TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

Just a question since there isn't a proper thread for TCB, but the site that was posted up by the OP was it to get a count on who would join this contest? I'm actually interested in the 60's cut and I noticed its an option. Also is it an order form or do they have it in stock?

Never heard of the brand.  The pictured pair looks great but I do agree with setterman about the rise.  Looking at the twist, I wonder how much that rise would shrink in larger sizes.

Just a question since there isn't a proper thread for TCB, but the site that was posted up by the OP was it to get a count on who would join this contest? I'm actually interested in the 60's cut and I noticed its an option. Also is it an order form or do they have it in stock?

That's the standard product page of the website. You could order either via that page or via email. I ordered via email in the past and it was fine.

@volvo: didn't Inoue adjusted his jacket sizing for you?

well then, he maybe can adjust the 50s cut with a longer rise for those who need it (jyoni, setterman)? But maybe that is too much and would require a whole new pattern...but asking won't hurt

well then, he maybe can adjust the 50s cut with a longer rise for those who need it (jyoni, setterman)? But maybe that is too much and would require a whole new pattern...but asking won't hurt

I had a pair and the rise was way to low for me, especially after a soak because they shrunk a lot.

The denim is really nice though.

not exactly. he just made me the jacket in a size 42, which wasn't available before I requested it. I just gave him the p2p measurement and he did the maths.

I'd suggest that whoever is interested in a longer rise version should get in touch with Aho who is coordinating the contest, he could try to ask to Hajime then and we will see what happens.

I'd like to join but for now am on the fence.

I've been interested in participating in a contest, the denim looks great, the price is right, and the measurements for size 32 are right up my alley, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for a new pair of jeans in July. Plus I've really been looking forward to a pair of warehouse or fullcount later in the year and if I did this that dream would need to wait another year.

It's going to require roughly an inch more rise on the size 36 and 38 to get them where they should be for a 50s 501 style jean, and I'd assume that would mean new patterns because the hip and waist will need reshaped.  I'm not committed enough to ask them to remake their patterns.  

my best fitting jeans is around 87 cm in waist, which size should i go for? please kindly give me some advice. thanks!

hi there, I have no experience yet with the 50's cut, but the other stuff I bought from TCB fits true to size.

I am around a 35/36 inch waist and I got the 60's model in a size 36. waist was 35.5 post soak, and now after one year and 4 washes it's 36,5.

I've asked to Inoue yesterday if I should size down for the 50's cut (being the Zimbabwe cotton known to be quite prone to stretching with wear) and he said absolutely not, so I will stick with size 36.

If I were you I'd definitely go for a W34, assuming all the other measurements except the waist are fine for your body type. the waist will stretch a little with wear.

hi there, I have no experience yet with the 50's cut, but the other stuff I bought from TCB fits true to size.

I am around a 35/36 inch waist and I got the 60's model in a size 36. waist was 35.5 post soak, and now after one year and 4 washes it's 36,5.

I've asked to Inoue yesterday if I should size down for the 50's cut (being the Zimbabwe cotton known to be quite prone to stretching with wear) and he said absolutely not, so I will stick with size 36.

If I were you I'd definitely go for a W34, assuming all the other measurements except the waist are fine for your body type. the waist will stretch a little with wear.

thank you very much for your advice volvo! what puzzles me is, i actually tried a pair of raw 50's (size 34) in a shop here in hong kong, but i could hardly put them on :S. so i thought size 36 might suit me, but the size table in the first post shows the post soak measurements which the waist is around 91 cm :blink: :blink: :blink:

Very true Maynard. Based on the size chart, I would take a size 30 but I tried a raw pair on yesterday at Goldyard in Hong Kong and they were already snug pre-wash.

Planetarium - You should definitely take your same size in the 50s as your SC 1947. On my legs the thighs feel like a fuller cut than the Canes and more akin to my Warehouse 1001XX. The TCB denim is very impressive I must say.

thank you very much for your advice volvo! what puzzles me is, i actually tried a pair of raw 50's (size 34) in a shop here in hong kong, but i could hardly put them on :S. so i thought size 36 might suit me, but the size table in the first post shows the post soak measurements which the waist is around 91 cm :blink: :blink: :blink:

well If you had a chance to try a pair in the flesh then it's different. Maynard's no-nonsense advice makes more sense then.

I am +/- 36 inches waist, I'll go for W36 and it will work for f**k sake!

Very true Maynard. Based on the size chart, I would take a size 30 but I tried a raw pair on yesterday at Goldyard in Hong Kong and they were already snug pre-wash.

Planetarium - You should definitely take your same size in the 50s as your SC 1947. On my legs the thighs feel like a fuller cut than the Canes and more akin to my Warehouse 1001XX. The TCB denim is very impressive I must say.

hi maynard. i tried them at Goldyard as well. i forgot to ask for the price but i reckon Goldyard should mark up the price by a great amount, right?

I'm not Maynard (sadly!) but yes, the price at Goldyard is really cheap. HKD 1068 if remember correctly.

oops sorry, that was a typo, sugar mountain lol. so it's actually cheaper than the price quoted on the TCB official website, how come !? considering the shop is located in Central, maybe Goldyard ordered stock by stock at some discount i suppose.

so did you manage to get one from Goldyard? It's a pity that they don't have sizes larger than 34'  :(

Edited by tchengaa

I would like to get a pair, but don't really care to commit to a contest. May I purchase without intending to post pictures or wear them to "win"? The denim looks beautiful and the cut will definitely work for me.

I would like to get a pair, but don't really care to commit to a contest. May I purchase without intending to post pictures or wear them to "win"? The denim looks beautiful and the cut will definitely work for me.

Then maybe just buy a pair directly from TCB? What's the point of buying a contest pair if you're not joining the contest?

Fair point. There's something appealing about the exclusivity of the contest version of a jean. I will also follow the contest and enjoy watching the contest updates. Having the pair from the contest deepens the connection to it even if I'm not participating through pictures, etc. It's not that I don't want to contribute, I just know I will likely not pull my weight with updates and want to be honest about that up front. Not sure if that will make sense to anyone else, but that's my reasoning.

That's exactly why I've never entered any of the contests even though I would have liked and worn the jeans. Participation via regular photo updates is a key aspect of the contest ethos and keeping the thread going and if you can't commit to that, then you shouldn't join. I think that's fair.

Thanks for the interest everyone! Hajime is really excited for this as well and I think it'll be one of the best yet as far as fades. I'll have the list updated shortly, it's been hectic for me lately given that I'm homeless at the moment (another story...)

I think the pictures speak for themselves though; this denim can look amazing in a short amount of time and I can't wait to start breaking a pair in. I'll ask if a higher rise is possible for kicks. At such a low price (relatively to other jeans), I think the barriers to join are pretty nill and hopefully we can get even more people interested!

FWIW, the contest will be for the 50's cut ONLY; sorry, can't use the 60's pair for the contest!

Edited by aho

Aho - is there any word on how TCB measure the waist on their jeans? Further to my earlier post about trying on the size 30, I'm led to believe that the method is not the BIG-style that we're used to. Might help avoid sizing issues for people if this is made clear.