Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Wolverine ad for shell horsehide. The 1000 miles look to have a similar shape to the boot in it.

wolverinead.jpg

Great advertisement rnr.

My bad. I thought they used to just use the hide.

I guess it shows how plentiful horse leather used to be, since the shells are so small relative to the hide. Its wild that they were using shell for the soles as well.

My view now is that the new wolverines are highly authentic, but at 700 bucks, still not for me. If they bring one out with shell soles as well, I may reconsider.:)

Thanks for the info guys.

anyone have any recommendations for rainboots? I was talking with a buddy and it seems like almost all guys rainboots are just ridiculous looking

Yep. Chelsea boots w/ rubber soles. No seams. I got some Italian made Barney's Co-op things that I did outdoor work in the mud in the NH mountains in the pouring rain with dry feet.

All I've needed to do is clean them w/ water and a brush and I would still wear them in dressy occasions.

Dudes in rubber boots = country/fields only.

Great advertisement rnr.

My bad. I thought they used to just use the hide.

I guess it shows how plentiful horse leather used to be, since the shells are so small relative to the hide. Its wild that they were using shell for the soles as well.

My view now is that the new wolverines are highly authentic, but at 700 bucks, still not for me. If they bring one out with shell soles as well, I may reconsider.:)

Thanks for the info guys.

The sad thing is that I have been looking at that ad for some time and just thinking that these are the ultimate boots. Everything in a boot I would want. Horsehide, low profile, short shaft, etc. But at $700 not gonna happen for me. I don't know maybe when Xmas comes around. If the ole Switch household gets a bonus, they may be in my future.

Wolverines have a nice profile, but that toe box...Yeesh.

No doubt gonna have to see these in person.

what is everybody on about with the toe box? is it really that bad? I think that i have a photo of them with my other boots, and i don't remember there being a huge difference

"click the pic for bigger"

th_0b4606bd-1.jpg

th_2531e989-1-1.jpg

by the way the black are still for sale

I definitely agree with you in theory, though (as I don't really know what the toe is like on that specific boot).

illumin8em: I just think the pointiness looks bad once the creases really start to settle. I mean, it's not completely horrible, but a dealbreaker for me.

The sad thing is that I have been looking at that ad for some time and just thinking that these are the ultimate boots. Everything in a boot I would want. Horsehide, low profile, short shaft, etc. But at $700 not gonna happen for me. I don't know maybe when Xmas comes around. If the ole Switch household gets a bonus, they may be in my future.

I've heard from Ryan at The Stronghold that Hypebeast got it wrong, and the price point is going to be in the $900 range, which for a pair of Allen Edmonds, seems like...hold on...am I the guy talking about a pair of boots not being worth $900 now? Ha!

Every time I see these in stores, I look at them again, hoping my memory of how much I hate the toebox is just exaggerated, and everytime I'm surprised by how much more I hate the shape of these boots than I remember. I was looking at the American made vs Chinese made 1000 miles in person last night, and with exception of the quality of the leather, I liked every about the Chinese boots better.

By the time I left the store, I was borderline raging about how asinine the most recent crop of "heritage" brands and rebrandings of old companies are. The place I was at also had the FlorsheimxDucky Brown "collaborations", which make me want to jump off a building for aesthetic and coneptual reasons. There is a monumental difference in my mind between products that just happen exist at the epicenter of a trend, and those products that exist exclusively because of one. Guess which ones will go away when they trend is over?

I don't think I could justify $900 for a pair of shell wolverines. For $600 I can get a pair of shell indys.

for 600 you can get a pair of lone wolf boots, for 950 you can mf road champs, buco's, various custom boots, custom wescos, custom whites, and too many other things that aren't shell, but are fantastic.

Lone wolfs are kinda ugly and Buco horsehides usually clock in at about $1200 after being shipped to the states.

A White's logger boot rejuvenation:

5092278532_d08ed74b2c_o.jpg

Ebay pic- got them for $60.00.

5092278610_69fb6f93b9_o.jpg

At home, with caked dirt brushed off.

5091680161_48ae7006cd_o.jpg

After a scrub with saddle-soap.

5091679979_270be5ca42_o.jpg

With new Vibram soles, mid-sole replaced as well, orthopedic brace and lace cover removed from left shoe.

5092278770_7fe36bd57a_o.jpg

Redying the uppers.

5091679807_2da6717ca7_o.jpg

Redyed boot.

5091680255_455d49a5c3_o.jpg

After a coat of polish and a buff, with new leather laces.

Lone wolfs are kinda ugly and Buco horsehides usually clock in at about $1200 after being shipped to the states.

My Buco's were just under a grand shipped and, yes, Lone Wolf's look great at first site, but then... At that price, though, they still beat some of the higher priced boots being offered.

Know what drives me nuts about this? "Millions of workers", etc.... that means that there must at least a large handful of beautiful shell Wolverines still floating around out there, in basements, attics, barns, grandpas' closets, thrift stores...

WHERE ARE THEY?

wolverinead.jpg

Know what drives me nuts about this? "Millions of workers", etc.... that means that there must at least a large handful of beautiful shell Wolverines still floating around out there, in basements, attics, barns, grandpas' closets, thrift stores...

WHERE ARE THEY?

I was thinking exactly the same thing....I've never seen vintage/ thrifted shell cordovan workboots.