Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I made the horrible mistake of taking my 2 year old 2970s in to the closest Redwing store to have them resoled since the white wedge was worn to about nothing. I gave the old fart running the place 3 options out of their 1/2 page worth of resole options. Black nitril cork, brown cork or black wedge. Picked them up yesterday and they put plain old boring vibram soles and heel on. I wanted to go off on the old lady working there about givning three options and got something I didn't ask or OR want but it wasn't her fault. I'm so muthafucking pissed, but lesson learned. Now they just look like plain old boots. Ugh.

Send em back to Redwing with a note about what happened.

don't know if this is the right thread for this. these are recently purchased preowned alden ravellos wingtip boots. really beautiful but the thing is that the size is a good half size bigger than what I normally take, or my Indys 405. I can somehow make the sizing work with an insole, but don't want them to look too big and unproportional. what to you guys think? thanks in advance.

DSC_0076.jpg

They look good - if they don't fit, get rid of them...

my 20+ year old trickers have developed a small crack on the outer edge of the right foot, of course, right where the ball of the foot flexes.

i saw it this morning as i was putting them on, and slapped some obenhauf's on to try to stop it from getting worse.

are they shot? i get the feeling this is one of those "not worth fixing" things.

took a quick pic but can't upload it until later this evening.

trickerssplit.jpg

don't know if this is the right thread for this. these are recently purchased preowned alden ravellos wingtip boots. really beautiful but the thing is that the size is a good half size bigger than what I normally take, or my Indys 405. I can somehow make the sizing work with an insole, but don't want them to look too big and unproportional. what to you guys think? thanks in advance.

DSC_0076.jpg

They look good - if they don't fit, get rid of them...

They are now in the market if anyone is interested. Click my sig for link. thanks for all comments.

I just saw these while scouring the internet today:

f05ffd0bf66f117ae764cdb4263fd6092e79f6c4_m.jpg

I want them. I'm trying to identify them. The Aldens seafinch posted above look very similar, if not exactly the same but it's hard to tell with just close up shots. I saw the Wolverine 1000 mile, but the toe on these looks a little too boxy:

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Wolverine_1000_Mile_Boot_in_Brown_16987.html

Any help would be appreciated!

I want them. I'm trying to identify them. The Aldens seafinch posted above look very similar, if not exactly the same but it's hard to tell with just close up shots. I saw the Wolverine 1000 mile, but the toe on these looks a little too boxy:

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Wolverine_1000_Mile_Boot_in_Brown_16987.html

definitely not alden. not sure what those are

Goddamnit, I knew they would be something ridiculous on the wallet. Anything comparable with a reasonable price that I could grab?

You can get them direct from Dayton boots in Canada (they make them for wings+horns) for $400. They're not distressed, though. People have said it was a long and difficult process but I found it rather easy (maybe since I'm in Canada also). I'll post pics when I get my pair.

As halberdklown properly identified, these are the Service Boots made by Dayton Boots for Wings + Horns.

Once upon a time, I had a pair of these boots. Long story short, they are not worth the $700 they retail for. Wings + Horns shit all over me as a customer and I will never do business with them again.

On the other hand, Dayton is solid with friendly customer service. Their website shows a pretty limited selection, but they are very helpful over the phone. Despite the debacle with the aforementioned boots, I ended up buying another pair of boots from Dayton, which I posted here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2357474#post2357474

I don't know if Dayton will recreate the W+H boot for you (it seems they were crafted with a little extra attention), but they can probably set you up with something similar for a fraction of the price. Give them a call, they are really friendly and helpful.

just confirmed my custom order for trickers monkey boots, now comes the waiting game... :rolleyes:

A few days ago I polished up my Indy's with Meltonian London Tan and also gave them waxed laces.

IMG_1533-1.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

About 7 months (?) of wear on them and I haven't treated them at all so I decided to jump on Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing since Leffot seems to praise the brand. (Different lighting from different days...)

IMG_1647-1.jpg

Although the lighting sucks, you can see that the leather appears a bit darker on the right boot which has the dressing applied...Yes, I realize that I should've taken the laces off!

IMG_1657-1.jpg

IMG_1668-1.jpg

Drying now and plan to apply a second coat...Will post pictures of the results in a bit!

^I bought the laces from the Madison Alden shop in NYC when I was in town...They sell them for $6 (waxed as well as non-waxed) and I was told they could also ship them out if you call the shop...

Thanks! I'd rep you, but it appears I can't.

Very picture heavy post. My small collection of boots and shoes

Alden Indy Repro (Leathersoul Hawaii)

img0101wl.jpg

img0104lb.jpg

img0106i.jpg

Clarks Desert Boots - Beeswax Leather

img0122h.jpg

img0124x.jpg

img0125nt.jpg

APC Derby - Navy Suede (managed to get this last pair at half price... out of my price range for something like this otherwise)

img0118gf.jpg

img0120ye.jpg

img0121jns.jpg

Sorry that the quality of photos is so all over the place. Taken with a point and shoot.

Leather Soul Alden Contest winners are

BOOT #3 (WINNING BOOT ENTRY)

The Alpine Wingtip Boot by A. Cornett

Wingtip High Boot

Barrie Last

Brown Alpine Grain Calf

All Brass Eyelets

Reverse Welt, All Around

Antique Edgetrim

Commando Sole

$475.00

Stocked in sizes 6-11.5D.

LS Comments: “An American version of the country boot. Perfect with a tweed suit or with jeans and a flannel button down.”

SHOE #3 (WINNING SHOE ENTRY)

The Chromexcel LHS by M. Weinshenker

Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer

Van Last

Horween Brown Chromexcel

Regular Welt, All Around

Antique Edgetrim

Single Oiled Leather Flex Sole

$435.00

Stocked in sizes 6-12D.

LS Comments: “A simple but smart variation of one of Alden’s most popular shoes. The chromexcel leather matched with an oiled leather flex sole will make this a great, classic American penny loafer.”

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/10/10/alden-shoes-pre-order-19-alden-design-contest/#more-2671

kind of reliefed that I don´t wear loafers and don´t dig the brown grain calf...

Congrats, winners