Levi's Vintage Clothing

i have a pair of those - they aren't bad at all, although mine haven't shrunk as much as i'd have liked so they don't get a huge amount of wear. the leg selvedge is mega fat though.

Im really liking the fit and hope mine dont eventually shrink much . Fat selvage is cool in my book . Though I dont think I will wear these cuffed ( for a change ) Will rotate in well with my 47s and 55s .

Edited by mikedbt5

Is the current run of '66 rigids still oversized?

They are. I got a pair of 66 rigids at the SF store in Nov in my true waist size, 36, after trying them on and after soaking and a few months wear, they fit almost as big as my '09 1947s in 38. Not really a problem if you downsize, but def a little big...

Edited by cjfergs

I'm interested in some 1967 505's, but I've got a few questions. Since they're slim fit, does that mean they won't have much room in the seat? Also, I've looked around at sizing advice but opinions seem to be mixed. Would sizing up 1 from a true waist size give me a comfortable but not baggy fit?

I'm interested in some 1967 505's, but I've got a few questions. Since they're slim fit, does that mean they won't have much room in the seat? Also, I've looked around at sizing advice but opinions seem to be mixed. Would sizing up 1 from a true waist size give me a comfortable but not baggy fit?

They are a slim fit and fit well IMO, like all denim it gives a little after some wear from its post wash tightness. I would go TTS as they aint going to shrink like other LVC rigids.

it's the summer time! we're all outside beating up our LEVI's so we can post about them when the cold weather returns.

Too many defectors to denimbro plus a general lethargy towards Sufu and not just this thread in my opinion. Perhaps there's not a huge amount left to be said about indigo-dyed cotton trousers! ;)

it seemed to drop off a lot after the new format.

They are. I got a pair of 66 rigids at the SF store in Nov in my true waist size, 36, after trying them on and after soaking and a few months wear, they fit almost as big as my '09 1947s in 38. Not really a problem if you downsize, but def a little big...

have you washed your 66? that's when levi's really shrink up in my experience.

i'm especially curious because i'm a true 36 waist and was planning on grabbing 66 501s next. been eyeing them for a long time now and i think they're just what i'm after. really curious about the shrinkage though. if you have washed, could you post measurements? maybe some pics? much appreciated!

i'm especially curious because i'm a true 36 waist and was planning on grabbing 66 501s next. been eyeing them for a long time now and i think they're just what i'm after. really curious about the shrinkage though. if you have washed, could you post measurements? maybe some pics? much appreciated!

Tallyho, I haven't washed yet (too many jeans in the rotation to give them enough wear), but had a 30-min hot soak while wearing. Will post pics, and as for measurements, I sadly neglected to do so when raw, but they shrank about an inch after soaking and were rather snug. After a couple months of weekly wear, they measure 19.5 across the back and have exactly a 32 inseam (tagged 36 x 34).

Regular STF, which I have worn for over 15 years, shrink a ton after washing and drying, with little stretch (at least the 96-02 models), so I always followed tag advice, but with LVC, the sizing is so varied you really have to measure each pair, and even after washing (and drying to shrink in the case of my '44s), they still seem to give a lot more in the waist. With the new '66s, I had the luxury of trying on, and may myself be inching closer to a 37 waist, but the inseam is perfect, and they don't really feel baggy at all.

In all, I would say go for a very snug fit to start, whatever the actual waist size of the jean, and up 2 inches if you don't want cuffs, 4 inches if you do. Should also mention that I tend to gravitate toward looser-fitting 501s, but got the '66s specifically to have a skinnier pair in the rotation - and they are compared to most of the styles I have so far ('37, '44, '47, '55) that were all tagged 38 x 36 raw. Still though, the waist is an inch bigger than a pair of the made in mexico stf selvage from '10 I got in a 36 x 32 to experiment (fit great after two soaks, btw), and the exact size of a fresh-from-one-wash '47 raw 38 x 36 I was working on for the cultizm contest, with about a quarter inch wider thigh and a quarter inch thinner calf when laid on top of each other, so go figure...

It's the same for all LVC, get the actual waist measurement of the jeans, go true to size for a slimmer fit, size up 1" for a more vintage fit. If your waist truly measures 36", with the '66 I'm guessing you'd probably want a 35 or 36. My old 4170 '66s started an inch bigger than tagged (size 38, 39") and they fit great.

i will be measuring and soaking a size 33 in '47s, '54s, and '66s later this week for the shop. i will report my findings here.

It's the same for all LVC, get the actual waist measurement of the jeans, go true to size for a slimmer fit, size up 1" for a more vintage fit. If your waist truly measures 36", with the '66 I'm guessing you'd probably want a 35 or 36. My old 4170 '66s started an inch bigger than tagged (size 38, 39") and they fit great.

i certainly appreciate the help, but i know all that. i would almost certainly want size 35, but they don't make them in that size, as far as i know - hence the dilemma. think the 34 would shrink too much and the 36 not enough. and this is all after trying on both a 34 and a 36 in the raw.

really wish brands would produce one inch increments above 34. oh well...

i certainly appreciate the help, but i know all that. i would almost certainly want size 35, but they don't make them in that size, as far as i know - hence the dilemma. think the 34 would shrink too much and the 36 not enough. and this is all after trying on both a 34 and a 36 in the raw.

really wish brands would produce one inch increments above 34. oh well...

I thought they made a 35... I guess 31 and 33 are the only odd size.

You've tried them on and can't make you your mind.... ? :wacko: I don't think there's much we can do to help...

You've tried them on and can't make you your mind.... ? :wacko: I don't think there's much we can do to help...

yep. was really only hoping for post wash measurements on the size 36x34 1966 501s that cjfergs has. (or if anyone has size 36 1966s and has washed them)

Tallyho -- I have a pair of 1966's, size 36. They've been washed a couple times, but not in a while. Current measurements...

Waist: 37.5"

Front Rise: 12"

Upper Thigh: 13.25"

Hem: 8.3"

Bear in mind that they've been worn many times since their last wash.

Edited by josh mullen

I just noticed that the fabric in the back of my 20's chinos is slowly coming apart. I can se some small tears forming close to the "butt seam". I've only had them for about a month, and have only worn them around town really. Should I wait and see if they actually rip and then try to return them, or just bring them to someone who can do some kind of reinforcement?

I really like them, and the store where i bought them doesn't have any left in stock, so if i return them i would probably not be able to get hold of another pair.

i would return them, for what they cost that should not be happening esp after only 30 days of wear. a pair of $30 dickies would hold up better than that. the concept is you're paying more money for better quality; if levi's isn't holding up their end get a refund.

Edited by colgems1966

i would return them, for what they cost that should not be happening esp after only 30 days of wear. a pair of $30 dickies would hold up better than that. the concept is you're paying more money for better quality; if levi's isn't holding up their end get a refund.

Yeah, I'll go back tomorrow and see what they can do. The tears are minimal though, four or five 1/2 mm holes in a line, each with some yarn left between them. Last week i ripped my almost new pair of 505's so badly the zipper broke and has to be replaced. Repairing the hole and replacing the zipper will probably end up costing me more than i originally payed for the jeans. I'll never again by anything with a zipper, thats for sure.

Also, quality doesn't always equal durability. A pair of Dickies would surely hold up better than most of the brands discussed here. With LVC, you really only pay that premium for the fit and design, not because they last longer than other clothes, even if that is what we keep telling ourselves to justify the high prices.

Yeah, I'll go back tomorrow and see what they can do. The tears are minimal though, four or five 1/2 mm holes in a line, each with some yarn left between them. Last week i ripped my almost new pair of 505's so badly the zipper broke and has to be replaced. Repairing the hole and replacing the zipper will probably end up costing me more than i originally payed for the jeans. I'll never again by anything with a zipper, thats for sure.

Also, quality doesn't always equal durability. A pair of Dickies would surely hold up better than most of the brands discussed here. With LVC, you really only pay that premium for the fit and design, not because they last longer than other clothes, even if that is what we keep telling ourselves to justify the high prices.

>>>>> i see your point but obstensibly LVC is supposed to be a replica of the originals which were certainly rugged. if they're going to do a replica line i would think replication of the original quality would be a given. i guarantee you an original pair bought in 1920 would have been returned to the merchant for a refund with the small amount of wear and problems you're experiencing. Levi's has letters in their archives of miners wearing 501's for years at hard labor and returning them because they did't hold up. that's how high the bar was in the real world of workwear when people actually bought these to work in.

What shop. Will you put up snaps.

BlackBlue in saint paul, MN. we carry a lot of LVC and 5 other brands of selvage denim, have a union special...blah blah haha

i can take some quick pictures for sure.

Not a bad idea, Satchel. It can be tough sell, so your set of shrunk pairs will probably pay for itself when people can try the shrunk fit.

Is the bicyclist we sized happy with his 47s? I know he was leery about our advice!!!