superconfessional

A girl who I liked in high school and who I thought I might like to date because she had a sense of humor, was always quite fashunz, and is majoring in design just mentioned that she loves the movie Shooter on Facebook and I realized how huge a turn off it is for me when people genuinely like movies that are just bad.

damn, no hate but she probably thinks you're some boring elitist prick fuck type. (not saying that you are)

If there is to be one last bastion of cultural elitism, let it be Sufu.

who cares

who cares

who cares

who cares

who cares

who cares

Do people think that Terminator 2 is a bad movie? I often hear it referred to as one of the better action movies made, and certainly the best of the Terminators.

my favorite movie of all time is terminator 2: judgement day

i'm not ashamed of that at all

who cares

I think more people care than you would imagine. Sure, my story rightfully indites me as a pretentious ass in some ways, but I grew up with an English major for a mother. I've been reading voraciously since I learned to read and at the age of 21 I've read, heard, or seen enough stories that I think distinguishing between those of worth and those that are hollow is an option. And I would hope that people I choose to be close to would be able to as well.

I don't like to see people I admire for one reason or another deciding that a product designed by an to increase adrenaline is deserving of their public praise. I don't to watch people be deceived by industries who have done research, concocted formulaic plots, and chosen actors to maximize profit. The story of the movie industry is far more interesting than a great deal of the movies created today because it is a story that, despite being told time and time again in history, bears repeating:

The beauty that humanity has created is never safe from its own greed.

Television and film have explored the glories and the follies of our past, present, and future. They have inspired audiences to continue with their daily lives because they want to find the perfect slices of life that have seen before them. Maybe they won't ever find them, but they live on and work so that perhaps their children might.

They often hold up a mirror to ourselves that is often uncomfortable to look into. Take Zero Dark Thirty. Taken as an art piece, as it should be, it made every American citizen who stayed for the duration ponder the lengths to which they would be willing to go for a sense of safety after having it shattered in a way that is not healing. Any discerning Christian who saw the film had to take a close look at whether they believed in utilitarianism or whether they truly believed in the strict moral code of the bible.

Take another film this year: Silver Linings Playbook. America has long stigmatized those who suffer with mental health issues and this film addressed the matter in a way that was honest and rarely came off heavy handed. It tells the love story of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence who both play characters that have mental health issues. Robert De Niro's performance as the father of Bradley Cooper makes this movie so much more powerful because he manages to subtly make it more and more apparent that there is a family history of mental health issues. This family history of mental health issues is exactly what makes it so hard for their sons and daughters to even know that something is wrong and they need help.

Both of these movies I like to see discussed, because there is reason for discussion. But Shooter? Fuck me.

Movies should make you stop and think about why you live the way you do and why other people live the way they do. They should make you think about our species and the world we have created. It should make you question at what cost the world around you comes at, and what actions you should take in the future to shape this world. If a movie does this well, it sells itself. People recommend it to each other because they can't stop thinking about it; they want to discuss it with others.

The only time where making art to make money makes sense to me is when you live in poverty or a dangerous area, which comes up a lot in rap. To live comfortably and to have money be the sole motivation for your art is not sustainable for an artist or their fans.

Long-winded as per usual, but I care. This is one attempt at why.

Movies should make you stop and think about why you live the way you do and why other people live the way they do. They should make you think about our species and the world we have created. It should make you question at what cost the world around you comes at, and what actions you should take in the future to shape this world. If a movie does this well, it sells itself. People recommend it to each other because they can't stop thinking about it; they want to discuss it with others.

Some people just watch movies for escape and to take a break from their shitty, boring or difficult lives. How about the lady who works 80 hours a week for her family, and just wants to enjoy some hours off? Or the cancer patient who's watching movies to take his mind away from the omnipresent pain?

If we all had the time to analyze each and every movie we watched and reflect on our own lives, that would be ideal, I agree. But some people watch movies just for the escapism, and you have to realize and respect that.

ps all the jackie chan movies are awesome.

I definitely appreciate the advice being given here, but it seems quite possible I am explaining myself poorly.

Timber, you probably hit on the base issue, which is that I don't want to seem uncultured. Growing up I was pretty damn sheltered and embarrassed myself more than once in front of my peers that I still don't look back on and find myself able to laugh about easily. Here's what I thought was the survivor theme song in grade school:

Having even my teachers laughing at me for my ignorance was not a feeling I enjoyed (though clearly this is a better song. I already knew what was up).

In regards to people's bad movies they like that I have seen: again, I have enjoyed all of these movies. I love kung fu movies, so Kung Pow of course struck a cord for me. Jackie Chan is someone who I find genuinely funny and good God the fact that he did all his own stunts still terrifies me when you look at the stunts he has done.

Its not that I can't enjoy movies/activities that critics/others have deemed "bad." It really isn't. I generally don't give a fuck about what other people think. It just stops you from having fun. Watched Gossip Girl because I liked the clothing and there was nobody around me who gave clothing a second thought. Watched a shit ton of anime in high school no one cared about. Saw Perks of Being a Wallflower four times in theaters because it was essentially a chance to relive high school where there was a group of friends that cared about me rather than tolerated me (plus Emma Watson).

I've fixated on Shooter because I've never seen something this tremendously awful in my eyes praised almost universally by so many people I'd like to understand. I won't continue to list reasons this movie is bad, there truly are too many to count, but as long as movies like this one remain popular its one less thing I have that I can talk with other people about and connect with other people on because it makes me unhappy to even think about what the monetary reward is for making a movie like Shooter compared to making a movie like Blue Valentine. And as long as it remains that way the independent theaters will continue to close down and be bought up to show movies like Shooter.

At this point its a societal issue and a personal issue for me. Its rare that I feel a sense of belonging without intentionally corralling my thoughts, even within my own family. So its hard to see evidence surrounding me that tells me that I don't get the day to day mindset of most people and I probably won't. From what I have seen, I don't want to. It just gets lonely sometimes.

I went to student health for a cough and they make you take this mental health survey. The doctor eventually walks in and goes "so your cough will go away, but you're depressed. have you been talking to anyone about it?" "no."

Kind of a punch in the gut. I guess I suspected it but didn't think it was like...depression. Then she referred me to a nurse who specializes in mental health, who then pretty much urged me to go to our CAPS, which is notoriously overbooked. A few hours later it all kind of hit me. I was walking on campus and came closer to crying than i have in a very long time.

Edited by xerrox

damn had to google this... didn't know this was a thing.

this could only result in beautiful babies

anybody need a niece or a nephew? pm me. will trade beautiful babies for your sisters and copious amounts of jawnz.

Edited by dovo