Show us your leather

aleopold

13 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Don’t say ‘pretty’ … it might put off some prospective macho buyers :wink:      :laugh2:

Gahhhhh ;)

55 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

They look nice, but isn’t it a bit weird they don’t procure the leather?

They do offer sourcing services with a premium and a expanded delivery date, it’s only worth the trouble if you’re looking for some exotic hide though.

You can however send them any raw materials ranging form leather midsole outsole hardware etc, the rate in my case is a 25% discount.

• 4 weeks later...

Minimalist wallet from Hobo Japan just came in. 

No more bulky wallets. 

Coin pouch useful for car washes, tolls, and parking meters in the city.

9B8BD22F-C065-4CB8-813D-D97FE3BC0E23.jpeg

EDD8F9E5-A52F-44AE-AA1A-1AD4031AC337.jpeg

1800D1C2-EBA0-4806-92D7-3A7AE06003A0.jpeg

D123A45A-C00C-4DBD-A188-AF35318E4EDB.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

Old wallet that was retired by the wallet I recently posted above.

This was my first foray into quality leather goods.  Handmade by William at Hudson’s Hill in Greensboro in black Chromexcel when he had a booth of goods there, this wallet has been with me for over ten years through thick and thin.  I bought a leather wallet chain with it back then that has since been lost so I stuck to brass chains since then.

29B46D82-132C-4EA2-9860-EAF5653D9875.jpeg

D1DB916F-EB12-4802-9CA7-7881F50C5600.jpeg

085C4787-4E4F-4718-BCFF-29F8C28CBC92.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back from a few week-long motorcycle trip down the pacific coast to big sur. I’m waiting to develop some pics but will have them up later. In the meantime, here’s the carnage on my jacket:

IMG_8208.thumb.jpeg.4390fc05c840c099d7c5a55ffe473896.jpegIMG_8209.thumb.jpeg.647d88c660adc6236dd51f43ae561a7e.jpegIMG_8210.thumb.jpeg.986e8114beadac10fccdd048a1756480.jpeg

The left sleeve tore open suddenly somewhere on the Oregon coast - that’s my next project. On the first week down, the small coin pocket in front lost all its stitching and was held on by just the button; then the right pocket stitching deteriorated and the stress sadly tore the leather slightly at the pocket opening, which I’m gonna have to figure out how to fix (can you bar-tack leather?); then the left shoulder seam split about three inches across and got re-sewn on the road in central california. Those are the perils of riding a motorcycle in an 80-year-old jacket, I guess. I was using some old cotton thread we packed to do the stitching on the road but feel like something more durable is in order now that we’re home again. Any leather workers have any suggestions on a good (black) thread to use?

@chicote pretty much any thread sold by leather crafts shops will be fine. A lot depends on whether you are hand sewing or machine sewing; some threads are suitable for both but then you’ll need to be wise on your needle selection.

Hand sewing with linen thread is the traditional method. Fil Au Chinois, Barbour and MeiSi are all excellent. MeiSi can be used for both hand and machine sewing with no issues.

Personally I prefer to use MeiSi or Vinymo MBT bonded polyester thread made by Nagai Yoriito … glides through holes, pulls tight and doesn’t fur up. Again the Vinymo can be used on machines.

Edited by Duke Mantee

I had just enough front quarter horsehide left over to make a glasses case for the duchess. The leather is probably too soft, so I’ve reinforced it on the front inside with some Buttero leather, but she loves the colour and the fact the flesh side is buffed and sueded. Anyways …

IMG_1553.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

Another sunglasses case - this time for @srudy … I’m making a fancy ass tote bag from the mud cloth and the shrunken horse (I used on the little post bag) and I think I’m getting obsessed about not having any waste from a hide (or at least as little as possible so I’ve made this and some other small goods to add into the bag package

The great thing about these hides I used is the flesh side is sueded and soft as butter so absolutely ideal for things like glasses. And again I’ve stiffened up the snap side with some texon between two layers of the leather.

IMG_1580.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

Not clothing related but thought I’d post this to see if you internet sleuths can use your Google-fu skills to find the answer. 

I’m a baseball fan and play a lot of it with my son who’s in a 10U league. Anyway, I currently own 2 Rawlings Heart of the Hide gloves which are very good leather quality. Rawlings also sells a Pro Preferred glove which uses Kip leather. As such, I really enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into baseball gloves as well as the break in process. Wilson sells the A2000 and the A2K, both of which are similar to Rawlings HoH and Pro Preferred models. 

I’m bringing up the Wilson A2K glove because it’s made in Japan. Unfortunately, I can’t find any info on where in Japan they’re made and by whom. It’s like some trade secret that the Japanese seem to use frequently when manufacturing items for other companies. I’ve searched high and low and can’t find anything on who makes the A2K. I could reach out to Wilson directly but I doubt they’d give me specifics. Do any of you know who the manufacturer might be? Perhaps an established Japanese glove maker like Mizuno? 

22A8BBDA-0697-4E19-AD56-EB29D0040649.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The duchess wanted a new purse and she liked the long wallet style pattern I’d made … kinda. So a few changes, a wrist strap and chain added, she now has a purse/clutch that fits most iPhone models too

Badalassi Carlo ‘Pueblo’ in prugna cowhide shell, with Alran SAS ‘Sully’ goatskin in red, and 24k gold plate stainless steel hardware

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1874.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee