Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Since seeing some Alfred Sargents in the flesh last week, I noticed this post with some slightly customised versions of their Zug grain boots.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?93998-Alfred-Sargent-quot-Kelso-quot&p=1007866#post1007866

AS Culford in burgundy:

Culford1.jpg

AS special order in dark brown zug grain:

MTO1.jpg

pics courtesy clontonf on askandy

I previously thought of Sargent shoes as being slightly cruder than, say, Tricker's. But seeing them worn, they're very different - very much like, say, military boots you'd see from the 50s. ANd the zug grain is really attractive in the flesh.

As promised, here my new William Lennons Rufflander, worn today.

They are very light and comfortable. Not full grain leather and therefor more suited for milder temperatures that we are experiencing now in Barcelona.

Interesting sole which seem to be both sewn and nailed.

Switched the laces to round leather laces which go very well in tone with the outsole.

dsc_0135_358254.jpg

dsc_0136_82786.jpg

dsc_0137_139189.jpg

dsc_0138.jpg

dsc_0139.jpg

dsc_0142_566154.jpg

dsc_0143_751686.jpg

dsc_0144.jpg

dsc_0148_667442.jpg

dsc_0151_875104.jpg

Really happy with them!

^´@Denimjunky: Really nice WL´s!!! I´ve been looking at the William lennons for a while now but never pulled the trigger on them...

Enjoy! And I´ll post pics of my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots when they get here.

lovely, denimjunky!

I thought these were full grain? So, if not, what's the quality like?

The waxed tan looked full grain to me, they had that lovely translucent finish; WL told me that the Derby was the same quality leather, just a different finish. So would it be Top grain then?

Question for you White's SD/Bounty Hunter owners: how do you find the 5"/6" height of the boot, in terms of comfort? I read somewhere (Baker Shoe?) that they don't recommend the 6" height on the BH as it can be uncomfortable around the ankle. Most of my boots have a shaft around 6" and some are more uncomfortable than others. I suppose a rolled top would be more comfortable than a cut top too.
Standard trim.

I'm not sure if I get on with the 6 inch height... sometimes they feel a little uncomfortable.

Is it because of where the top hits your ankle? My Alden's tend to dig into the side of my right ankle and it's not uncommon for my ankle to be bleeding after a long day of walking in them. From the looks of it, it looks like your BH have the cut top; I wonder if a rolled top would solve that problem. I guess an 8" height would be ideal...

It's a shame that you're letting go of those. It was your pair of boots that sold me (although I've yet to buy a pair) on White's. I'm tempted, but I think I would need a 9.5E anyway (I'm a 9.5D or 9E on Alden Trubalance).

Here too. Missed last week though.

Anyone interested in a pair of White's bounty Hunters?

Smooth Brown leather, 9E, double leather sole, brass hardwear, unlined.

I'll let these go for £200

5190425774_efed913e84_z.jpg

damn my big feet! :(

I'm not sure if I get on with the 6 inch height... sometimes they feel a little uncomfortable.

You can't get much lower than 6", maybe 5" on an SD would help. Or maybe you're a shoes only guy.

It's a shame that you're letting go of those. It was your pair of boots that sold me.

Me too. At first I was eyeing some of ed's boots, then Fresco's pair put me over the top, and now I'm basically a White's addict. Especially considering all the time and problems he had getting that pair, shame. Buy this man's White's!! They are an amazing pair.

Here are some pics of my new boots that showed up today. After getting my Rough-Out Farmer/Ranchers off Ebay for such a good price I decided to look for another similar pair to beat up this winter. You can't beat scoring a pair of White's for $150 as your winter boots. So here they are after two coats of Obenaufs.

dsc3037h.jpg

First time I've ever had boots that were this high (8") and I have to say, they are surprisingly comfortable right out of the box.

dsc3038a.jpg

Here they are next to my Farmer/Ranchers...amazing what a couple coats of Obenaufs will do too rough out. Both are soft toe (evidently White's does that a lot with their rough out models from what I've seen on Ebay). The soft toe is quite comfortable and while I don't know that I would ever order a boot this way at full price, it's not a bad option, especially for the price I've gotten both of these pairs for.

dsc3039x.jpg

cant speak about the leather since i have no expertise in this area, but any thoughts on them so far?

how do you think they'll hold up against rain/snow?

the price definitely makes it an attractive option.

would it be possible to get fit pics? seriously considering getting a pair too

@postman: I like the looks very much. Really great looking boots.

I was happily surprised that they were all leather soles and not some thin rubber on top as I have seen in other pics.

Definitely not winter boots. Rain could work but snow? Hey Im from Sweden.

Ill try and get fitties during this week.