of cool stuff planned with Ooe Yofukuten, sourced some fabrics for new projects, and I have had a weird highball with nearly every meal.

Best place to follow along is our official instagram here, and you can find me being an idiot over here.  We're both putting a lot of content on our IG stories, so don't miss out on those.