Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I just found these on Sunday for $4. They're sz10 horsehide wingtips. They need to be cleaned up, re-soled and heeled. They look to be old, but the uppers are in fantastic condition. Will post more pictures after the fact.

IMGP0842.jpg

IMGP0840.jpg

I love the green stitching on the inside, and green fabric as the background to the 'Florsheim Imperial' detail.

IMGP0844.jpg

emit:

those florsheims are a great bargain. I wouldn't resole them just yet.. .they don't look that bad...

what size did you get?

The heels are shot and if you could feel the sole, you would replace it as well. If they weren't worn, I would definitely not touch them.

They are a size 10 C and surprisingly they fit. I wear a 9 in red wings.

How do those feel?

Not Mich, but I can say that these RWs feel really good. I have a pair, and I put in a pair of RW insoles, and after the break-in period (for the uppers, more than the shoe part) they are pretty comfy. The soles have more give than regular soles, so the impact's almost, but not quite, like you had sneaks on.

I'd wear them with jeans. Mostly the darker the better, although you could go with a beat up pair of jeans and t-shirt and those shoes too. Depends on how you feel in them...

How do those feel?

I'm working as an AC on a film this summer and I need some good work boots. (I would never wear my aldens on a film set, to much stuff to destroy them) Do they feel good all day?

Comfort wise they are great, you really have to add an insole because that's what they lack, but that's it.

they don't need much breaking in.

In winter they keep my feet real warm even though they're unlined, and in summer i found them still wearable, although warm in temperatures over 22 degrees celcius.

I think a low model of these with the crepe sole, would be even more suitable for summer.

lester, try moulded shoes. I read about them on AAAC and went to the store once. The service is great even though I didn't buy anything. I think they do resoling at the store for about $80 or $90 and I'm thinking it won't take as long as sending them to back Alden. Also they'll give you any option for soles that Alden provides.

When you are there, see what other boots they have in your size, they have a limited amount of modified last shoes so it's definitely worth a trip.

BTW why don't you put up a pic of the shoes before and after resoling for us to envy. I'm wearing my Indy's pretty much everyday for 3 weeks and they still look brand spanking new since I'm just walking around NYC (and not fighting fire ants or russian nazis...). thanks in advance

sorry for the delay, here are some 'before' glamour shots, took the boots to moulded, 75$ for resole get them back this week will post after pics after

took them to the shop and the guy looked at them and said, good you wore them correct.

wear: 2.5 years hard almost daily

maintenance: none

IMG_0154-1.jpg

IMG_0152-1.jpg

IMG_0155-1.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

n586269168_1098609_4821-1.jpg

I went out to buy a pair of Indy Boots from Giesche Shoes (Geneva) yesterday knowing full well that it was a Monday and the Manager (And Indy Boot Master) Bryan would not be in to answer any questions I might have had.

I went in thinking that a 10.5EE (My feet being 10.5"x4" in size) would fit me perfectly and low and behold a 10.5EE is not only too long but also too wide. They only had a 10.5B in stock which was far too narrow and too long in the toe and a 10EE which felt perfect everywhere EXCEPT for the heal and back portions of the foot where it was far too WIDE.

Lacing the 10EE tight required the boot strings to be as far pulled in as possible and when the boot was tight it had this odd ballooning of the leather in the mid portions of the shoe. I am guessing when the shoe is the right width the leather does not fan out at the bottom of the boot. Seeing as the B width was FAR too narrow and the EE width too wide I wasn't quite sure what I should order.

Long story long I ended up assuming that a 10E would fit me perfectly (the lovely young lady that was helping me did not know much about Indy Boots or the width size increments) and I ordered a pair.

I was told there is currently a 14 WEEK wait. Lets hope these bad boys fit me just right in the width when they do come in.

I'm just curious why you considered a B as your second choice, rather than a C, D or E (at first), if EE was your first choice.

They ONLY had two boots around my size. They were 10EE and 10.5B. I'm assuming a 10D would of been a decent choice too, but I don't think they had very much in stock.

Reborn, technically as an oxford, those should only be worn with a suit, maybe dress pants. If you want a shoe to wear with jeans, find a derby styled shoe.
Yeah those EGs are meant for more formal wear. And actually I dont think they look very good with jeans either.

I agree and was pretty much just making you guys confirm my hunch. My brother was trying to talk me into beating them up with jeans and getting a sick patina on them. :P

I don't think the problem with them is that they are oxfords, I think it's more the combination of the Edwardian color and 888 last.

I have another EG oxford that's in Dark Oak on the 202 last without the brogueing. The last is much bubblier/full and the dark oak makes them look good with jeans and a blazer, I don't think something being an oxford demands it only be worn with a suit.

sorry, not the greatest sized photos, not so handy with the camera, it seems. but you get the point

Lester!

Those are some crazy boots!

Really nice wear on them. Almost too hard though. :D

demonito:

That is a slick A-2 Whats the make?

I've got a couple myself.

I've actually been wearing the same one daily since 7th grade....woah

Just realized I've been wearing the same jacket for 8 years.

I went out to buy a pair of Indy Boots from Giesche Shoes (Geneva) yesterday knowing full well that it was a Monday and the Manager (And Indy Boot Master) Bryan would not be in to answer any questions I might have had.

I went in thinking that a 10.5EE (My feet being 10.5"x4" in size) would fit me perfectly and low and behold a 10.5EE is not only too long but also too wide. They only had a 10.5B in stock which was far too narrow and too long in the toe and a 10EE which felt perfect everywhere EXCEPT for the heal and back portions of the foot where it was far too WIDE.

Lacing the 10EE tight required the boot strings to be as far pulled in as possible and when the boot was tight it had this odd ballooning of the leather in the mid portions of the shoe. I am guessing when the shoe is the right width the leather does not fan out at the bottom of the boot. Seeing as the B width was FAR too narrow and the EE width too wide I wasn't quite sure what I should order.

Long story long I ended up assuming that a 10E would fit me perfectly (the lovely young lady that was helping me did not know much about Indy Boots or the width size increments) and I ordered a pair.

I was told there is currently a 14 WEEK wait. Lets hope these bad boys fit me just right in the width when they do come in.

Make sure you are positive about the size. I wore the wrong size for 4 years, luckily I did not damage my feet, but seriously, only keep em if you are positive about the size.

The only downside to buying from Giesche, is that so many people buy from them now, and they are a relatively small shop that they keep running out of stock and have to buy more, that's why the 14 week wait.

Reborn:

them are some sick EG's. Deff not for jeans though.

I'd guess I was really far off on the size then.

My feet are 4.5 Inches wide without socks. I was wearing width D.

Don't Be that off. It really hurts.

I went into a redwing store probably 5 years ago, and had my feet measured using their digital imaging foot sizer (you stand on it, and a scanner comes over the top of your feet, measures the width, and they get scanned from below as well.)

That machine said I took a 10.5 E, and I totally did not believe it. Wearing or shoving your feet into a pair of shoes cause they look good is the worst thing you can do to your feet.

Basically I started to develop hammer toe. Wearing oversized rockports to work the past year has corrected this problem, but its a dammed good thing I realized it finally.

The result of me not wanting to wait another 4 months to get the correct size. Stupid me.

Damn. I don't think I could of gone anywhere near that long with ill fitting shoes. I can't stand narrow shoes. Especially tight toe boxes!

My feet are a little bit over 4 inches wide. I might of been happy with a D width, but just a bit too wide is better than too narrow.

How much smaller is a D width than an E width?

Do you think I'll be unhappy with them?

I'd guess I was really far off on the size then.

My feet are 4.5 Inches wide without socks. I was wearing width D.

Don't Be that off. It really hurts.

I went into a redwing store probably 5 years ago, and had my feet measured using their digital imaging foot sizer (you stand on it, and a scanner comes over the top of your feet, measures the width, and they get scanned from below as well.)

That machine said I took a 10.5 E, and I totally did not believe it. Wearing or shoving your feet into a pair of shoes cause they look good is the worst thing you can do to your feet.

Basically I started to develop hammer toe. Wearing oversized rockports to work the past year has corrected this problem, but its a dammed good thing I realized it finally.

The result of me not wanting to wait another 4 months to get the correct size. Stupid me.

You probably would have been fine with 10E or 10EE. If you don't mind some slight tightness for a while 10D will probably be fine. The thing that really got me was the arch to toe area. (straight across the top) That was the tightest spot, which is terrible to have tight.

The real thing you are fitting more so than your heel is the point in which the ball of your foot rests on the shoe. It its in the proper place and you've got good width, I'm pretty sure its better to put inserts in to make up for the looseness in the heel, but that's only if its minor heel moment.

(citation- book on foot care and shoe fit from 1960's :P)

^^ those are cool, but the toes look pretty square :(

Also technicolor, did you think to order them from another place, like the shoemart? yes it may be more expensive, but only like $30-$40 and you may not have to wait 14 weeks. jeez. Well, I guess it's too late now, but I hope the shoes fit when you get them.

edit: nvm, I thought you were in the states

Bryan also has the black 502 Cap boot available.

It's made with basically leather tanned in the same manner as the 405 boot so its more hard wearing than the 86 dress boot.

I stumbled across it and was sure some of you would like it.

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_spe_502.htm

Insane description for this boot:

Medical: A straight last with square toe shape and extra volume. Designed for use in.Uses treatment with corrective measures as well as after treatment for correction maintenance. Originally created as a children's corrective brace boot, removes restrictions in cases of pigeon toes, overlapping toes, and numerous other minor foot conditions. Also used frequently for applications that require a strong, stable brace foundation in adults.