Show us your leather

aleopold

• 2 weeks later...

And, new briefcase from Kaehler in Horween Dublin (their English Tan color) from my wife for (early) Christmas. This bag is astoundingly cool in person. Really looking forward to seeing how this breaks in. Everything about this bag is extremely well done. The leather is just gorgeous. It's hard to capture it in a photo, but the color is insane. Dublin is a full-grain cowhide treated with the same processes as shell cordovan with extra waxing at the end, and since it's cowhide, it's thicker and has more grain. Because of the huge amount of waxing, the pull-up is out of this world. It's going to get more intense with wear, which is pretty damn cool. The construction feels really, really sturdy. Every detail, from the super heavy-duty zipper, to the laptop compartment leather/metal knob enclosure, to the metal feet, to the reinforced stitching seems super well thought out and built to last.

23324618119_91321554aa_b.jpg

23610093321_7a20a8c8d5_b.jpg

23692525995_0e54f58b85_b.jpg

23324618099_0d8bfcdaa3_b.jpg

23064263844_128ce928ab_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Albatross postal bag came in today from their Kickstarter campaign.  The bag is of outstanding quality.  The construction is very top-notch.  The leather is sturdy in places it should be sturdy and supple in places it needs to bend.  I'm thrilled with it.  For $200 it can't be beat.  I'd expect to pay upwards of $500 for it.  I'm that impressed.  Oddly enough the piece I'm most impressed by on the bag is the handle.  Its commonly made with the folded leather with a strip in the center but it is extremely well done here.

JjDFEuL.jpgCBwNaJZ.jpg?1YePhESf.jpgfctrtys.jpg?1

• 2 months later...

Got this Kawatako Ashura wallet off of yahoo japan. Its pretty insane, high quality, and i think bridle leather. I cannot for the life of my find a product page for this, I've spent probably 3 hours going through rakuten/kawatako webpages trying to find it. All i can determine is that its the kawatako ashura model of wallet 

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kawatakokinsei/item/10000290/

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kawatako/item/kt-ko-asr-ndv/

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kawatakokinsei/item/10000330/

^ this one's stitching looks horrid in the product pic....

Anyways, 

PAslXqV.jpg

CANYxDF.jpg

5YyAOlu.jpg

8i3qVaV.jpg

wVjhkDM.jpg

T6wunGg.jpg

5DHSRPi.jpg

0xIcYKD.jpg

oEguS4V.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of the brand Pailot River? They are produced by Keiichiro Goto, so are related to the popular Red Moon brand.

I saw an awesome wallet that I am thinking of buying, and it is a lot of money (33k yen) for a saddle leather wallet. Now for that much, I would usually want shell cordovan quality leather. So I was just wondering if the quality of their saddle leather is very high that it would be worth that price.

Has anyone heard of the brand Pailot River? They are produced by Keiichiro Goto, so are related to the popular Red Moon brand.

I saw an awesome wallet that I am thinking of buying, and it is a lot of money (33k yen) for a saddle leather wallet. Now for that much, I would usually want shell cordovan quality leather. So I was just wondering if the quality of their saddle leather is very high that it would be worth that price.

It's all subjective, but I think most of Red Moon's products are overpriced for what you get.

I've said it before here, but check out Tim Leathers; he'll make any kind of wallet (or other leather item) that you want, in Cordovan/CXL/UK Bridle etc for the price range you're looking at:

http://tim-leathers.blogspot.tw/

He speaks English well, so communication is easy.

Edited by Iron Horse

His work looks very nice.

I've been dreaming up a mid length wallet with vertical card slots, similar to some Flat Head wallets and one from Hollows I've seen.

But none of them really have exactly what I'm looking for. Well the Hollows one was just about perfect, but it's long gone.

Might reach out to him sometime and see what happens.

Obbi goods label wallets have vertical slots, great quality and no wear near the ridiculous price of redmoon.

They also use a variety of leathers on a range of wallets so a good selection to choose from.

Edited by Geeman

Thanks guys, I will drop Tim an email  :)

I did come across Obbi goods, their shell cordovan bifold wallets do not have a coin pouch. I did also find Ashdown Workshop based in UK, who make nice stuff, but again their chromexcel and shell cordovan wallets lack a coin pouch. I have sent them an email enquiring if they will be making one in the future.

Although my Flat Head wallets were fancier and had more elaborate designs, I still think my Redmoon long wallet was all around the best one I've ever owned - but their stuff is very expensive. Although other brands use fancier stitching and design details like lining on the rough side of the leather, Redmoon's saddle leather is very unique and ages very well if you take good care of it.

Tim Leathers looks really nice! I need to check that out.

Edited by Cold Summer

Thanks guys, I will drop Tim an email  :)

I did come across Obbi goods, their shell cordovan bifold wallets do not have a coin pouch. I did also find Ashdown Workshop based in UK, who make nice stuff, but again their chromexcel and shell cordovan wallets lack a coin pouch. I have sent them an email enquiring if they will be making one in the future.

Hi Niro, just tell obbi goods label on your requirements and they will fulfill it.

Hi Niro, just tell obbi goods label on your requirements and they will fulfill it.

Thanks Alvin, didn't know I could do that. Funnily enough, Ashdown Workshop got back to me yesterday evening offering to make me a custom wallet, so I will see if they have stock of the leather requirements. If not, then I will be contacting obbi goods =)

• 4 weeks later...

My wallet from Ashdown Workshop arrived today and it's awesome!  :D

Sean from Ashdown Workshop kindly offered to make me a custom order. It was basically their Chromexcel No.8 outer, veg-tan inner wallet, but with a coin pouch

dm7ina.jpg

25s8wzt.jpg

212z7zk.jpg

2evqi9t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This will soon become my wallet. :) 

26687948236_c087f7618b_b.jpg

Horween Shell Cordovan Color #2. Doing this on the exterior with a reverse shell interior. Had to wait 4 or 5 months for a single shell in color 2 to be ready to go. I really can't believe how little they make! Will post pictures in a month or so when i get it in.

• 2 months later...