Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hi guys. Honestly, this SuFu boot hasn't gotten the attention it needs to get off the ground, mostly my fault since I haven't taken a leading role in making it happen. I kind of wished it to happen on its own actually, through the work of members of this forum.

Anyway, honestly I haven't gotten much interest at all via email. Maybe a handful of interested people at most. Not to say I won't still make the boots, but it just doesn't seem so special if the SuFuxLS Alden boot only has 3 people from SuFu who actually ordered a pair if you know what I mean.

So, in conclusion, I'll still make the boots, but I'm not sure they should be the SuFuxLS boots.

Let me know if I'm totally off on this.

Please know, I'm not in this to sell boots. I really am not trying to make money off you guys. I don't care that I'm not getting orders. Just explaining the situation that's all.

Well maybe we should just scrap these boots and start fresh to get everybody involved...Start a thread for that only and maybe set up a poll of somekind that way we can really break it down to what people wan't the most...

I really wan't them myself but honestly there is no point in making them if they are not what we all wan't...

Like I said I really want these boots but I'm all for Sufu deciding what we want and I'm more than happy to chip my opinion in on a diff design if need be...

Since it's not going over as well as it should my vote would be to scrap these then and let's start from scratch...

Hi guys. Honestly, this SuFu boot hasn't gotten the attention it needs to get off the ground, mostly my fault since I haven't taken a leading role in making it happen. I kind of wished it to happen on its own actually, through the work of members of this forum.

Anyway, honestly I haven't gotten much interest at all via email. Maybe a handful of interested people at most. Not to say I won't still make the boots, but it just doesn't seem so special if the SuFuxLS Alden boot only has 3 people from SuFu who actually ordered a pair if you know what I mean.

So, in conclusion, I'll still make the boots, but I'm not sure they should be the SuFuxLS boots.

Please know, I'm not in this to sell boots. I really am not trying to make money off you guys. I don't care that I'm not getting orders. Just explaining the situation that's all.

It's starting to seem like there won't really be any kind of agreement approaching the kind of consensus that would be needed to do a SuFuxLS boot...that might just be an indication of the fact that in this thread, the prevailing "common ground" is quality much more than it is style. I think if you scrap these and attempt to build something from the ground up you could probably come up with a design that elicits more interest. My prediction about the eventual design that would have appropriate support to rightfully be SuFuxLS is that it will be much more modern and dressy. Perhaps I was in the wrong when I derailed the progress of a boot that seemed like it was going in the direction of a slightly modified Style Forum x LS boot.

Also, I hope your willingness to still produce those Trubalance makeups stems from the fact that they will be easy to sell and not that you don't want to disappoint the small handful of people who were really excited about them...I imagine they wouldn't be too hard to sell though...they seem like something the AAAC and Fedora Lounge folks (not to mention plain old regular folks who don't belong to internet forums but have good taste in footwear) would be pretty excited to get their hands on.

Most SuFu members pay lip service at the beginning of projects but never cough up the cash when the time comes around to order.

Most SuFu members pay lip service at the beginning of projects but never cough up the cash when the time comes around to order.

while your statement may or may not be true, I don't think that is the case here. If I recall correctly, only 8-10 members were really putting in ideas toward the design of the boot. Several (but not many) others were interested but really wanted cigar shell or modified last and had no intention of buying them if it wasn't that combination. And then there were others who followed the project but never owned Alden's were probably confused as hell. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't thrown down $600 and wait 4-8 months for a pair of shoes that may or may not fit, no matter how many people say the material and construction is awesome.

The positive I would say is that if there is any group of Sufu members who are most likely to create a project and order the final design, it is most likely the members in this thread. Also during our design process, Tom got the idea of the tru-balance boot (with and without the perf cap-toe) which should be a great shoe, and one that any of us members should be able to purchase even if it is not the official Sufu boot.

What makes this project especially hard IMO is the high price of Alden shell boots and the many great designs that already exist by Alden and LS. Even though I think custom Alden shell boots are worth every penny, it sort of defeats the purpose of owning them if you end up with too many pairs and don't get the chance to really make them "look better with age." Getting that one perfect pair is probably why some members are holding out, and this is a perfectly valid reason as aesthetics do vary from person to person.

Anyways I am very interested to see what new ideas come up if the original design is scrapped. There is one or two designs from LS that I am almost positive that I will buy so I don't plan on throwing ideas at the Sufu boot unless something brilliant comes to mind. best,

while your statement may or may not be true, I don't think that is the case here.

Quoted for truth. The problem here was precisely the lack of "lip service" dude is hurling accusations about. The problem stems directly from the inability to get cigar, or anything made up on the modified last. When these things were found to be impossible, talk was moving towards a dressier boot on a Plaza or potentially Leydon last, but then an enthusiastic minority charged for a more vintage style boot, and for a moment, had their victory...until Tom realized only a couple guys on Superfuture actually wanted (and could commit to paying for) such a boot.

^^Good points from tmadd and MiniW. It's probably the recession. Most people want to spend money on something they really want. I agree, if its not a real departure from what's already available, then it shouldn't be a collab.

Here are some pics of my re-sole of my 1914 GT's. As usual, my man Okuyama-san working his magic.

1914catpaws1.jpg

1914catpaws2.jpg

1914catpaws3.jpg

1914catpaws4.jpg

1914catpaws5.jpg

1914catpaws6.jpg

cole:

sweet boots! they remind me of my service boots... once I finally get my ultimate indys and my current 405's need a retread... I'm thinking of doing that to my 405's... I don't remember if anyone here has done that?

^^Good points from tmadd and MiniW. It's probably the recession. Most people want to spend money on something they really want. I agree, if its not a real departure from what's already available, then it shouldn't be a collab.

Here are some pics of my re-sole of my 1914 GT's. As usual, my man Okuyama-san working his magic.

1914catpaws2.jpg

really... redwings.... makes them almost bearable without that thin sole... pm me with some info for your cobbler if you could... or just post it up

3!? thats sad. i got one. whos the other 2?

Tom, what would you like us to do to get this project done? I'll have a heel pad by tomorrow night.

I was on the order list for 1 of each pair ?mark...

the first pair of alden 405s I had ended up being too small for me, so I had resigned to selling them. So I ordered a new pair and once those came in I had noticed a significant quality difference in the leather, besides the fact that tanning was coming off around the laces and on the tongue after using them for only a week. The leather on the first aldens was extremely soft and very prone to scuffing, and the new ones I got (which fit and are great) are holding up 1,000 times better. So, I decided to call Alden after reading Akilae's post about his problem with the shoes. They told me to write a letter about my problem, put it in the box with the shoes and they would call me. I got a call a couple of weeks later saying that I was indeed correct about the leather. he said it was some sort of bad batch and that my shoes were falling apart. They asked me what dealer I bought them from and told me that they would have them issue me a full refund. I was very happy to hear this and proud that alden stood behind their product so strongly. So if anyone has any problems, all they need to do is give them a call and they will be glad to listen to you.

just thought this might be interesting considering all the talk about the recent quality control problems regarding the alden 405.

the first pair of alden 405s I had ended up being too small for me, so I had resigned to selling them. So I ordered a new pair and once those came in I had noticed a significant quality difference in the leather, besides the fact that tanning was coming off around the laces and on the tongue after using them for only a week. The leather on the first aldens was extremely soft and very prone to scuffing, and the new ones I got (which fit and are great) are holding up 1,000 times better. So, I decided to call Alden after reading Akilae's post about his problem with the shoes. They told me to write a letter about my problem, put it in the box with the shoes and they would call me. I got a call a couple of weeks later saying that I was indeed correct about the leather, he said it was some sort of bad batch and that my shoes were falling apart. They asked me what dealer I bought them from and told me that they would have them issue me a full refund. I was very happy to hear this and proud that alden stood behind their product so strongly. So if anyone has any problems, all they need to do is give them a call and they will be glad to listen to you.

just thought this might be interesting considering all the talk about the recent quality control problems regarding the alden 405.

PS: I edited my original post and superfuture ate it. I dont know if it will come back, so if it double posts...oops.

Thanks everyone for the comments and +reps!

I don't remember if anyone here has done that?

Yes, I actually tried this on my 405's first. Figured a single leather sole looked better with Alden's. Here are some pics I posted before.

indyfront.jpg

indyside.jpg

indysole.jpg

how much did this run you coleslaw? and how long? and for the shipping? thanks bud

Usually north of $200-ish, but with the yen being higher than the dollar, probably more expensive than that. You could probably find a cheaper cobbler in the states, but Okuyama-san's work speaks for itself and his service is well worth the money.

… or just post it up

Yes his shop is called Hukurokuju.

as usual great looking boots coleslawyun! how long did you have to wait for Okuyama-san to d this?

those cap toes vintage aldens look really amazing. what kind of last is that?

Sucks there is not enough interest in the sufu X leathersoul boot. There has to be more than 3 people interested though, because I also sent in my email for the perf. captoe version.

I think on this forum it is harder to agree on a style though, as half like a dressier boot and half like a more rugged work boot. Also, not everyone can afford a shell cordovan boot, most people seem to own the standard calf 405, which is hundreds of dollars less expensive than shell boots.

^That's the direction I'm going. I love the cordovan boots, but I have not owned an indy boot yet, let alone an Alden shoe, so it's hard to justify a long waiting period coupled with an exceptionally higher price for a boot I'm not sure will fit me or even appeal to my aesthetic. The calf 405 is a much safer choice, and I can always return for a different size if it doesn't fit just right.

Shells are lurking somewhere in the semi-distant future.

The only thing that's stopping me from getting the Trubalance boot is well...that its a truebalance. I'd be very interested to see what can be thought up of for the "official" sufu collab.

I would provide lip service and would definitely back it up with an actual purchase. Of course with this kind of thing, there's no rush, we kind of just have to let it snowball so that the momentum doesnt feel "forced" and end up with another custom boot with no buyers.

also, the europeans in this forum are quite afraid of currency exchange rate changes and especially taxes due to the 'official' shipping method provided by tom (which he has to do, no question about that!).

we would end up on more than 850$ for a 600$ boot, after customs are finished with us!

i am currently talking my uncle into serving as a proxy for orders i do with tom, he is a california local, who frequently comes over to europe.

but, anybody else is just totally freaked about the price those will end up when finally in the old world!

also, the europeans in this forum are quite afraid of currency exchange rate changes and especially taxes due to the 'official' shipping method provided by tom (which he has to do, no question about that!).

we would end up on more than 850$ for a 600$ boot, after customs are finished with us!

i am currently talking my uncle into serving as a proxy for orders i do with tom, he is a california local, who frequently comes over to europe.

but, anybody else is just totally freaked about the price those will end up when finally in the old world!

my thoughts exactely; its 8% import tax for shoes and then an additional 21% VAT so that makes the shoes markedly more expensive. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to have the boots send to me by proxy because if insured, value declared then there's no way escaping customs.

As for the SuFu boot, I'm mostly interested in a boot that resembles vintage work boots (if that is even possible for a Alden boot) I've seen some great looking Aldens but alas; they were mostly on modified or military last. For now I'm going to give the Ultimate Indy boot a try (as long as i can evade customs, otherwise no go)

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could find boot shops (Alden, White's, Lone Wolf etc) in the Kansai area?

my thoughts exactely; its 8% import tax for shoes and then an additional 21% VAT so that makes the shoes markedly more expensive. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to have the boots send to me by proxy because if insured, value declared then there's no way escaping customs.

As for the SuFu boot, I'm mostly interested in a boot that resembles vintage work boots (if that is even possible for a Alden boot) I've seen some great looking Aldens but alas; they were mostly on modified or military last. For now I'm going to give the Ultimate Indy boot a try (as long as i can evade customs, otherwise no go)

here it would be (price + shipping) + 12% shoes + 19% vat = ridiculous

work boot look in aldens = trubalance

everything else looks too dressy for a work boot IMO

work boot look in aldens = trubalance

everything else looks too dressy for a work boot IMO

I couldn't agree more. The major reason that it seems like a vintage work boot look can only be achieved with the Modified and Militiary lasts is that those are the only lasts on people use when trying to create a work boot look. With the exception of one Alden Of Carmel boot, I haven't seen any boots on Tru Balance besides 405s and 86 and they both fit the bill, aesthetically and historically.