Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

thanks for the comparison pictures vegetaray; i need to organise some extra funds!

Not a problem friend...At first I was only planning on purchasing a pair of the cap toe design from Tom but the more I thought about it the more I figured I should just get both pairs...So it's Plain Toe and Cap Toe for me...

They are going to be something special after all, seen as though you have to be a member of Sufu to buy a pair and they are going to have the special heel pad logo that ?mark is cooking up...

So excited about these since they are our Alden Boots...Made by us for us...Great stuff really...

So excited about these since they are our Alden Boots...Made by us for us...

AldenxSUFU, BUFU!

I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I recently bought the Leather Soul Plaza cap-toe dress boot (#8).

At first it seemed to fit perfectly, but as I wore them for a few days my toes started to hurt and well now they're kind of uncomfortable if I wear them for more than 4 hours.

(they're a size 10, I wear 10 in RW, converse; most other shoes are 10.5, while vans, which run small, are 11 for me)

I thought this would go away if I broke them in but it's really annoying and I just wanna be able to wear them.

I was considering selling them on the market place as they barely have any wear and using that money to get either AF60's, or the new LSxSufu boot in a larger size.

Or I wanted to know if taking them to a cobbler to stretch out would help...I wouldnt want the shape of the shoe or the condition of the leather to be compromised.

Any help at all here wold be greatly appreciated.

*edit

also what last is the LSxSufu boot?

I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I recently bought the Leather Soul Plaza cap-toe dress boot (#8).

At first it seemed to fit perfectly, but as I wore them for a few days my toes started to hurt and well now they're kind of uncomfortable if I wear them for more than 4 hours.

(they're a size 10, I wear 10 in RW, converse; most other shoes are 10.5, while vans, which run small, are 11 for me)

I thought this would go away if I broke them in but it's really annoying and I just wanna be able to wear them.

I was considering selling them on the market place as they barely have any wear and using that money to get either AF60's, or the new LSxSufu boot in a larger size.

Or I wanted to know if taking them to a cobbler to stretch out would help...I wouldnt want the shape of the shoe or the condition of the leather to be compromised.

Any help at all here wold be greatly appreciated.

*edit

Shell Cordovan won't stretch despite popular opinion...Generally this is the reason Shell boots feel a bit larger than (for example) calf skin boots because they do not stretch tight on the last while being made...This is also the reason that you could purchase a smaller size in calf and still be able to wear them after a break in period...because that leather stretches...Cordovan however does not...

It sounds to me like you purchased the wrong size...Where is the pain at?...It could be that they are too small in the width department...or is it because they are too short in the toe area? All depends on where you are having pain at...

Plaza last is a bit on the narrow side in the toe area...More dressy...The Trubalance Last (Which is what the Sufu Boots are being made on) is more roomy...I wear an 11E in the Trubalance Last while I wear an 11.5E in the Plaza to acomidate the width problem and because Alden does not make a width bigger than "E" in the Plaza Last...

To compare...I wear 11 in Vans...10.5 in Converse All Stars...and as mentioned above an 11E in Trubalance Aldens and 11.5E in Plaza...If your buying a size 10 in Converse I say buy an 11 in the Plaza Last or a 10.5 in the Trubalance Last...Width is a whole diff animal though...Let us know what your width size is and this will help as well...

By the way I think you should just hold out for the Sufu Boots...Just my opinion though...;):D

Does it hurt because the crease digs in? If that is the case, that usually does go away after a while. I've had some that were stubborn, but it does go away. It won't help to take it to a cobbler if that is the case. What you can do is to put some moleskin on that area of your foot and it will help until the shoe is broken in. If it hurts for some other reason, then they probably just don't fit and you should get a different sized shoe.

LSxSuFu is Trubalance, same as Indy.

Hmm this is the first I've heard of sizing up +1 from your converse size for Plaza last. Do you happen to own a pair of Red Wing Gentlemen traveler that could be compared to the plaza last? I wear a 7.5 in the GT (needed a insole to make them fit snugly) and a 8 in converse and was going to order a 7.5 for the plaza last cap toe boots. I might be wearing my converse a bit larger than I need to though.

Thought I would post up the current Brooks Brothers Peal & Co boot offerings because their pictures are terrible:

img5120jb3.jpg

img5117tf5.jpg

The black and lighter brown are both made by Crockett & Jones on the 240 last and are sized 8.5D. The darker brown are made by Alfred Sargent and are sized 9D on an unknown last.

I kept the two C&J and think the lighter brown will go through a good amount of change after some wear and a few rounds of polish.

I was about to say, those looks a lot like the Conistons, almost exactly like…

As far as I can tell the only difference is the last used. I haven't put them side by side to check the exact leather coloring but everything else seems to be the same and the quality seems the typical very good C&J.

Got them for $305ish+tax last Friday with a 25% + 25% off sale.

Does anybody know if Leathersoul has any plans on releasing an Alden with Crepe Sole on a Boot in the coming year...I've been interested to see the crepe sole on boot from Alden for sometime now and was wondering if this is possible...

In point of fact I think my dream boot would be a NST in Cigar Shell with a crepe sole...That just sounds amazing to me...

^ hey ray, may I ask what you like about the crepe sole that is different than a commando sole? Both are rubber and should serve well on wet pavement. The only crepe soled shoes I own are some J crew suede desert boots and while they are comfortable, the sole (it may be the shoe itself) feels too soft and I really don't feel like they support my feet well after a long day.

On another note I've seen Alden "Walker" shoes where they have a 3/4 crepe sole and leather at the toes, as shown here:

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=59

so anything is possible. My preference for any rugged Alden boot though would be the commando sole.

^ hey ray, may I ask what you like about the crepe sole that is different than a commando sole? Both are rubber and should serve well on wet pavement. The only crepe soled shoes I own are some J crew suede desert boots and while they are comfortable, the sole (it may be the shoe itself) feels too soft and I really don't feel like they support my feet well after a long day.

On another note I've seen Alden "Walker" shoes where they have a 3/4 crepe sole and leather at the toes, as shown here:

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=59

so anything is possible. My preference for any rugged Alden boot though would be the commando sole.

Actually to be honest with you I've never actually worn either the Commando Sole or the Crepe Sole from Alden...

I do like the 3/4 Crepe with leather combo as to me it just looks so odd out compared to other shoes of the same nature...Plus the soft nature of those type of soles would mean even more comfort and great traction in wet conditions...

I considered picking up a pair of the all weather walkers from Alden but as I wear mainly boots I decided not too...

Also does anybody know when Tom is going to close out the order for the Sufu Boots and get us an ETA for getting them?...

Shell Cordovan won't stretch despite popular opinion...Generally this is the reason Shell boots feel a bit larger than (for example) calf skin boots because they do not stretch tight on the last while being made...This is also the reason that you could purchase a smaller size in calf and still be able to wear them after a break in period...because that leather stretches...Cordovan however does not...

It sounds to me like you purchased the wrong size...Where is the pain at?...It could be that they are too small in the width department...or is it because they are too short in the toe area? All depends on where you are having pain at...

Plaza last is a bit on the narrow side in the toe area...More dressy...The Trubalance Last (Which is what the Sufu Boots are being made on) is more roomy...I wear an 11E in the Trubalance Last while I wear an 11.5E in the Plaza to acomidate the width problem and because Alden does not make a width bigger than "E" in the Plaza Last...

To compare...I wear 11 in Vans...10.5 in Converse All Stars...and as mentioned above an 11E in Trubalance Aldens and 11.5E in Plaza...If your buying a size 10 in Converse I say buy an 11 in the Plaza Last or a 10.5 in the Trubalance Last...Width is a whole diff animal though...Let us know what your width size is and this will help as well...

By the way I think you should just hold out for the Sufu Boots...Just my opinion though...;):D

Damn...I guess I did buy the wrong size :confused:. I forgot to mention, my width is D, (My RW's are 10D and the Aldens are 10D as well).

What hurts is my big toe...at first it was only on my left big toe and then after a few wears it also affected my right big toe (not on the front of the toe, on the sides of the nail.). *sigh* I hate to have to let these boots go, I love them so much.

The RW's I own are the 877...been wanting some GT's though...buuut thats a different story..haha. And yea I buy my converse as small as possible...a 10, I used to buy 11. In that case I will go for an 11 in the plaza last.

It kind of bums me out that the Sufu boots aren't in the plaza last. While I did want to get them I don't think the trubalance last will work well for me.

And thanks for all the help guys. Expect to see a marketplace thread for my boots soon.

Also, there are rumors circulating of an AldenXContext collab....true?

Damn...I guess I did buy the wrong size :confused:. I forgot to mention, my width is D, (My RW's are 10D and the Aldens are 10D as well).

What hurts is my big toe...at first it was only on my left big toe and then after a few wears it also affected my right big toe (not on the front of the toe, on the sides of the nail.). *sigh* I hate to have to let these boots go, I love them so much.

The RW's I own are the 877...been wanting some GT's though...buuut thats a different story..haha. And yea I buy my converse as small as possible...a 10, I used to buy 11. In that case I will go for an 11 in the plaza last.

It kind of bums me out that the Sufu boots aren't in the plaza last. While I did want to get them I don't think the trubalance last will work well for me.

And thanks for all the help guys. Expect to see a marketplace thread for my boots soon.

Also, there are rumors circulating of an AldenXContext collab....true?

Yeah you could have went with an E width in the Plaza and it would have prob taken care of that problem...

As far as the Trubalance (Sufu Boots) the D width will most likely fit you fine if your saying the Plaza was not wide enough in it's own D width...If you do plan on getting the Sufu Boots I would suggest getting a 10D as it should fit you fine...

I dont know why but I wouldnt want to size up on width, I think sizing up to 11D would do the trick.

And what I mean is that I like the plaza last because it looks more formal/dress-like. The trubalance isn't as pointed as I'd like....then again I may reconsider.

Sorry for interrupting your discussion again,but this thread lives from pictures.RW Centennial Collection,1908,Horweenleather:

P1020545.jpg

P1020544.jpg

P1020541.jpg

P1020538.jpg

P1020539.jpg

Sorry for the harsh flash and a dusty floor.

Thanks to turntabloid for clearing up the differences between 1911/9011 and some info about the Centennial Collection at ringxring.com.

The story behind the 1908 is that I ordered them in May 06 at cultizm.I went in a local shop before to get the size right,the employee there talked me into a size 9 as he didnt had a 9.5 to compare.I trusted him and ordered a 9,which turned out to be half a size too small.After having a hard time breaking them in they streched to a comfortable fit.They fit well lenghtwise but could be a tad wider and I cannot wear any insoles.As I never owned a pair of RWs before,I was surprised by the overall quality and decided to order a pair of 9011 in 9.5,which fit perfect but failed completely in the way RW putted them together,as you could see in my post a few sites back.

Hi guys. Honestly, this SuFu boot hasn't gotten the attention it needs to get off the ground, mostly my fault since I haven't taken a leading role in making it happen. I kind of wished it to happen on its own actually, through the work of members of this forum.

Anyway, honestly I haven't gotten much interest at all via email. Maybe a handful of interested people at most. Not to say I won't still make the boots, but it just doesn't seem so special if the SuFuxLS Alden boot only has 3 people from SuFu who actually ordered a pair if you know what I mean.

So, in conclusion, I'll still make the boots, but I'm not sure they should be the SuFuxLS boots.

Let me know if I'm totally off on this.

Please know, I'm not in this to sell boots. I really am not trying to make money off you guys. I don't care that I'm not getting orders. Just explaining the situation that's all.