Levi's Vintage Clothing

It was introduced at different times on different models. I'd be interested to see a Big E 501 with the stock-control tag, though. Are there any photos of one in the Lightning guide?

Yeah, p34 - 1970-73 model. Big E and stock control card.

Here is a snap of the patch on my dead stock Big E pair that I put to about 1970-71

tumblr_lhwee4cAiL1qdfd7i.jpg

more info http://bluegoldblues.com/post/3784994047/1969-73-deadstock-big-e-levis-501

In regards to the the XX transition here is a 'before and after' if you like

tumblr_lksa7p8EFt1qdfd7i.jpg

http://bluegoldblues.com/post/5247473031/early-1960s-hidden-rivet-levis-lot-501-xx

and

tumblr_llloouyoso1qdfd7i.jpg

http://bluegoldblues.com/post/5732130285/1966-67-big-e-levis-501-rare-model

These are apparently oversized, like the last batch of 1915, by circa two inches. So buy your actual waist. There are suggestions the 1915 didn't shrink that much - erk?

sorry, I've been out of town.

1915 501xx tagged 32x36

**pre soak:

tagged 32x36

waist: 35

inseam: 36.75

knee: 10

hem: 9

thigh: 12.25

front rise: 13

back rise: 17

**post soak

waist: 34

inseam: 34

knee: 9.5

hem: 8.75

thigh: 12

front rise: 12.5

back rise: 16

I thought the shrinkage was pretty standard. I think I got a little less with these cause I was trying to keep them from shrinking too much. just a warm soak and all cold washes.

I really like the idea of a 1922, and I definitely agree with the idea that they made these as a 1915 with belt loops sorta thing. To me the back pocket pattern looks almost the same, but the arcuate looks very attractive to me. looks pretty authentic to me. the shape of the pocket though is outrageous. I think I still want a 1944 instead.

need some help here, just got a pair of 1967 505, was rather surprised to find that they were true to size despite the constant oversizing of the other models. So i was wondering, will it be good to just wear them raw or just try to soak, wear and stretch it out. ( made in turkey ones )

need some help here, just got a pair of 1967 505, was rather surprised to find that they were true to size despite the constant oversizing of the other models. So i was wondering, will it be good to just wear them raw or just try to soak, wear and stretch it out. ( made in turkey ones )

If you're concerned about shrinkage, 505s are sanforized and will shrink negligibly. 3%?

If they're tight now, they will stretch with wear or if you wear them wet.

Don't worry about the 505's, if they fit you now, they will be ok. As they are made in Turkey, they're probably washed, in which case they won't shrink anyway. The 3% btw means they shrink in a wash and stretch back. Just the way all jeans do anyway.

Oh yeah, been watching these original deadstock 1947-52 501's -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Levis-501-42X32-/260810484725?pt=US_CSA_MC_Jeans&hash=item3cb9842bf5

Thanks for posting these. Interesting contrast to another pair I\ve posted in this thread - later, I guess, with generally paler stitching, I've a feeling they should be able to afford a German dishwasher, at least.

INteresting selvage line, as well, shoved out to the very edge of the selvage. Again, shows how much variaiton there was in the product at the time.

For our reference...

leftpocket-1.jpg

rightpocket.jpg

patch.jpg

Interesting that the back pocket flasher has a small 'e' despite the big 'E' on the red tab...

Here you go Mr. T

1970-73 501 'E'

paullevis001.jpg

paullevis002.jpg

paullevis003.jpg

(sorry about the poor quality shots - taken on my 'point and shoot' in a dark flat)

the levi\s orporate redesigh, with batwing, was done in 1969 IIRC - the little e was used widely on advertising and POS before it made its way to the red tab.

Interesting seeing those shots, thanks folks. I know I've seen very late Big E 502 and 501 with the old style tag.. I"d be surprised if there was three years full production with the stock control, or indeed that many big E were around in 1973, that's another question I shall save up when I see my Levi's fella who knows where a lot of those bodies are buried. (He always points out that there was a lot of variation between factories)

I liked that, the sense of discovery, and also the new-found politeness when they realised they were going to get more $$$$

lol I noticed that too... I guess he can now buy a new kitchen...