Levi's Vintage Clothing

Has elastane been frequently used for LVC?

I have seen this season's 1960 605 online, with 2points elastane and 98points cotton.

I wondered if this made the denim 'inferior'? It just doesn't seem authentic. Or does it prolong it's life, with less chance of holes and tear?

I am after some slim-fit dark denim LVC, and have seen this seasons 1960 605 in 'heavy rain' I believe, and wanted to know if there were other 100% cotton options from the LVC with the same/similar dark blue wash...I don't think anything is the same cut...maybe the 1954 501 tapered?

Or should I go for these 1960 605 or would I regret it?

Thanks

Bought the 1953 Type II Blanket Lined Jacket. Love it is made in the USA and the fit is pretty good. Only issue is the same brought up about the 47's and it is that the buttons feel pretty cheap compared to the ones on my other LVC items. Not worth the retail price but I got it on sale and might still have paid too much but it looks to be sold out online.

Edited by Bamahater

Bought the 1953 Type II Blanket Lined Jacket. Love it is made in the USA and the fit is pretty good. Only issue is the same brought up about the 47's and it is that the buttons feel pretty cheap compared to the ones on my other LVC items. Not worth the retail price but I got it on sale and might still have paid too much but it looks to be sold out online.

that jacket is nice, where did you get it? sale? it's listed for 425 at unionmade

Edited by chris_n

Just started to read this thread and it's making my head spin!!! So much to catch up on! So what are some of the slim tapered models? I'm trying to research a couple of pairs. Thanks in advance.

anyone wanting a slim/tapered LVC 501 should surely try the 1954 501Z XX. the purists will be annoyed by the zipper and some people might have a problem with the high rise, big pockets and antifit butt. i think it's awesome and has a much more "old-school" feel/fit than the '47 and is much much slimmer from the thigh downward than the 66.

i open the floor up to debate about authenticity of the zipper/fit/etc...

the high-rise is refreshing. they don't shrink that much in the waist, leg or ass just about an inch in length after two warm soaks and appear significantly darker than the '47s or '66s (what we carry in the shop).

we sell a lot of these to guys and a surprising amount to girls at the shop--mostly to dudes who love the LVC story and the idea of shrink-to-fit/unsanforized/loomstate denim but have worn skinny or slim jeans for the past few years and can't quite stomach the leap to how straight the '47s are. these can get pretty slim depending on how high you wear them. i've discovered that braces (again discuss authenticity) help keep them higher than a belt.

a big percentage of '54 buyers are making the leap from APC new standards. when looking to step up their game, interestingly, customers are often choosing between these and raleigh's thin cut. often choosing the '54 LEVI's over left field, raleigh, tellason, & baldwin's slim offerings.

i am surprised this style doesn't get more love here but i understand why,

i've worn these daily for 4 months. more/better pictures anon.

photo-46.jpg

Edited by satchelbmoore

Posted · Hidden by Paul T, January 13, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Paul T, January 13, 2012 - No reason given

Why would the "purists" be annoyed by the zipper?

Lots of people were confused, rather than annoyed, about the modernized, narrow cut, principally because it wasn't explained.

that's an awesome old illustration. love how small the cuffs are. it's like what concept car designers to do tires. what's this image from?

i wish my gf dressed like that girl on the left. but only during the winter.

Edited by satchelbmoore

@satchelbmoore: beware you or your gf might get yourselves in a little trouble if you inadvertently adopt the full-on OG skinhead look LOL.. that being said there are definitely some strong aesthetics within that movement that i myself incorporate in my daily wear (barracudas, ma-1s,1460s, sta-prest, 505's..) i just make sure to not wear them all together! i suggest checking out the fantastic "This is England" movie if you are not too familiar with the original skinhead movement originating from the UK (which to me has been kinda ruined by boneheads across the world..which the film touches upon)

about the 54z, i think you nailed it on the head.. it's definitely a good lvc initiation model, it was my first LVC coming from APCs (which i now have all donated to the gf). but they are now my least favorite pair, too modern or something!

Edited by min2max

There is nothing wrong with the 1954 501z having a zipper because it was the first 501 model with a zipper. What isnt authentic about it is the fit. Which I think Levi's altered to cater to people who can't get over tapered jeans. The fit should be more like the 1947 and 1955.

That's not to say you should t like them. If they look good on you and you like them then more power to you. But authentic reproductions of a 1954 501z, they are not.

Just started to read this thread and it's making my head spin!!! So much to catch up on! So what are some of the slim tapered models? I'm trying to research a couple of pairs. Thanks in advance.

From skinniest:

1954 501Z. Very modernized cut.

1967 505 (a Sanforized jean, with Japanese Kaihara denim, so a slightly different vibe). Slightly modernized cut, slightly lower rise.

1966 501/1947 501. The 47 is skinnier in the same waist (as measured) but the 66 has a more tapered leg (rather then straight) and its shape is much more suited to sizing down. if you do so in the 66, this will give the skinniest, authentic cut - what Nick Knight's kidz are wearing.

Edited by Paul T

@satchelbmoore: beware you or your gf might get yourselves in a little trouble if you inadvertently adopt the full-on OG skinhead look LOL.. that being said there are definitely some strong aesthetics within that movement that i myself incorporate in my daily wear (barracudas, ma-1s,1460s, sta-prest, 505's..) i just make sure to not wear them all together! i suggest checking out the fantastic "This is England" movie if you are not too familiar with the original skinhead movement originating from the UK (which to me has been kinda ruined by boneheads across the world..which the film touches upon)

about the 54z, i think you nailed it on the head.. it's definitely a good lvc initiation model, it was my first LVC coming from APCs (which i now have all donated to the gf). but they are now my least favorite pair, too modern or something!

Technically "THIS IS ENGLAND" was not the first skinhead wave, but in fact more of a mid point in the skinhead movement. The original skinheads were Jamaican. :) "THIS IS ENGLAND" shows the second wave of skinheads after the politics came into the movement and ruined it.

I think the 54's are great jeans. I love mine. I think the only thing I hate is the quality of the Talon zipper. It's just shitty in comparison to Gripper Zippers or regular Scovil zippers of the same time period. The denim is great on the 54's and the back pockets are a great shape and placement. I highly suggest getting them.

@m2m,

thanks for the heads up. while i am an arsenal fan, my jew-beard, love for money-grubbing and intense passion for bagels should counteract the look.

Has elastane been frequently used for LVC?

I have seen this season's 1960 605 online, with 2points elastane and 98points cotton.

I wondered if this made the denim 'inferior'? It just doesn't seem authentic. Or does it prolong it's life, with less chance of holes and tear?

I am after some slim-fit dark denim LVC, and have seen this seasons 1960 605 in 'heavy rain' I believe, and wanted to know if there were other 100% cotton options from the LVC with the same/similar dark blue wash...I don't think anything is the same cut...maybe the 1954 501 tapered?

Or should I go for these 1960 605 or would I regret it?

Thanks

anyone? these here http://www.asos.com/search/605?hrd=1&q=605&r=2

want some lvc in that pure blue colour. worried about the crappy elastane. 54 501 may not be slim/tapered enough for the smaller guy

they look good imo (though i've not seen them in the flesh) - but notice they have both seams felled, so there's no selvedge if that matters to you.

for the record, skinheads are a white, working class british culture originally, not jamaican - the late 60s wave just happened to proper love their ska & rocksteady. in many ways, they're the spiritual forefathers of many on these very boards too - workwear fetishists to a man, which is where the docs/levis/braces combo comes from. B)

Edited by killer b

1966 501/1947 501. the 66 has a more tapered leg (rather then straight) and its shape is much more suited to sizing down. if you do so in the 66, this will give the skinniest, authentic cut - what Nick Knight's kidz are wearing.

ill second this... the 66 i just got are downsized(i got a 32x32 and normally wear a 32 in japanese repros that shrink to tag) and have a very authentic 60s look to them. makes me want to start wearing more skin style clothes, tho i may feel strange with my beard and shaggy hair.

Posted · Hidden by Bamahater, January 13, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Bamahater, January 13, 2012 - No reason given

that jacket is nice, where did you get it? sale? it's listed for 425 at unionmade

Bought mine from Hanon Shop in the UK. It was on sale for about $318 shipped to the US. Barneys had it as well for about $260-280 and I ordered it online but my order was canceled.