Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Those boots in the pictures are actually 80s, its very interesting. You can never tell unless you hold them in your hand and look at them closely.

The sole is 'Armortred Oil Resisting' made from some typ of plastic, nylon?

The leather looks a little different from my 30s-50s boots too.

However, the last and shape is soo similar to 40s boots of this style. I would definitely say they were 40s from that picture.

I guess workwear wasnt redesigned much for a long time.

plaza last with handstitching, I've seen a NST oxford with it from Alden of Carmel I think so that would be possible. Very good thinking. I actually just ordered a pair of boots with stitching so I definitely like the look.

Another idea that came to me is a long-wing high boot in black or #8 shell. It would remond me of some Trickers but with better leather and made in the USA. (however I think this is impossible because Alden doesn't have a last for a balmoral boot). But its an idea right?

Long Wing Boots...Hmm...That could be very nice actually and it's not like that's been done before from Alden...Question is would Alden actually do that?...They seem to be very conservative with their designs correct?...I think if we could possible do a boot like this from Alden an Alpine Grain Calfskin would look amazing...

I do think that a NST or Indy on a Plaza last would look fantastic though and it would def tie in with this forum as we all seem to be very fond of these particular designs...But would Alden even allow that?...Things that make you go hmmmmm....That is if the long wing idea won't fly so to speak...

To me I would really have to go either with an Indy in a Plaza Last with the Flex Welt on a Double Leather Sole...or the NST in a traditional (For that design) Barrie Last a Reverse Welt and either a Lug Sole or a Crepe Sole...

To me the kicker for any of the above pairs would be to make them in the Brown Alpine Grain Calfskin...Or, if possible, Burnished Tan Alpine Grain Calfskin...

Imagine a long wing boot in a Leydon Last perhaps done up in Burnished Tan Alpine Grain Calfskin...That would look just insane...

I am 99.9% sure Alden doesn't have the pattern for a long wing high boot. Also, I am 99.9% sure they will not do the Indy on the Plaza. Also, the flex welt is not available in a double leather sole, nor with shell cordovan.

Anyway, I will be ordering the perf straight tip boot in #8 shell on the trubalance cuz it's still a nice idea so if anyone wants a size outside of my stock range email me by Christmas.

A calf SuFu boot sounds good, it will lower the price about $150 and will definitely "look better with age..."

sorry to be a pain: but does anyone know an online retailer for the Beckmans? I've looked around and all I've found are the 9013s on Cultizm, Rakuten, etc.

For the US look up Gentlemen Travelers. I think its the same shoe, unless you are looking for the mock toe, which in that case is numbered 9015 0r 9010. J. Crew has a version as well.

how about us who preordered the plain toe?

I am 99.9% sure Alden doesn't have the pattern for a long wing high boot. Also, I am 99.9% sure they will not do the Indy on the Plaza. Also, the flex welt is not available in a double leather sole, nor with shell cordovan.

Anyway, I will be ordering the perf straight tip boot in #8 shell on the trubalance cuz it's still a nice idea so if anyone wants a size outside of my stock range email me by Christmas.

A calf SuFu boot sounds good, it will lower the price about $150 and will definitely "look better with age..."

anyone know anything about these? either the originals or these repros.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=55&prodid=562

new%20raf%20boots%20©.JPG

they;re from Aero Leather Clothing, who make really nice jackets (from what I've seen) but I've never heard anything about their boots. This is what they say about them:

"One of the most desirable pieces of flight kit of all time, the RAF 1936 Flying Boot is possibly the "Type A2" of boots. It's took us years to find a cobbler capable of making a perfect re-creation of this rare Flying Boot but the search has been worthwhile as these really are amazing, easily the best we've ever seen. The uppers are made of finest English Chrome tanned Cowhide, lined in close cut off white sheepskin. As far as we know, we are the only company in the World currently re-producing this boot. Our cobbler used the original spec sheets and drawings, found in a UK Museum when making the lasts and patterns, all detailing is correct. This is not a mass produced boot, rather a throw back to the days of cobblers with a mouth full of tacks and a last between their knees!"

I can't think when i'd ever wear them, but the sheepskin lining looks brilliant, and I like the cutaway front. Also they're 190pounds, which doesn;t seem at all bad for made-in-england sheepskin lined welted boots.

For the US look up Gentlemen Travelers. I think its the same shoe, unless you are looking for the mock toe, which in that case is numbered 9015 0r 9010. J. Crew has a version as well.

and to Coleslaw:

thanks for the tips- I have a pair of the black cherry GTs already. Perhaps I was misinformed but I thought the beckman's were specifically the 1913- i.e: the light-ish brown color of the GTs, and also were specifically the Centennial edition. They are made to the same standards as the US GT models, and are superior to the European re-releases, the "90xx" models. But as I say, I may have misspoke or been misinformed. My intent is to track down a brown boot with the centennial stamp on the ankle which looks in all other ways identical to the GTs. Hope that clarifies...

Zappos carries both cherry and black GTs, as well as what looks similar to a centennial edition of the 875 (the stormwelted version with thicker leather.) but they do not seem to have the lighter colored GT...

No problem CInAS. I think the main issue is that the branding for Red Wings here in the States is all over the place. Why not just call the whole shit Beckman Collection like they do everywhere else. That includes the 9010~9015. Here its called Gentleman Travelers but its basically the same boot as the 9011 and the 9014. Confusing.

Just release the whole Beckman line in America and everyone will be happy. Skip these one-offs with J. Crew.

Edit: I think the model you might be looking for is 8285

rodeo bill

here is a link to the fedora lounge , thats an interesting forum on vintageclothing and things alike.

this on is the thread on the boot youare asking

flyingboots

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=27999

hope it helps

excellent link fardin- thanks! really pissed off 4.0 still won;t let me rep anyone:mad:. much appreciated of anyone who can could rep fardin for me?

I think these look amazing in brown (from fardin's link to fedora lounge)

DLewisboots2.jpg

and this is the pair I'm looking at after a little bit of wear (also from FL):

Dortheskrammemarts08003.jpg

Does anyone know the EXACT color description and or the stock number from red wing for the lighter tan 875s? I've been looking all over and can only find them in the darker brown. I asked my local RW store and she said it's a hard color to find and might not be able to order them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Already PM'd Farmer but he didn't have any info.

This is the color I am looking for:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=141600

Just some cheap'n'cheerful shots of my cheap'n'cheerful boots.

Back in the summer I was short of bread when my last pair of whatevers wore out. So I thought I'd take a pnt on there; Brit made, in Northampton, Goodyear-welted leather soles, etc.

They've really done the business; totally waterproof when we went camping, with six inches of mud around most of the site. I was asked if they were Tricker's in their Jermyn St store; of course they're not, the leather is less lustrous and 3-D, the detailing and punchwork of the broguing (if that's a word) is comparatively crude, and they're chunkier and more workmanlike. The leather lining is pretty high quality, though. I've had the leather sole restitched once and augmented with Topy-alike stick ones and a new heel. But all in all, these look as good as, and have lasted twice as well as my last Paul Smith Dealer Brogues. As meantioned before, these are Grafters, Google them and you'll find they're pretty damn good for around £45.

Grafters.jpg

These are cool and I kinda want them. Or maybe I should spring for a pair of trickers.

Cheapest I've found were 55 alien money.

Does anyone know the EXACT color description and or the stock number from red wing for the lighter tan 875s? I've been looking all over and can only find them in the darker brown. I asked my local RW store and she said it's a hard color to find and might not be able to order them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Already PM'd Farmer but he didn't have any info.

This is the color I am looking for:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=141600

i think farmer got those as an off-coloured pair, so it will be really hard to find a pair similar to those. i even think i read that he gets a phonecall from his local red wing store every time such a pair comes in.

These are cool and I kinda want them. Or maybe I should spring for a pair of trickers.

Cheapest I've found were 55 alien money.

Google "Grafters" Brogue" and you'll find a few around £49, not £45, for instance

http://www.shoetail.co.uk/grafters-brogue-7-eye-derby-boot-all-leather-black-594-p.asp

These are not as beautiful as Tricker's; although they look similar, they have a much more workwear look. But they are pretty damn good for the money, especially now the UK Pound is in the trashcan. If you've got the cash, go for the Tricker's (be patient and' you'll see them for £125, as you probably know, from retricker on eBay), but these have served me well - especially when you consider that some of the Paul Smith brogue boots, at around £175, aren't Godyear welted, and when the sole is gone, they're gone...

i think farmer got those as an off-coloured pair, so it will be really hard to find a pair similar to those. i even think i read that he gets a phonecall from his local red wing store every time such a pair comes in.

Ah, ok thanks. I guess I'll just have my store send out an email to all the other RW stores to see if anyone has them. My rep said they weren't a standard color.