Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

This is what Kim from Wesco had to say about the Cycle Boss boot I posted a few pages back.

DSC01025.JPG

Michael –

The Cycle Boss was an exclusive boot model to our Japanese distributor Wesco Japan. It used special leathers, embossed logos and labels. I’m afraid the only way to get this same boot would be to order it through Wesco Japan.

The closest boot model would be our 11” Boss boot with black leather lining, brass buckles, black sole stitching on our MP shoe last to give the Motorcycle Patrol toe and heel.

Thanks,

Kim

Wesco

Thanks slab.

I don't remember where I found the pictures of the black indies honestly. I'm curious of that myself.

Those are my boots. I got them a few months ago but haven't really had a chance to wear them because it gets too hot here in Hawaii to wear boots like those.

I'll have to take a picture of my regular, black, and snuff suede 405s one of these days.

Found these 1940's worksboots... Put some of my Oben LP on them.

P1090824.jpgP1090825.jpgP1090826.jpg

How is obenaufs compared to pecard?

does it do a better job at waterproofing?

I'm asking because whenever I would wear my Alden the water would just soak into the boots. Does it have some water repelling to it? I'm getting a new pair soon and I'm thinking about using something else on them.

I'm asking because whenever I would wear my Alden the water would just soak into the boots. Does it have some water repelling to it? I'm getting a new pair soon and I'm thinking about using something else on them.

I use obenauf's on my 405s and it does a really good job. They don't absorb water unless they get real wet and the water sits there for a while. I've never used pecards before so I cant relay a comparison. I dont know what is used in pecards either but obenaufs uses a substance called "Propolis : tree resins used by honeybees to weatherproof and disinfect their hives, reists mildesw, mold, and bacteria, which attack leather." it is a beeswax/propolis suspension formula and replenishes the leather's natural oils. (this was on my tub of obenauf's LP)

those are some awesome boots emaze, can you tell us what that oval shaped logo on the heel says?

erk... it took me awhile to figure out the writing on the side. But after some obenauf's LP the letters came out just enough for me to read them. They say "Mainstream" I've been trying to get the scoop on these boots but so far nothing? Also I highly recommend obenauf's LP. I've used it on my SDA wallet, my Redmoon Peacemaker, and a horse saddle.

I'm gonna honestly say,

Them things have always creeped me out.

Do they serve any actual purpose?

it's a tongue protector, it saves the real tongue from getting pulled and tugged and worn out before the rest of the shoe is through. The reason it is cut up at the toe end is to make it gentler on the toe than a straight cut edge, which would kind of be abrasive.

maybe this is hard to visualize but that's what it's for.

well, after a 6 month wait they finally arrived! My Ultimate Indy Contest Boots!

They're just awesome! Huge Thanks to Tom at Leather Soul!

My first pair of Alden's in that came with a shoe bag!

And they fit perfect! The smell of new leather shoes is just fantastic. Leather lined, and darker leather than the standard 405. Even the laces are nice waxed ones, I should get them for my standard 405s.

Here's some pics...

3181745396_45ce8260d5.jpg?v=0

3181747444_f4bf8c9371.jpg?v=0

3180914759_669ac38bfb.jpg?v=0

3180914193_5d44a63e3a.jpg?v=0

3181748380_d630a4698d.jpg?v=0

3181748558_0302c2b80e.jpg?v=0

3181748654_bf1abd82b6.jpg?v=0

nice boots happy hooligan. makes me wanna get a pair of ultimates. interesting to see the side by side comparison.

and how old are your standard 405s? the logo and stuff on the heel pad look almost new, i can barely even see mine and i've only had them since october...

are you saying that water soaks in your Aldens with Pecards? or without anything on them?

When my indys were new,I applied two layers of pecards. They darkened to a nice color and the several times I wore them in the rain, the water definitely did not soak in. The water formed drops that I guess slid off or evaporated over time. Pecards is a good product and relatively cheap.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Which type of pecard did you use?

I was using the classic gel dressing and the few times my

boots got wet, the water soaked into the leather like a sponge and left

stains for a couple days. I actually had better results using Melitonian paste polish. I never expreienced any water repellency with pecard whatsoever.

are you saying that water soaks in your Aldens with Pecards? or without anything on them?

When my indys were new,I applied two layers of pecards. They darkened to a nice color and the several times I wore them in the rain, the water definitely did not soak in. The water formed drops that I guess slid off or evaporated over time. Pecards is a good product and relatively cheap.

did this also darken the color of the white stitches? When Ill waterproof my Indies Id like the stitches to remain white; use snozeal or put some neutral polish on them first?

This is all a GUESS

but it sort of makes sense.

Here's various guesses

George Washington wore a similar over clipping style boot.

The first time someone looked that them they threw up because they thought they were so ugly, in the process saying...."huaaa huaa Gooorreeeegeee"

or

The most likely of the 3

(this is fact)

General George S. Patton, Jr. was once confronted by a solider who had burned the laces off his boot inside of a tank, and gave him the single strap from his leather holster to hold the boot closed, thus they were forever known as George boots. This same event is what made tank controllers realize straps would be much more useful than laces while controlling a tank.

at least that's what I remember. If someone can show evidence I remembered this totally wrong, please tell me so. That was from an episode of modern marvels about footwear.

hey SLAB, pecards is pretty much colorless so it won't color the stitches. It may darken them 1 shade (like when you drink tea/coffee and your teeth get stained), but this is not really noticeable. As long as you don't rub colored wax or cream on them, the should remain highly contrasted with the leather. BTW I've also seen a pair of indy's in person where the stitches were colored the same as the leather, I didn't recognize they were indy's from far away but thought that they were cool boots. A few minutes after I spotted the boots, the person wearing them actually came up to me and commented on how my "new" indys looked good, and then I realized he was wearing the same shoes, just a lot older. Basically you can't go wrong with them as long as you wear them.