Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The Adventure-bilt Germany division of the Adventure-bilt hat company, hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones film had this special run of boots commissioned.

Marc Kitter of AB Hats worked with the alden factory to create these.

His connection at the factory resourced all of the original materials the boots were made with in the early 80's. The string, heel foundation, and everything are made exactly as they were in the 1980's. The Leather color is replicated from a sample pair the factory had, and the boots have a full leather liner. The going price is around 800$ and Marc is doing another run for delivery early next year.

If you are not a big indiana jones fan, this will all mean didly squat. I'm a pretty big fan and this just seems ridiculous to me. You could buy cordo indy's for how much these were. Stupid.

Here's the original post from Indy gear after they arrived.

What a happy moment :) I just received two huge boxes filled with the special made Adventurebilt Alden boots!!!

I'm so thrilled and grateful for all the effort that Alden put into re-creating these boots :D The color is EXACTLY as requested, every stitch, every detail - I just couldn't be happier :)

This picture (courtesy of MK) among dozen of screen graps and countless discussions with the fine craftmen of Alden and months of waiting have made me being able to end this quest :D

Aldens235.jpg

Here's a pair in Ford's size for your viewing pleasure:

DSCN1146.jpg

And a little closer (both pictures taken inside the living room - no flash):

DSCN1147.jpg

Thanks for all you confidence, trust and patience in this project guys :-*

Regards,

Marc

Maybe we should all knock heads and come up with a pair of White's x Sufu Boots...

Bill where you at? I know you can help out with something like this...

Not a bad idea, but good luck getting any consensus amongst a substantial amount of people for a single make-up from a company that does MTO for no upcharge.

The Adventure-bilt Germany division of the Adventure-bilt hat company, hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones film had this special run of boots commissioned.

Marc Kitter of AB Hats worked with the alden factory to create these.

His connection at the factory resourced all of the original materials the boots were made with in the early 80's. The string, heel foundation, and everything are made exactly as they were in the 1980's. The Leather color is replicated from a sample pair the factory had, and the boots have a full leather liner. The going price is around 800$ and Marc is doing another run for delivery early next year.

If you are not a big indiana jones fan, this will all mean didly squat. I'm a pretty big fan and this just seems ridiculous to me. You could buy cordo indy's for how much these were. Stupid.

Here's the original post from Indy gear after they arrived.

Almost right Shark...There is only leather lining on the tongue and not the rest of the inner boot...The rest is the same material as a regular pair of 405's...This actually pissed me off a great deal when I got my pair because I was told by Marc that they would have a full leather liner...

The reason for the high price was due to the exchange rate's from the U.S. to Germany and back to the U.S. but whatever...When it comes to Alden I'm a sucker...I do agree though as there not worth the price paid if your not an Indy fan...It would be much better just to get a pair of the general 405's...I'm of course an Indy fan and Alden is my brand of choice so this was a no brainer for me...

At any rate here is a picture I posted of my pair way back when I got them...They are fairly worn in now and aging very well...I've only added Pecards to them and nothing else...When I get around to taking some new pics of them I will post them up...

341361461.jpg

Not a bad idea, but good luck getting any consensus amongst a substantial amount of people for a single make-up from a company that does MTO for no upcharge.

I was thinking we could get something out of the norm for White's...Like Cordovan Leather or something...Just throwing it out there....

I was thinking we could get something out of the norm for White's...Like Cordovan Leather or something...Just throwing it out there....

This has been something I have spoken to Bill about as a hypothetical over the past year or so. The last time we spoke about it, the conclusion was that while Whites was willing to do a Cordovan Leather boot (and The Stronghold had a sample made I believe) but a) Whites was going to charge an arm and a leg for it (I remember it being in, or sufficiently near four-figures) B) they don't have the experience working with it that allows them to bring it from the state it is received from a tannery to the state that a pair of Cordovan Aldens are when brand new (the lustrous shiny depth of new shells) c) it is possible, though not necessarily plausible that a and b can be circumnavigated by other means. Bill obviously will have a more authoritative word on this than I do, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is currently in the process of finding out more and as a result not knowing for sure what avenue is the best. That said, a single leather #8ish semi dress would be the Sufuest of Sufu boots possible in my opinion...I would only hope that it wasn't even more Sufuesque by virtue of costing a relatively obscene amount of money.

thanks shark and veg. i knew you guys would know about those indys. (guess i've been out of touch lately, too.) and i agree, $800 for indys with different color is too much outside of sentimental values. they look good though.

cordovan white's sound strange to me. it's because white's pretty much have nothing to do with dress shoes. smokejumper, packers and even semi-dress are really heavy work boots to me. using expensive and more finicky cordovan don't make much sense to me. the materials won't match the styling.

however, white's made with katahdins, like the vintage pair curious george posted few pages ago, now that i will be very interested in.

Almost right Shark...There is only leather lining on the tongue and not the rest of the inner boot...The rest is the same material as a regular pair of 405's...This actually pissed me off a great deal when I got my pair because I was told by Marc that they would have a full leather liner...

The reason for the high price was due to the exchange rate's from the U.S. to Germany and back to the U.S. but whatever...When it comes to Alden I'm a sucker...I do agree though as there not worth the price paid if your not an Indy fan...It would be much better just to get a pair of the general 405's...I'm of course an Indy fan and Alden is my brand of choice so this was a no brainer for me...

That sucks.

I was seriously considering them but changed my mind after realizing I was broke. That would have made me really really angry...

Now, I'm a huge indy fan. I've got a Wested jacket, one of the AB's from the crystal skull run (it was made from the same felt batch as the film hats, and during the same week) probably 5 clover lighter replicas....I've got the whole screen accurate set. I even make the whips myself....then I even went so far as to track down steven and harrison ford when they were shooting Indy 4 in new haven, AND I had the oppertunity to talk with them for a pretty generous period of time.......:D........BUT

for that price I could buy almost 3 pairs of standard indies, or some leather soul ultimates, which look fantastic. (thoes are worth it)

Construction wise is there really a diffrence?

It looks just like my pair. I've been curious about this since they were first posted.

Are you on IndyGear vegetaray123?

I've been a member there since the first forum in 99'(?).

hey some questions for you guys (i dont post here often, but i've been around this thread since its inception, way back when, was one of the early indy adapters, and its been pretty cool to follow the progression and see what you all are up to, shoe-wise) -- anyway, i'm pretty sure this is somewhere's in this thread, but if anyone could give me some quick info it'd be much appreciated:

1) looks like i need to resole my indy's (2 and 1/2 years of hard wear and virtually no maintenance, is that reasonable?)

can someone recommend anyone in nyc (greg?) i know there are some minas fans, anyone know what he charges/ turnaround time? i'm really not so into the 135$ and 4-6 weeks wait to have the full alden factory re-working (unless of course anyone enthusiastically recommends it over one of the nyc guys (molded? minas? someone else?)

again, any info/help greatly appreciated.

also,

2) a big reason for the wear and tear is that my indy's were such damn good shoes, it became increasingly difficult to even put any other 'lesser' shoe on, to the point where i b asically just wore em every day (i know, i know, yr not supposed to do that..) so when i get em' resoled, i'd like to also add a 'real' 2nd option, which would either be another pair of indy's (boring, but sound), or ... any red wing guys care to try and sway me? i'm more workboot oriented , so not looking at the dressier stuff (cap toes, chukkas, white's, et al..). the red wing 899's look interesting, a sort of round toe counterpart to the indy moc. but for the $$ are they at all worth it compared to indys? would i have the problem of 'wearing a lesser shoe' (keep in mind, i currently have some frye's, some vintage boots, and i'd even throw my AE oxfords and loafers in that category of stuff that just doesn't come close to that indy feel)

lester, try moulded shoes. I read about them on AAAC and went to the store once. The service is great even though I didn't buy anything. I think they do resoling at the store for about $80 or $90 and I'm thinking it won't take as long as sending them to back Alden. Also they'll give you any option for soles that Alden provides.

When you are there, see what other boots they have in your size, they have a limited amount of modified last shoes so it's definitely worth a trip.

BTW why don't you put up a pic of the shoes before and after resoling for us to envy. I'm wearing my Indy's pretty much everyday for 3 weeks and they still look brand spanking new since I'm just walking around NYC (and not fighting fire ants or russian nazis...). thanks in advance

just heard from leathersoul...

my Ultimate Indy's came in and will soon be on their way!

Although 6 months ago, he had an 11 D in stock, my current 405's were an 11 C and they fit me perfect so I didn't want to chance these new boots not fitting right and then I'd not like them so I waited till now!

I'll post some pics when they come in and pic of my current 405's which are nearing their 1 year point I think....

everyone here in japan is very impressed with my semi dress from bill

i told them about the price and they all like "wwhaaaooooaaa?!??!"

hahhahaha

tony lama and pistolero on sale at abc mart might get a pair sooo cheap!

That sucks.

I was seriously considering them but changed my mind after realizing I was broke. That would have made me really really angry...

Now, I'm a huge indy fan. I've got a Wested jacket, one of the AB's from the crystal skull run (it was made from the same felt batch as the film hats, and during the same week) probably 5 clover lighter replicas....I've got the whole screen accurate set. I even make the whips myself....then I even went so far as to track down steven and harrison ford when they were shooting Indy 4 in new haven, AND I had the oppertunity to talk with them for a pretty generous period of time.......:D........BUT

for that price I could buy almost 3 pairs of standard indies, or some leather soul ultimates, which look fantastic. (thoes are worth it)

Construction wise is there really a diffrence?

It looks just like my pair. I've been curious about this since they were first posted.

Are you on IndyGear vegetaray123?

I've been a member there since the first forum in 99'(?).

Yeah I def agree that it's not worth the money they cost...I do love them very much but like I said before, It would be much easier and cheaper to just buy a general pair of 405's and call it a day...Not really any diffrence outside of the color, stitching, and welt...and of course the leather tongue liner...That was my 3rd pair of 405's and they are pretty much the same construction wise...That's okay though because I think I'm going the chicken route and getting my oldest pair of 405's beefed up with a Vibram sole or maybe some Cat's Paws or something...Still waiting on Alden to get back at me after I contacted them about the new soles for boots and shoes so we will see how that pans out first...If Alden can do it I'm going with a double leather...If they can't I'm going to do either the Cats Paws or Vibrams on there...

Def go with Tom's Ultimate Indy's from Leathersoul...Cheaper, better quality, and def worth every penny IMO...

Yes I'm on Indygear..."Sneakertinker" over there...

wow, only missed a few days and already like 7 pages of shoe info; you got to love this thread :-)

aren't cats paws discontinued? is there still a way to get some? How much would it cost to have a regular pair of Indies changed to single leather sole with front and heel cats paws? its kind of my dream boot! I believe Mich bought a similar pair from a forum member here? Mich, am i right about this?

I've finally started to wear my Whites SD. I bought a pair from Bill last summer but left them in the box because i wanted my red wings 875 to wear in first. Although they still hurt my ankles, they do walk great. I can already see some wrinkels appear in the leather. Probably wont apply anything for awhile, didnt do anything to the red wings either.

Here's a post gregNYC made over on the fedora lounge about them.

Lots of interesting info.

They show up on ebay all the time. If you ask your cobbler what # heel you would need for your size boot, you can buy them off there. But most good cobblers usually have some. The orthopedic cats paws are just about impossible to find though.

forsufu.jpg

Ebay Auctions

everyone here in japan is very impressed with my semi dress from bill

i told them about the price and they all like "wwhaaaooooaaa?!??!"

hahhahaha

tony lama and pistolero on sale at abc mart might get a pair sooo cheap!

Why, because you paid way too damn much or because they were cheap?

And also, Tony Lama's are on sale when ever you go to a Hispanic part of town. Come to LA and you'll go nuts over them.

The western wear store next to Leather Soul is now selling White's....for $495. What a joke.

^DP, thats a WESCO Boss with a harness toe. Looks like single leather mid-soles with rubber half soles worn down to shit. Everything else looks standard. I think they can definitely make that for you!

The toe looks less squarish than a harness toe. Either way, I think those are my ultimate motorcycle boot now. Must haves my precious'.

Yeah I def agree that it's not worth the money they cost...I do love them very much but like I said before, It would be much easier and cheaper to just buy a general pair of 405's and call it a day...Not really any diffrence outside of the color, stitching, and welt...and of course the leather tongue liner...That was my 3rd pair of 405's and they are pretty much the same construction wise...That's okay though because I think I'm going the chicken route and getting my oldest pair of 405's beefed up with a Vibram sole or maybe some Cat's Paws or something...Still waiting on Alden to get back at me after I contacted them about the new soles for boots and shoes so we will see how that pans out first...If Alden can do it I'm going with a double leather...If they can't I'm going to do either the Cats Paws or Vibrams on there...

Def go with Tom's Ultimate Indy's from Leathersoul...Cheaper, better quality, and def worth every penny IMO...

Yes I'm on Indygear..."Sneakertinker" over there...

or, go with one of these. someone scored:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120358514397&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

wow, only missed a few days and already like 7 pages of shoe info; you got to love this thread :-)

aren't cats paws discontinued? is there still a way to get some? How much would it cost to have a regular pair of Indies changed to single leather sole with front and heel cats paws? its kind of my dream boot! I believe Mich bought a similar pair from a forum member here? Mich, am i right about this?

eddie's shoe repair in sherman oaks is always trying to stock cat's paws and they'll gladly put orthopedic heels on your indys. that's what they did to mine.

also, denim doctors at hollywood trading company stock some cat's paws too. you might want to ask robert there.

i freaked out when i saw thoes.

I would have bought those in a heartbeat if they were in my size. I take 10.5 EE....I own a pair of 10.5 D's right now. They fit me terribly, my foot is about an inch over the outside of the welt on the outside of the shoe, and its squishing my 2nd toe. It's been 5 years since I bought them, guess my feet grew.